Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

But that's just my opinion.^^

Exactly.

I prefare the japanese with subs. I hate the dubs but this may be because I started whatching it in japanese. I also agree with the names, the dubbed voises dont really fit in with the chacters.

*nods enthusiastically* Just spell "prefer" correctly next time...

Japanese all the way. I never even bothered to check out the English dubbed version. I tried the Chinese one for a while, but it was just weird after listening to Japanese for so long. The voices are better and there's a lot in Japanese that wouldn't make sense if it was converted to English. There's nothing wrong with English, it's just that the plot-line fits better in Japanese. Subs are usually pretty good as well.

Same reasons as everyones listing... I love the JAPANESE WAAAYYYYY more... but also I like it because most of the time it just sounds better in Japanese then it is dubbed...

I really wish that they would sell subbed japanese DC videos at my book store, where I get all my DC from... because to have to by the subbed and all the codes are written in japanese with no subs, then I can't figure out what they're doing....

The name change is not annoying, the Funimation have to change it because of copy right law. And the name in English are cool, I like them!

If their changed their name due to copy right, why did other dubs used the same names (like in the arabic dub)? anyways they should make it still sound similar to the japanese names.

Good thing they stopped dubbing it...

The tittle is Detective Conan, they have to change it because the named 'Detective Conan' have offended someone and there is a detective who name is Conan!

And the rest is just to go with the tittle^^

The tittle is Detective Conan, they have to change it because the named 'Detective Conan' have offended someone and there is a detective who name is Conan!

You are gravely misinformed. They never said why they changed Detective Conan to Case Closed, but most people believe it is because of Conan the Barbarian.

As much as I'd like to watch Anime in Japanese I can't. I don't understand Japanese at all. I can only watch it through the translation of either English or Chinese, but however sometimes the translation aren't 100% accurate and it's very weird hearing/seeing it.

Japanese hands down. In fact, there's VERY few anime that I can stand in English. In my opinion, Code Geass was the only anime that pulled out dubbing without taking the whole story down with it and still made it awesome. They change so much when they dub it that I just stick with subbing.

I agree with you, I don't like most dubbed animes. The one I did like was Ouran High School Host Club.

Japanese, always Japanese. While I do enjoy the English dub (gasp) and think FUNimation did their best with it by the guidelines that were given to them I will still always choose the Japanese. Mostly for the reasons that have already been stated before. (and I have to admit I didn't read the whole thread because I did the LAZY thing)

My main reason though for choosing Japanese is because of the names. I'll always prefer Shinichi to Jimmy as far as names go. -.>

I always watch anime in japanese. Japanese is the original language so you get it the way it was meant to be seen, I also hate the way they have changed the names in the English version so japanese is the only way i would want to watch.

Look, all the reason that you guys stated why you prefer the dubbed or subbed, they are all true but SO WHAT???

The name change is not annoying, the Funimation have to change it because of copy right law. And the name in English are cool, I like them!

Since English is my first language, I like it better! I have no obligation toward Subbed but I think subbed is annoying. Why? Because the expression, since I don't understand Japanese, all the changes of expression sound the same to me and it is NOT cool!

Dubbed are just cooler!

To all you guys out there who English is their first language, admit it, you like the dubbed better! Easier to understand too! You guys are just ashamed that the Funimation cut the dubbed episode right through

I now know, I personally prefer the English Dub, because how I think about it is when I re-watch Detective Conan Movies. I always watch movies 1-6 in English Dub than reading it in english sub. "If the English Dub is available, of course."

Japanese. Not English, wanna know why? I have a two major reasons:

1. Cause english sounds irritating to my ear. I've watched a dub version and i just can't stand their voices and their diction and the emotion that should be portrayed(or sound?) and everything xD

2. English just doesn't suit jap. cartoons/animes.

Soredake dayo. Bow :)