Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

But that's just my opinion.^^

I agree :)

Especially in:

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

In the Latin translation it is the same and worse ... some characters haven't names defined as in the case of Heiji.

Also the Latin translation haven't defined each character voice. I hate that translation so I'd rather see the chapters in Japanese translated into Spanish or English :B

I prefare the japanese with subs. I hate the dubs but this may be because I started whatching it in japanese. I also agree with the names, the dubbed voises dont really fit in with the chacters.

For now, I don't know japanese so I prefer the english-Dubbed versions. English-Subbed version is good since it's accurate but, unlike other animes, Detective Conan plots is sophisticated, one must fully utilize the ears and eyes. In english-subbed version, I keep pausing to not miss the subtle details. But once I learn japanese, problem solved.

But same to you guys, I like the japanese names to be retained too.

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

Have they? I thought Funimation is still doing the series, although they're released straight to DVDs. :/ I could be wrong though, cause I'm not a fan of the dubs, either.

I like watching it in Japanese and just having English subtitles. For one, like what was already mentioned, the names are kept. I've known Shinichi as Shinichi ever since I was a kid and I don't like to see him, or any other character, do a name change. :D Second, it helps me with my Japanese, even for a little bit. :D

EDIT: It seems that there are no plans to dub the other seasons. :o

It depends for me. Some puns are more American in the english dub, like smaller puns I may not understad (Becase I'm just that stupid) I like being able to hear the dialouge. If they somehow managed to dub it word-for-word, then I'd prefer english.

i think they're both equal, and both have downsides. the downside to english is (i think) that some voices dont match the charecters as much as the japanese voices and FunImation doesnt updated a lot. the downside to japanese (i think) that after you watch a lot of detective conan episodes eyes start straining (sometimes not (depends))

i think i was the only one to choose English, oh well i stand by my choice, which was probably from hearing the English one before the Japanese ones, that and i don't like Conan's thinking voice

i think i was the only one to choose English, oh well i stand by my choice, which was probably from hearing the English one before the Japanese ones, that and i don't like Conan's thinking voice

I heard the English dub before watching it with the original audio, and I still favor the Japanese dialogue (not least of which because of things I discovered when I went back to the English dub after having been away from it for several years)

Japanese all the way~! I really hate the fact that they've changed all the characters' names.

Though I started watching this series with Thais dub ( i was like every little) :oops: but the names are the same as Japanese version. :lol:

Japanese!

I consider the English dubbed version just.. weird. Yes, like everyone else said, the names change (although they DID kind of match it up well) and the voices get a bit messed up. Parodies are the best with English though xD

Japanese.

I completely agree with what is listed and:

4. I don't like the sound of the English dub. The Japanese sounds "better" than the English (making it original). Two of these few reasons that English can't do is: (a) A man with a deep voice. Sure, they could get one or find one but the deep voices of some voice actors in the Japanese are way better than their "corny" sound English dubbers. (B) Cute sounds made from a cute girl [ref. to small girls or kids] and from a cute animal. If they dub it, it's either as good as the Japanese or just butchered.

No matter how I look at it, the Japanese voices really flow into me (ref. to the anime; not the real life people talking in Japanese because I have never heard one talk ). It really gives that "anime" or seriousness effect. Plus, it makes you "love" them in some way.

5. When the English dubbers take the dub, either they do it better than the Japanese (a little bit better) or butcher it (as in something so crappy you wouldn't want to hear it). The Japanese (anime) songs are really great and I admire it. I have never heard of a crappy Japanese song. Personally, I like those annoying ones like some of those songs from Lucky Star.

Remember: These are my opinions so please don't bother criticizing me. I'd appreciate it a lot. :>

Haha, I agree mostly with those listed reasons.

]: I started watching the subbed versions a lot more than what little I can in dubs, and I found that I don't really care much for Conan's English voice--it's kind of.. annoying (for lack of better term). The Japanese voice actors/actresses are marvelously chosen, and on the subject of the name changes, I quite prefer the traditional Japanese names -- they're Japanese people in Japan -- and the inserts of kanji that the English version just doesn't work with.

It is a shame that it's not all been translated to the dubs either way. My little cousins just love Case Closed (they don't know it by Detective Conan), and they're a bit young to be able to follow subscripts so easily, so they couldn't watch the Japanese version if they could. One of the only downsides (save for the lazy days when I myself don't feel like reading subs).

Japanese! haha! because Conans voice really cute! :D then suddenly when he is thinking he's voice become serious.

of course, while he is serious, the voice of him when he is serious is shinichi's voice. Conan's voice actor is a female. This explains why his voice is cute and lovely. i also choose Japanese as i just dont like dubbed movies or videos...