Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

though i don't really understand japanese well but i just have the feeling that the original language is better as the voice of the character would not keep changing due to a change in people who dub the video..

Japanese with English subtitles definitely. I almost died from laughing after reading what they did in the dub (Genta becoming George Kaminsky and so on). By the way, did they also change the country in which the events take place to justify the names of the characters?

Between Japanese and English i prefer Japanese language mostly becouse of the names (Harley Hartwell omg are you kiding me xD). But still my favorite episodes are on German language. They did an awesome job, names are the same as in Japanese language and the voices of all characters are great. Even the humor is not lost. The problem is that the German tv only produced 333 episodes and for years fans have been waiting for new ones. I hope VIVA will relese new episodes in 2013.

well, in stead of english, when I was a child i watched it with chinese dub, until a day came that they stopped with that, so i have to watch it in Japanese, and my first reation is: what are they saying, holy!!! it sound so... weird.

but if i now watch it with chinese or english dub, i definitely will be annoyed by that.

what I now think about it , is just that Japanese is the original dub so why would you change it in an other language

Between Japanese and English i prefer Japanese language mostly becouse of the names (Harley Hartwell omg are you kiding me xD). But still my favorite episodes are on German language. They did an awesome job, names are the same as in Japanese language and the voices of all characters are great. Even the humor is not lost. The problem is that the German tv only produced 333 episodes and for years fans have been waiting for new ones. I hope VIVA will relese new episodes in 2013.

yeah that's true, when they use the original name then it will be beter.

but yeah, in german/english whatever which language you have to watch longer than for the Japanese one

Japanese for a few reasons:

1. Can't get used to the English Names: I'm used to calling Shinchi Shinchi, not Jimmy. Yeah...

2. Voice Actors: I usually prefer sub over dub in other animes too. I don't know, Japanese VAs sound cooler. 

3. Language Barriers: Some tricks are easier to be understood in Japanese. Like which American would know how Japanese people hold Sushi? Probably only a few, but it was a key to solving the case in 3 Ks of Osaka (dub isn't there yet though)

4. Openings: Japanese openings FTW, all the way!

That's pretty all from me.

To be totally honest i prefer the english dub.

The reason:

In 04 i watched it on adult swim and i was hooked. It was cancelled in 2010, but may be coming back.

I prefer it to subs, because in subs i have to read, but in dubs all i have to do is listen, meaning i can pick up more detail.

Plus, i like that i can actually understand it, unlike the japanese subs.

I recently ordered season 1 of case closed.

I already watched all episodes, but will ASAP be buying Season 2 to support the series.

Funimation said they have bright plans for case closed this year. (Finally) 

It's gotta be the Original Japanese version  ;).
Although I first saw the series through Funimation's English dub, I can push through any nostalgia I had for it. The dub had major changes to suit an American audience; Something I very much disagree with in the dubbing business (Even the name of the series was changed! :( ). The acting is pretty corny as well. In Japan, voice acting is a very well respected profession, so even children's show like DC are of top-notch quality.

Really I think the show was just unlucky enough to be picked up by an earlier, less experienced Funimation. They do better now, but I never watch English dubs anyway. It just annoys me that they did what they did and then just left the series for dead. Even the releases they did put out had issues. It's enough to make me wish that Funimation would just erase what they've done, start all over again and do it right. If not, just drop the license and have another company who'll do it justice pick it up. 

DC is the only anime I never watch in dub. I don't like that the dub changed the names (and some jokes) and I just like the voices in the original Japanese much better. I'm thankful to Conan for helping me read subs a heck of a lot faster. The only drawback to the Japanese is I can't multitask (namely doodle) while I watch. ^^

The name changes on the major characters didn't bother me so much at first because I had gotten used to it from the manga translations.  However as things went on their attempt to pretend that the stories were in North America became more and more absurd.  Ontario?  Really?

What we really need is partial English dub.  

I'm fine with Kudo speaking Japanese in a Japanese accent, since he is Japanese.  I'm fine with Kudo speaking Engrish in heavily accented Japanese, because that is realistic.

However, FBI agents that can't speak proper English is almost as bad as "Ontario Castle".  I wish that the American and British characters were dubbed by native speakers of the actual dialects.  

I prefer the japanese. The dub just doesn't have the same tone. Some anime I prefer the english, but DC is better in the original. Though their english speakers are terrible. In the 4th live action movie, Edward from the plane case actually spoke decent english, and I about had a heart attack xD