Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Could somebody tell me what did they do to the country the events are taking at in the English translation? Did they change it to the USA or did it stay Japan in spite of the changed names?

Oh my Lord, there are a bunch of inconsistencies with that. There will be times where it will be in Japan, but then there are times when it's in America. And it's like... which one is it?????????

Oh my Lord, there are a bunch of inconsistencies with that. There will be times where it will be in Japan, but then there are times when it's in America. And it's like... which one is it?????????

This is weird especially considering the fact there was an episode where they travelled to America from Japan.

A bit late to the party on this one, but I might as well voice my opinion, I like the English dub better than watching the sub, I have my reasons. One reason I guess is that to me the voice actors of the main characters fit surprisingly well for a dub, when we get to minor character's and one off characters I felt like they didn't even try to cast them and found someone from the break room to try and voice them. Now for me the name changes were not that much of a problem. The names in my opinion seemed to fit the characters well for an English dub. My only big peeve with the English dub is that half the time they don't even know if they are in Japan or the US...when I started watching the show I assumed that they were in Japan and then some episodes they all of the sudden wanted to be American, it was almost as bad as the localization of Phoenix Wright games, I just wish they just stuck to the whole "Yeah we are in Japan and we are speaking english, don't question it" approach. Now finally for me I love mystery shows and I like to be able to hear and see everything that is going on around me to see if I can beat the show to solving the crime. I find it harder to focus and put everything together with the sub, maybe I will get use to it eventually, but as of now I still think the english dub is very good for what it is, and if FUNimation for whatever reason continued to do the dub of the show I would support it fully. 

I would also go for Japanese(subs). And it will be a big headache for the makers to translate the actual content in English version and as usual there will be many inconsistencies... :)

Nihonggo!

I don't like the English dub because:

1.THE NAMES! Okay, maybe TMS Entertainment asked Funimation to change them to appeal to Americans, but they could have picked better names! (Harley?!). And they really try to make it seem like it's in America (they even changed Mount Fuji's name!)

2. THE VOICES! Japanese seiyuus are just more serious, since just lately did America consider "cartoons" not just for kids.

Also, I'm surprised no one stated this pro-Japanese reason: so we can learn! 

I do not know Japanese. I only know English and Urdu (that is my national language). I am a Pakistani.

It would be sooo nice of you if you please dub all the episode in English. I really really want all the episodes in english :( please !!!!

Didn't they stop the FUNimation dub? I don't really like dub because the voices don't really fit in with the characters and the names don't either  :huh:

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.
1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.
2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.
3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!
But that's just my opinion.^^

^^ My thoughts exactly

Okay, lets watch Case Closed, the English version of Detective Conan, and not meet Ai/Vi, unless you watch the movies.  On top of it, lets change all the Japanese names to English ones, and lets no longer be in Tokyo.  Instead, let it be New York (I think it was NY).  I am being sarcastic. 

I don't mind English, if they keep the proper names of people and places and things.  Otherwise, I prefer Japanese.  

Funimation, in general, doesn't suck. After all, I prefer their dub of Full Metal Panic! to the actual Japanese. Sousuke's voice, man..

But someone died and let an idiot make the big decisions somewhere between Japan and whatever was aired in America. I'm mean. It's just like... somehow they never got the feel of it or something. Although I've been scanning everyone's responses to this, I will disagree about Kogoro. I think their version of Kogoro is about as spot-on as an English dub can possibly be.

I hate the Jimmy thing. I just... why Jimmy. WHY. JIMMY. Sorry, Uncle Jimmy. I just feel that the name has passed it's age. Is that possible? Idk, it just vaguely reminds me of things like Gertrude. Or .. something you call a kid when they're a kid and then you call them their actual full name as they get older..? It just makes it hard for me to take him seriously. ((Harley?!?! We're not even going to start with the many names they've made up for Haibara..))

Conan's voice makes me cringe and Ran sounds almost unfriendly. If you watch it long enough, everyone sounds reasonable with the exception of Conan, for me, that is. But what I cannot stand is how they just decided that "Harley" knows about the Organization just to create unnecessary suspense. It jacks up the entire plot. And since it makes no sense, they just opt to ignore it? Like 'eh, no one will notice :D' I never really watched past that so I can't really point anything else out... >.> Japanese all the way, man. What does it mean?!

Japanese sub for sure.

Why I dislike the English dub:

-the names

-the voices of certain characters (they aren't even close to amounting to the Japanese voice actors)

-they screwed up some of the plot/script

-the names

-they do an awful job translating the murders that have to do with Japanese language/culture

-the names

-I absolutely hate the names. Especially "Jimmy", and "Harley". Oh my gosh, they're so bad. I can't even..

If I overlook the horrible names, I can get used to the English dub after a while, but the Japanese sub still completely outclasses the English dub. Seriously.

-the voices of certain characters (they aren't even close to amounting to the Japanese voice actors)

-they do an awful job translating the murders that have to do with Japanese language/culture

-I absolutely hate the names. Especially "Jimmy", and "Harley". Oh my gosh, they're so bad. I can't even..

I couldn't agree more with those three points. The names and voices don't fit the characters at all and the episodes that are based on Japanese customs would be completely ruined. I mean the name 'Harley Hartwell' really bugs me.

Japanese , because it sounds better to me and after reading the manga I really can't listen to the English dub. It just doesn't feel right. Also the puns work much better in Japanese.

in Japanese, of course -- I'll only watch dubbed versions if I want to have my fingers curl up and shrivel away from awkwardness...

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks the dub sounds so awkward and "off"...

I can't decide. I love both the Original Japanese Dub and the English dub just as much. I first started watching the Case Closed (English dub) when I first started getting into the series, but since they stopped making the episodes in English, I decided to move on to watching the rest of the series in its original Japanese dub.

I like Case Closed for what it is though, but I'll have to go for the Japanese Dub (Detective Conan) to my liking since I'm familiar with Conan's Voice Actress.

Okay so I'm guilty of watching dubbed anime whenever I can. Why? Because often times than not I need a break from reading subtitles... or I'm watching something at night and am laying in bed so don't feel like wearing my glasses just to read along. End result, I'll watch things dubbed. When I end up re-watching the DC series in the near to distant future I'll, without a doubt, watch the first 5 seasons in english and then catch what isn't dubbed in Japanese with subtitles. Now, this isn't because of a preference so much as my brain being lazy, that's all. I enjoy the series both ways just fine. >v<