Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

But that's just my opinion.^^

it also effect the funny parts. like when heiji give him the achohol at EP 48, conan was drunk and the jap dub he say "Ran-nee-chan~~ *hiccup*" if in eng dub he say like "hey babe~~"

and conan's voice in eng dub is not cute like jap dub.

Definitely up there with some of the best english dubs

Although I still find Steel Angel Kurumi and Yu Yu Hakusho to have far better dubs

They translate the jokes to american jokes in those ones xD

Still, I prefer in japanese because if I watch in english till they stop showing them in english. Then I will be very confused because of the name changes and voices xD

Kogoro sounds way better in the english though than in japanese xD

I don't know why, but of all the dubs, I think the english ones are the worst. I'm talking for most of animes here. The Japanese is no doubt the best one. The Chinese one isn't bad. The french one isn't all that horrible either. I'm just asking, does anyone else feel that the English dubs sound the weirdest? Or is it just...me..? O.o

The route of this problem is how animation and voice acting is perceived in American culture. Only in the last say, 5 to 10 years have people in both fields really seem to get some respect coming their way, and even then, it's like molasses in January. Cartoons are viewed as only for children, and voice actors are perceived as not being able to cut it as normal actors... ignoring the fact that most of them have to make emotion in their voice stronger so you can sense or hear it without actually seeing them. There's a lot of other issues with being a dub actor, such as fitting different text (due to language differences) in the same frames, make it sound natural, and still do all that other stuff that a voice actor always does.

A good way to gauge the voice acting field is by the Dynasty Warriors video games series. It was pretty bad, overall, for the first few games, and each one is progressively better as cast members come and go. (I'm not just saying this because I'm friends with one of the newer additions to team, either. He's just that good.) It helps they've started giving them the correct pronunciations of the names, too.

I'm ambivalent to the Case Closed dub, and I really enjoyed "Jimmy's" voice, but overall it was just in that time period where dubs were still super bad, (minus Bebop), due to the same few people doing all of the work, and I question their talent. Without it, I don't know when I would have ever discovered Detective Conan.

Although I still find Steel Angel Kurumi and Yu Yu Hakusho to have far better dubs

The problem with the YYH dub is that they changed sooooo much in the dialogue, it changed entire scenes. Someone mentioned to me a few weeks back that the voice actors went back and redubbed scenes for the BluRay because they were so off. I really liked their voices, and if one of my favorite actors was not in the original, (and without all the changes), I would have been perfectly content with it. Yusuke's voice was perfect.

English dubbed episodes are just confusing because they make up different names for most of the characters, and it's hard to imagine ShinRan as JimRach(?!), or Heiji as Harley or Kazuha as Katie (wut o__o). Plus, the voices don't really sound as... good... as they do with the Japanese with subs :3 Or maybe I'm just biased because I watched the subbed version before the dubbed xDDD

The route of this problem is how animation and voice acting is perceived in American culture. Only in the last say, 5 to 10 years have people in both fields really seem to get some respect coming their way, and even then, it's like molasses in January. Cartoons are viewed as only for children, and voice actors are perceived as not being able to cut it as normal actors... ignoring the fact that most of them have to make emotion in their voice stronger so you can sense or hear it without actually seeing them. There's a lot of other issues with being a dub actor, such as fitting different text (due to language differences) in the same frames, make it sound natural, and still do all that other stuff that a voice actor always does.

A good way to gauge the voice acting field is by the Dynasty Warriors video games series. It was pretty bad, overall, for the first few games, and each one is progressively better as cast members come and go. (I'm not just saying this because I'm friends with one of the newer additions to team, either. He's just that good.) It helps they've started giving them the correct pronunciations of the names, too.

I'm ambivalent to the Case Closed dub, and I really enjoyed "Jimmy's" voice, but overall it was just in that time period where dubs were still super bad, (minus Bebop), due to the same few people doing all of the work, and I question their talent. Without it, I don't know when I would have ever discovered Detective Conan.

The problem with the YYH dub is that they changed sooooo much in the dialogue, it changed entire scenes. Someone mentioned to me a few weeks back that the voice actors went back and redubbed scenes for the BluRay because they were so off. I really liked their voices, and if one of my favorite actors was not in the original, (and without all the changes), I would have been perfectly content with it. Yusuke's voice was perfect.

Well, that's just one thing I don't like about the english dubs. Sometimes they say the lines with too much expression, and it just seems so FAKE!! I don't think they sound natural at all, if you ask me...

I normally watch DC episodes in Japaneese with English subs, or in Catalan (sort of spanish dialect :3). But I cannot bear to hear Rachel instead of Ran and Jimmy instead of Shinichi. (Jimmy. HOW CAN SOMEONE CALL SHINICHI JIMMY?! TT_TT). Plus the voices sound really weird. (Shinichi has a sexy voice in Japaneese but, argh, in English... >_< Am I the only one who actually thinks that?).

I played the DW games too and that got me into Gundam. So the problem for me is that as each game progress I watched more Gundam, as I watched more Gundam the Japanese actors got better more rapidly than the English actors and had a more diverse cast. Eventually with the last DW game I was hearing the some English actors playing 3+ roles but the Japanese cast had less character/actor overlap and still had improved their performances over time.

I like the Japanese version better (with English subs of course), because the characters sound like the real 'them' (if that makes sense)... It's just that after hearing the English dubs, it really didn't feel like their characters, plus the fact that they 'English-ed' their names took away the originality. If you did like the English dub better, please don't take offence, I'm merely stating my personal opinion. :oops:

I like the Japanese version better (with English subs of course), because the characters sound like the real 'them' (if that makes sense)... It's just that after hearing the English dubs, it really didn't feel like their characters, plus the fact that they 'English-ed' their names took away the originality. If you did like the English dub better, please don't take offence, I'm merely stating my personal opinion. :oops:

Don't worry, nothing you said would offend anybody. There are a lot of opinionated people here anyways.

And yes, the biggest flaw in the English dub were the name changes. I'm certain that people's hatred towards the dub would be alleviated if the Japanese names were used.

i think the Japanese version is much better. (for me)

because i think the japanese voice actors portrait the character more in a way that sounds realistic.

compared to the english version which sometimes has some flaws.

also the names of the characters in the english version. just sounds so different from the japanese one.

I liked the english dub but I have a few things that I don't like about it.

First and the most obvious, why did they change the names? Can't they leave the name like that? Second, the voices. Even though the some voices are okay with the characters but some of them aren't. Third, I mean they just have 130 EPs and 5 movies!

Anyway, anybody can give me link to watch all Case Closed episodes and movies? I couldn't find movie 5 full at Youtube.

They kind've only did half a job with westernising Detective Conan which makes it worse.

e.g. Richard Moore is talking to Yutaka Abe. Also, the puns are destroyed <_< Also, I had they accents in the dub, especially with Megure.

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

But that's just my opinion.^^

Exactly.

I normally watch DC episodes in Japaneese with English subs, or in Catalan (sort of spanish dialect :3). But I cannot bear to hear Rachel instead of Ran and Jimmy instead of Shinichi. (Jimmy. HOW CAN SOMEONE CALL SHINICHI JIMMY?! TT_TT). Plus the voices sound really weird. (Shinichi has a sexy voice in Japaneese but, argh, in English... >_< Am I the only one who actually thinks that?).

I don't think anyone thinks Shinchi has a sexy voice. :blink:

Don't worry, nothing you said would offend anybody. There are a lot of opinionated people here anyways.

And yes, the biggest flaw in the English dub were the name changes. I'm certain that people's hatred towards the dub would be alleviated if the Japanese names were used.

Actually, yes, I wouldn't hate the dub at all if Funi hadn't changed everything around.

If they had kept it Detective Conan, (The characters, the names, the setting and the plot the same) but just changed the name to Case Closed, I wouldn't have minded at all. (I might have even watched it dubbed.)

Anyway, I definitely prefer the Japanese version. (I love the voices muchly.)

I started watching the series in subs, and up until now continue to do so. I checked out the dub once and it just felt weird to me. It made sense that they changed the names to English ones (I can't even pronounce Shinichi without feeling like an idiot), but honestly just the thought of people in Japan speaking perfect English with names like "Jimmy" and "Rachel" felt so weird to me.

I guess I just prefer to watch anime in Japanese. The conversations flow better (despite me not being close to fluent in Japanese), and I feel like I'm learning a little bit of their culture.

So yeah, subs ftw :)

well what I meant when I posted, and got 1000 E-mails saying (insert name here) replied to this damn topic, I like the english names and voices better, but since they changed the script (which I didn't know when i said dub was better) I guess since I hate censorship (even though this isn't censorship which I hate because I wanna see all the blood and violence not have it toned down) because you're not seeing what's really going on I'll go with the Jap version but I still watch the episodes that are dubbed in dub because I really hate people who ***** about voices and stuff like that so I always watch dub if it's uncensored (even if it is inconsistent).

It's changed from it original material and the scripts, inconsistent and I heard they had to change a bunch of things because of copyright issues (my hunch), either way I like the english names better, like Jimmy or Rachel I have a friend named Jimmy and Rachel just seems more natural me.

Being brought up in Canada so what if I watch alot of anime with names so ****ing hard to remember I'll have to wait till the 8th episode to remember which name belongs to which charter I know it's Japanese but what the **** kinda name is Ran,

and shicchi I can't even remember how to spell it properly, I watch alot of subbed anime because most of the good one's aren't dubbed yet, but I can't stand how awkward the Japanese names sound, in short

sub>dub script consistency

dub>sub name's, voices, because I speak english and it's in english **** reading

but since the script and consistency is more important then everything else I like sub better but I'll never watch an episode subbed if the dub of that episode is available, BTW off topic (who else is bored of all the cases and just wants to see more of the black organization you know the ****ing plot)