Detective Conan World
Guest Hajime Kindaichi

Random Chat

Taking a hike: polite way of telling someone to get lost. I am a polite person who doesn't want this topic locked.

Taking a hike: polite way of telling someone to get lost. I am a polite person who doesn't want this topic locked.

Before you read the following post, I must apologize.

I apologize to anyone who reads the following post as it may sound offensive, mean, or rude. It is what I think of this matter. It is also (this I will admit) nitpicking and me being a jerk. I am sorry.

Not that anyone who truly feels offended will forgive me.

Basic Summary:

I see nothing that is polite about telling someone to "take a hike."

Jean's Lengthly Nitpicking Which Has Been Occurring Increasingly More Often (which you should not read if you think that you will feel hurt):

I see nothing "polite" about telling someone to "take a hike." It is, as you said, telling someone to "get lost" and its meaning still rings true in "take a hike." A rejection letter--no matter how kind it is--is still a rejection letter.

Further more, if it is said in the same tone, it still hurts. People aren't stupid--they can read between the lines. It's still rude if you say "take a hike" and I personally can't imagine anyone saying that in a vaguely nice tone.

Mark is around 10 years your senior--there's a 99% chance that he does know what you mean. Besides, he could search it up online. It doesn't take all that long. The reason he pointed it out was, in a way, to tell you to correct it. It was also to point out that he was a little...annoyed at the statement.

Yes, you were annoyed when you first said "take a hike." It doesn't give you the liberty to be rude. Tone is more important than words. And, correct me if I'm wrong, the tone that I feel coming from these words is far from "polite."

• Upvote 1

I'll respond this in my own way, da ze.

First, let me state that I merely made an observation: this thread has no point. You had no, and I mean, NO reason to treat me with the outright hostility that you did. What's worse, when I pointed it out in private on your profile, you DOWNRIGHT IGNORED MY QUESTION and also MADE FUN OF ME in the process! I don't see any evidence that you are a "polite person who doesn't want this topic locked".

And that "taking a hike" is a "polite way of telling someone to get lost? Don't give me that bull. You and I both know what it means, and what the overtone of that saying is. I am 23. I'm not an idiot.

Annoyance is never a reason to be rude. I'm annoyed all the time. You don't see me in public ranting at every other person, do you? No. I got self-control.

I would apologize normally at this point, saying that "I needed to vent", but I see no reason to apologize. I did no wrong to apologize for. But I'm genuinely angry, and I would like an apology.

There looks like a war going on here, can I join :evil:? Just joking :grin:!!!

Okay every body, stop fighting!! get along with each other, say sorry and it's all back to normal, right :wink:?

love_peace_happiness_card-p137813166438879838zvhl0_400.jpg

Butter biscuits in a bucket of fudge.

This thing causes way too much fights. I said a textbook definition. I know to respect elders. I was being whiny not polite. It was meant in a comedian sort of way, not comical. There is a huge difference.

Sir Mohovie, I apologize for my misconduct. You acted very nicely in a way I did not deserve.

And Dentist-san, you don't need to make such a lengthy page like a hyped lawyer to scold someone. And beleive you me I've been around people older than me my life.

And that statement could also have meant to take a tour of Japan. :P

This thing causes way too much fights. I said a textbook definition.

Uhh, excuse me, but the textbook definition for "take a hike", if there is one, does not contain "polite". And don't try to alleviate the blame, this was all your fault.

It was meant in a comedian sort of way, not comical. There is a huge difference.

If it was meant in a comedical sort of way, there should be something like :P to mark that. And even so, "take a hike" really can't be said nicely.

And Dentist-san, you don't need to make such a lengthy page like a hyped lawyer to scold someone. And beleive you me I've been around people older than me my life.

You realize that you could potentially show a little humility instead of degrading people?

You don't try to get the last word in an argument you already apologized for.

Alright, it seems clear that your apology isn't sincere, from what I can tell. I'll leave before I get angry.

First of all, "a lengthy page" is an exaggeration. I put everything in spoiler boxes and I did not tell you to read it.

Second, this hardly feels like a polite way to respond during an apology. I don't know about you, but I'd try to be respectful to everyone--older than me or not. I like how you're using your apology to insult me.

Finally...what does that have to do with it? I do believe you, but it doesn't support your argument in any way.

We all know it wasn't.

As DG said, we should stop arguing. Those are my last words (excluding my apology), feel free to rebuke me, criticize me, and downgrade me judging on them.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone or hurt anyone.

Butter biscuits in a bucket of fudge.

This thing causes way too much fights. I said a textbook definition. I know to respect elders. I was being whiny not polite. It was meant in a comedian sort of way, not comical. There is a huge difference.

Sir Mohovie, I apologize for my misconduct. You acted very nicely in a way I did not deserve.

That was just plain rude. Saying 'take a hike' is just rude. Be glad it was Mark, if it was me I would have gotten pretty darn mad at you. Mark was being tolerant enough. I would have ripped you up.

And then you went and started on Jean. Seriously?

A few things:

1. This thread is beyond stupid.

2. thebananas3000 gets a 10% warning for the rude and callous remark.

3. This thread is beyond stupid.

Locked.

• Upvote 6