Detective Conan World
Patronus Charm

Filipino Classroom and Chatroom

Are those little letters below alphabets how they are pronounced or how they are written in filipino?  Also, do most of them sound like english alphabets? there are exceptions I see but some sound the same as if in english "@_@ bear with me I'm stupid

Are those little letters below alphabets how they are pronounced or how they are written in filipino?  Also, do most of them sound like english alphabets? there are exceptions I see but some sound the same as if in english "@_@ bear with me I'm stupid

The Filipino alphabet is almost the same as the English alphabet. Their only difference is that in the Filipino alphabet, there are two more letters, namely Ng and Ñ. 

Those little letters below are how they are pronounced as LETTERS. Like for "D" it's pronounced as "di" but it doesn't mean that it's pronounced that way when used sentences or words. 

mellow.gif

Nawawala po ang ating intro post at ang listahan ng mga miyembro. Nananawagan po ako sa mga nakasaksi ng pangyayari na ipagbigay alam at magsadya lamang sa mga kinuukulan.(DZMM, Bantay Bata, Kapwa Ko Mahal Ko, Kapuso Foundation, Failon Ngayon, Imbestigador, NBI, PNP, at marami pang iba.)

so ppl do noe english there right

Yes of course ! usually we Filipinos prefer to know English rather than to speak the language. It is because their are some Filipinos who can't speak or pronounce well or even who pronounces well are criticized and made fun of maybe because they can't be as good as those who speak well or they think they're better than them. But for me the main reason is that they think they're o.a (over acting) or their English is way exaggerated and is not good to hear :(

P.S I'm a pure Filipino particularly a Cebuana . I'm glad there are some others trying to study our language as well :)

Kamusta or Kumusta is actually "How are you?" but it is used as a form of greeting.And as for Hi or Hello,as far as I know,there is no actual word for that.

Paalam for good-bye.

I will post the other translations and some useful phrases tomorrow. Have a good day!

Lesson 1: The Filipino Alphabet

Alpabetong Pilipino

filipino.gif

The Philippine Alphabet has 28 letters.If you notice it is similar to the English Alphabet aside form the letters Ññ and Ngng.

Ññ is adopted from the Spanish alphabet while the Ngng came from the original or the Pre-Hispanic Filipino Alphabet.

The Vowels:

Compared to English Vowels,the Filipino Vowels consist of only one sound.

Pronounce-------as in English--------Example

a-------------------------father------------- Magandang umaga,good morning

e-------------------------egg-----------------Nene

i-------------------------each---------------ibig,want

o-------------------------long---------------totoo, true

u-------------------------food-------------- kukunin, will take

Note:The languages of the pre-Hispanic Filipinos only had three vowels: "a," "e/i" and "o/u." Even today you may hear many Filipinos interchange "e" and "i," and "o" and 'u."

The Consonants:

Pronounce consonants as in English with the following considerations:

1. "g" is always hard, as in "get," never as in "gel."

2. "c, f, q, v, x" exist only in words adopted from other languages.

3. Pronounce adopted words as in their home language.

4. All other consonants are pronounced as in English.

5. In addition, there is the "ng" consonant; in the Filipino alphabet, it comes after "ñ"

6.More on the Pronunciation of "ng" shortly

Note:The languages of the pre-Hispanic Filipinos did not have the consonants "c," "f," "j," "q," "v," "x" and "z." Even today you may hear many Filipinos pronounce "v" as "b" and "f" as "p."

The Consonant "Ng"

To produce the "nga" sound, do the following.

a. Say "hanger"

b. Say "hang a."

c. Say "ang a."

d. Say "ng a."

e. Say "nga."

Practice "nga" with the following words:

· ang

· mga (short for "manga," the plural marker for nouns and pronouns)

· nang

· ng (pronounced like "nang," but is a different word)

· mangarap, to dream

· sanga, branch

· ngayón, now

· kailangan, need

So? That ends our Lesson for today. If you have any questions or concerns ask me.

For Tagalog-English Dictionary click here.

Lesson 2 Preview: Useful Phrases

No homework for today! Hurray!

What's inside the spoilerbox???

In the next lessons you might encounter some familiar words.Why? In the early 16th century, the Philippines was colonized by the Spaniards for 333 years but during the Spanish-American War,the United States took over the Philippines for 48 years. Also during the World War II,Japanese people came to the Philippines. Therefore,the Filipino Language borrowed lots of Spanish words and English words and some words from Malaysian,Thai and Chinese as well.

References: www.omniglot.com

www.tagalog1.com

dzey pala ang pagpronounce ng "J"?  Doon sa amin pinupronounce yan ng "JEY" :(