Detective Conan World
CarpetCrawler

What Was the Last Video Game You Played?

Oh you don't have one yet?  Maybe you should settle for a 2DS if money is an issue.

It's not necessarily any financial issues, but the fact that I know I will be spending the rest of my life in there if I buy it--I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself. My grades would plummet for sure.

I am playing it for the nostalgia, but I like to play my games chronologically.  When I lost interest in White 2 Challenge Mode for a really long time, I fell behind.  I had already purchased Y as I've mentioned, but I needed to finish the story of White 2 before moving on.  I did that over the summer (and Bianca killed a shiny Skorupi in the process, damn it!) and was planning on getting into Y, but I've so busy lately.  I can't play Alpha Sapphire until I beat Y, as stubborn as it sounds, but I'll get it in time for the shiny Beldum.

I don't think the order in which you play the games really matter that much. The first Pokemon game that I owned was Platinum (technically could be Sapphire if you count mooching off of my sister's Gameboy). Afterwards, I kinda jumped between games (played a little of Firered and HeartGold, then got an emulator to play Emerald, then proceeded to play Black, then White 2). This was all in a span of many years so hopefully I don't sound too crazed, haha. But yeah, jumping between games didn't inhibit my experience that much. Is there a specific reason why you prefer going in chronological order? I found that a little interesting. 

Well, he wasn't in Brawl, but he was one of, if not the, most highly requested character for Smash 4 and was the butt of a lot of jokes as well for being the only non-clone character removed from Melee to Brawl.  I wasn't going to be surprised if he didn't make it, but I'm glad he's in as DLC.  This actually shows Masahiro Sakurai didn't actually plan on having him in the game at all, but after seeing the fan requests and reactions through the years leading up the release decided to work on him last second.  We don't even have an footage of him, just a rudimentary model.

Yeah, I was a little shocked to see that Sakurai was willing to work on Mewtwo even after the game was released. 

I love this guy.

Ice Climbers aren't back because the 3DS couldn't handle having a character as complex as them in battle.  IC are practically two characters, since the human controlled Popo has Nana running around as a CPU behind him.  They lagged the game, especially if it was 4 ICs against each other.  This is unlike Olimar or Rosalina, as they're more like a character paired with an item.  Sakurai adamantly stated he didn't want the 3DS to be shortchanged and that both versions would have the same characters.  He said IC worked on the Wii U (even in 8-player I assume, which would be a total of 16 little Eskimos running around!), but because they didn't on the 3DS, he put them on the back burner and made them low priority.  But because Mewtwo is back as a DLC, IC actually has a very good chance, along with characters like Lucas and Wolf.  Sakurai, in an interview, said that bringing back a character from an old game (like Brawl or Melee) wasn't as simple as copying and pasting the character into the new game.  Even a character like Mario needs to be built from the ground up, and it takes time.  That's why clone characters (Lucina, Dr. Mario, Dark Pit) exist; they're the only characters not built from the ground up as they borrow the template of another character.  Sakurai even mentioned Mewtwo in that interview, saying Melee is such an old game he can't even extract and work with Mewtwo's files.  That wasn't that long ago, and people thought it was the end of Mewtwo and that there was no chance for him.  But lo and behold, Sakurai decided that working on a character, even after the game is released, would be worth the effort!  Therefore IC, who isn't as far down the gutter as Mewtwo was, still has a chance.  After all, he must have been pretty far down the road with IC's models and moves if he managed test them on the 3DS.  If he has time to make a completely new character, then has has time to work out the little issue with the 3DS version and we'll be getting an Ice Climber DLC in no time!  I don't want to get your hopes up, but the possibility exists and it's high. 

Haha, yeah! I read something similar on IGN earlier so I was a little disappointed that IC didn't return. I guess it might also be a little ridiculous for 16 of these little guys running in the WiiU. Actually, I think it'd be pretty entertaining to say the least. But I still don't think they'll bring the IC back because I highly doubt that Sakurai is willing to work around the 3DS's limitations. If anything, the IC might become exclusive to WiiU at best. I'm fairly certain that the IC won't come back for the 3DS.

So lately, I've just been watching other people play these demos/games through YouTube while sitting enviously behind my computer screen.

Also, I can't get over Megaman's final smash.

asdfhjsdfjhldgfjkl

It's not necessarily any financial issues, but the fact that I know I will be spending the rest of my life in there if I buy it--I don't think I'd be able to restrain myself. My grades would plummet for sure.

Ah, true, I haven't had much time to play my 3DS either because of school.  I'm applying to colleges now, with Early Action and Decision deadlines this Saturday, but I'll definitely make the most of Christmas when it finally comes around.

I don't think the order in which you play the games really matter that much. The first Pokemon game that I owned was Platinum (technically could be Sapphire if you count mooching off of my sister's Gameboy). Afterwards, I kinda jumped between games (played a little of Firered and HeartGold, then got an emulator to play Emerald, then proceeded to play Black, then White 2). This was all in a span of many years so hopefully I don't sound too crazed, haha. But yeah, jumping between games didn't inhibit my experience that much. Is there a specific reason why you prefer going in chronological order? I found that a little interesting. 

You're right it doesn't.  I guess I feel that if I don't force myself to do something crazy like that I'll never end up having enough motivation to finish any of the games.  I always have a team planned out and everything, and to have all that preparation go to waste would be a shame.  It's a fail-safe to make sure I get through even the games I don't like very much, I guess.  And you don't sound crazy as I'm much the same way.  I've played pretty much all the games so far, even experimented a bit with the original RBY and GSC, though mainly for the glitches.  I've played through Sapphire, Pearl (hundred of hours in this one, my first Pokemon game), HeartGold, Emerald, White, White 2, and XD: Gale of Darkness.  Multiple times for games like Sapphire.  Can't wait for the remix of the Oceanic Museum!

Yeah, I was a little shocked to see that Sakurai was willing to work on Mewtwo even after the game was released. 

I love this guy.

Oh gosh, I was a lot shocked.  Watched the stream live and when I saw his feet I started jumping in my chair and acted really out of character.  The chat blew up as well; it was the best moment of waiting for Smash 4, even better than that crazy-troll Lucina/Robin reveal trailer.

Haha, yeah! I read something similar on IGN earlier so I was a little disappointed that IC didn't return. I guess it might also be a little ridiculous for 16 of these little guys running in the WiiU. Actually, I think it'd be pretty entertaining to say the least. But I still don't think they'll bring the IC back because I highly doubt that Sakurai is willing to work around the 3DS's limitations. If anything, the IC might become exclusive to WiiU at best. I'm fairly certain that the IC won't come back for the 3DS.

I've always been decent at Ice Climbers.  They were never my true main, but fun to play as nonetheless.  Sakurai is adamant about keeping the 3DS and Wii U rosters equal, and knowing how stubborn he can be I doubt he'll make IC exclusive to the Wii U if he can't fix the 3DS problem.  The only compromise I can see happening is if he brings back IC to the Wii U but lets the 3DS version have an exclusive character themselves with either Wolf or Lucas.  And then whoever is left over can be added on to both versions.  We're almost definitely not getting any more Melee characters back, and probably not Snake either.

And if worst comes to worst, Sakurai will learn his lesson this time around and bring IC back in Smash 5, whether that be only on the new home console or on the handheld as well.

So lately, I've just been watching other people play these demos/games through YouTube while sitting enviously behind my computer screen.

Also, I can't get over Megaman's final smash.

asdfhjsdfjhldgfjkl

When the 3DS version came out back in September, I was all over those Twitch streams.  I don't watch them anymore, but when the Wii U hits shelves I'll probably tune in to see all those glorious 8-player matches in HD on Big Battlefield.  Oh, and that awesome new stage builder.

Mega Man's Final Smash is awesome, but unfortunately he doesn't really jive with me, at least not from what I felt on the 3DS demo.  I'll probably main Lucina or Bowser Jr.  And Mewtwo when he comes out, just because he's special.

Also, the first update came out today!  Apparently, there were a quite a few balance adjustments, with some characters being either nerfed or buffed in certain aspects.  It's awesome how they can do this now; the game is going to be so fun to finally play!

Ah, true, I haven't had much time to play my 3DS either because of school.  I'm applying to colleges now, with Early Action and Decision deadlines this Saturday, but I'll definitely make the most of Christmas when it finally comes around.

Good luck with college apps!

Ah yes, winter break--one of the best times of the year to catch up on everything.

You're right it doesn't.  I guess I feel that if I don't force myself to do something crazy like that I'll never end up having enough motivation to finish any of the games.  I always have a team planned out and everything, and to have all that preparation go to waste would be a shame.  It's a fail-safe to make sure I get through even the games I don't like very much, I guess.  And you don't sound crazy as I'm much the same way.  I've played pretty much all the games so far, even experimented a bit with the original RBY and GSC, though mainly for the glitches.  I've played through Sapphire, Pearl (hundred of hours in this one, my first Pokemon game), HeartGold, Emerald, White, White 2, and XD: Gale of Darkness.  Multiple times for games like Sapphire.  Can't wait for the remix of the Oceanic Museum!

Ohh...I never thought of it through that perspective. If the game didn't appeal to me, I probably wouldn't have picked it up at all. 

Aaaahhh! Platinum was definitely one of my favorites (I had also been extraordinarily lucky in finding shinies in that game). I definitely clocked hundreds of hours there. I remember back in middle school where I would sneak my DS out at midnight just so I could play it. I also played quite a few Pokemon hacks a while ago to give myself more variety (Light Platinum being one of them). I played the gen 3 games multiple times! My sister's first Sapphire game was on one of those sketchy Chinese cartridges we got from China, so we lost our save file at the elite 4 and it no longer let us progress past the first gym when we started over. The second time was Sapphire again, but through an emulator my sister downloaded. The third time was Emerald, but through an emulator I downloaded myself. Now that I think about it, my first Pokemon game (that wasn't my sister's) was actually Shadows of Almia. I absolutely loved that game. I speculate my friend stole it from me during a party, which is why I tend to forget mentioning it at times.

Right now, I'm just anxiously waiting for the remixes of route 113 and Deoxys. Oh, and route 111, because that's such a classic, heh.

Oh gosh, I was a lot shocked.  Watched the stream live and when I saw his feet I started jumping in my chair and acted really out of character.  The chat blew up as well; it was the best moment of waiting for Smash 4, even better than that crazy-troll Lucina/Robin reveal trailer.

I could imagine! I just watched the reveal online, and even though I knew it was coming, I couldn't contain all the hype D:

I've always been decent at Ice Climbers.  They were never my true main, but fun to play as nonetheless.  Sakurai is adamant about keeping the 3DS and Wii U rosters equal, and knowing how stubborn he can be I doubt he'll make IC exclusive to the Wii U if he can't fix the 3DS problem.  The only compromise I can see happening is if he brings back IC to the Wii U but lets the 3DS version have an exclusive character themselves with either Wolf or Lucas.  And then whoever is left over can be added on to both versions.  We're almost definitely not getting any more Melee characters back, and probably not Snake either.

And if worst comes to worst, Sakurai will learn his lesson this time around and bring IC back in Smash 5, whether that be only on the new home console or on the handheld as well.

Even if Sakurai decided to bring back the IC in the new smash game, we'd still have to wait years before it comes out.

It'll be worth it though!

I'm also glad they didn't get rid of Ness, but I'm not sure why they decided to keep Doctor Mario.

When the 3DS version came out back in September, I was all over those Twitch streams.  I don't watch them anymore, but when the Wii U hits shelves I'll probably tune in to see all those glorious 8-player matches in HD on Big Battlefield.  Oh, and that awesome new stage builder.

Mega Man's Final Smash is awesome, but unfortunately he doesn't really jive with me, at least not from what I felt on the 3DS demo.  I'll probably main Lucina or Bowser Jr.  And Mewtwo when he comes out, just because he's special.

I remember there were Twitch streams everywhere! I watched a lot of them but I couldn't keep up and decided to drop them. I'll probably also pick them up again for the 8-player matches. I. must. see. the. new. stage. builder. 

Most of the final smashes are just for embellishment anyway. Still entertaining to watch, nonetheless.

Mewtwo is probably going to get a Mega as its final smash. Lucario and Charizard's smashes were fun.

Also, the first update came out today!  Apparently, there were a quite a few balance adjustments, with some characters being either nerfed or buffed in certain aspects.  It's awesome how they can do this now; the game is going to be so fun to finally play!

I'm glad that they took the time to nerf the characters. Some of them were too op, haha

Ohh...I never thought of it through that perspective. If the game didn't appeal to me, I probably wouldn't have picked it up at all. 

Aaaahhh! Platinum was definitely one of my favorites (I had also been extraordinarily lucky in finding shinies in that game). I definitely clocked hundreds of hours there. I remember back in middle school where I would sneak my DS out at midnight just so I could play it. I also played quite a few Pokemon hacks a while ago to give myself more variety (Light Platinum being one of them). I played the gen 3 games multiple times! My sister's first Sapphire game was on one of those sketchy Chinese cartridges we got from China, so we lost our save file at the elite 4 and it no longer let us progress past the first gym when we started over. The second time was Sapphire again, but through an emulator my sister downloaded. The third time was Emerald, but through an emulator I downloaded myself. Now that I think about it, my first Pokemon game (that wasn't my sister's) was actually Shadows of Almia. I absolutely loved that game. I speculate my friend stole it from me during a party, which is why I tend to forget mentioning it at times.

Right now, I'm just anxiously waiting for the remixes of route 113 and Deoxys. Oh, and route 111, because that's such a classic, heh.

You're just like me, I used to (and still do...) sneak my out DS in bed to play during the wee hours of the night.  It hasn't been Pokemon as much as it's been other DS games though.  My 3DS is so precious to me and I treat it like it's really fragile even if it's not.  I would never let myself play it in bed; it can only be played on a desk.  And because the only Pokemon games worth playing anymore are on there, I just haven't had much of a chance to play as much as I would like.  I've actually never played any Pokemon hacks, just because none of them have really appealed to me.  It's not that I don't mind game mods/hacks, because I do (the Project M mod for Brawl is a amazing), but I've just always liked Pokemon games the way they usually are.  It's cool it seems you've found a lot of shinies.  Which ones have you gotten?  I would ask to trade some of my shinies for yours, but the Wifi connectivity between all DS games has been discontinued.

Even if Sakurai decided to bring back the IC in the new smash game, we'd still have to wait years before it comes out.

It'll be worth it though!

I'm also glad they didn't get rid of Ness, but I'm not sure why they decided to keep Doctor Mario.

Because Dr. Mario is a true clone of Mario, he took almost no development time.  Characters, even ones like Lucas and Wolf, take a ton of time as new models need to be made and hit/hurt boxes need to placed in to get a character started.  Then he/she needs to be tested and balanced against other characters.  Even small differences in range and knockback can make a character either OP or flimsy.  Dr. Mario doesn't need a new model, moves, hit/hurt boxes, or animations.  He's just Mario with a new costume, and very small physical property changes.  The dev team probably had extra time to do something, but not enough time to make a new character so they "brought back" Dr. Mario.  It's the same story with Dark Pit and Lucina.  And just to show how long it takes to make a character from scratch, Mewtwo (with only a standstill model as of now) will have a moveset, hurt/hit boxes, animations, voice acting, sound effects, and physical properties done by Spring of 2015, which is a long ways away considering it's not even winter yet.  I think Sakurai described the clones characters as dessert after a meal, something that cannot be changed to a steak, if that analogy makes any sense.    

You're just like me, I used to (and still do...) sneak my out DS in bed to play during the wee hours of the night.  It hasn't been Pokemon as much as it's been other DS games though.  My 3DS is so precious to me and I treat it like it's really fragile even if it's not.  I would never let myself play it in bed; it can only be played on a desk.  And because the only Pokemon games worth playing anymore are on there, I just haven't had much of a chance to play as much as I would like.  I've actually never played any Pokemon hacks, just because none of them have really appealed to me.  It's not that I don't mind game mods/hacks, because I do (the Project M mod for Brawl is a amazing), but I've just always liked Pokemon games the way they usually are.  It's cool it seems you've found a lot of shinies.  Which ones have you gotten?  I would ask to trade some of my shinies for yours, but the Wifi connectivity between all DS games has been discontinued.

I haven't gotten a new DS game in years mainly because I can always download them onto my laptop...though there's no feeling like sneaking into bed and playing DS games to your heart's content. I personally loved playing the hacks. It's amazing what people can come up with, especially since Pokemon games these days aren't as challenging anymore. My first shiny was a random Fearow. Catching it was probably one of the greatest feelings I've ever had during my childhood. My second shiny was a random Dugtrio and my last shiny was a Magikarp I was hunting for (it only took me a few hours). All of them were caught in my Platinum game, and I haven't found a shiny since then (unless you count things like the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage). The rest of the shinies I have were all traded from the GTS (I managed to find a shiny Deoxys there, lol). It's a shame that they cut off the DS wifi. Many of the hours I've clocked on the DS consisted of going on the DS wifi in the aftergames.

Also, have you seen some of images of people's circle pads after playing smash? Holy geezus.

3ds-5.jpg

Because Dr. Mario is a true clone of Mario, he took almost no development time.  Characters, even ones like Lucas and Wolf, take a ton of time as new models need to be made and hit/hurt boxes need to placed in to get a character started.  Then he/she needs to be tested and balanced against other characters.  Even small differences in range and knockback can make a character either OP or flimsy.  Dr. Mario doesn't need a new model, moves, hit/hurt boxes, or animations.  He's just Mario with a new costume, and very small physical property changes.  The dev team probably had extra time to do something, but not enough time to make a new character so they "brought back" Dr. Mario.  It's the same story with Dark Pit and Lucina.  And just to show how long it takes to make a character from scratch, Mewtwo (with only a standstill model as of now) will have a moveset, hurt/hit boxes, animations, voice acting, sound effects, and physical properties done by Spring of 2015, which is a long ways away considering it's not even winter yet.  I think Sakurai described the clones characters as dessert after a meal, something that cannot be changed to a steak, if that analogy makes any sense.    

I've heard a lot of people complain about Doctor Mario and Dark Pit since they are essentially exact clones of the originals. A lot of people consider these characters as lazy, so I feel like they would have better off programming those as a different "color scheme" of the originals--like how you can change Kirby's color to green. I was pretty surprised with how long it would take to implement Mewtwo into the game. It helped put into perspective how much time and effort they put into each character's design and properties. I'm still not a huge fan of clones like Doctor Mario, but after seeing the amount of work invested for each character, it doesn't seem as bad anymore.

I haven't gotten a new DS game in years mainly because I can always download them onto my laptop...though there's no feeling like sneaking into bed and playing DS games to your heart's content. I personally loved playing the hacks. It's amazing what people can come up with, especially since Pokemon games these days aren't as challenging anymore. My first shiny was a random Fearow. Catching it was probably one of the greatest feelings I've ever had during my childhood. My second shiny was a random Dugtrio and my last shiny was a Magikarp I was hunting for (it only took me a few hours). All of them were caught in my Platinum game, and I haven't found a shiny since then (unless you count things like the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage). The rest of the shinies I have were all traded from the GTS (I managed to find a shiny Deoxys there, lol). It's a shame that they cut off the DS wifi. Many of the hours I've clocked on the DS consisted of going on the DS wifi in the aftergames.

Also, have you seen some of images of people's circle pads after playing smash? Holy geezus.

3ds-5.jpg

You're like, my long lost twin when it comes to Pokemon this is honestly really crazy.

I can't get enough of playing my DS in bed, which is why I use an M3 DS Simply chip, which is pretty much an empty DS chip with a slot for a micro SD card.  Once you set it up, you just drag and drop ROMs into the SD card, put it in the M3, and put that into the DS.  It's really great, because I've had practically no problems with it.  It plays any and all ROMs perfect, no lag and no glitches.  It feels exactly like a DS game.  I've even traded Pokemon from games on my M3 to legit phyical copies, which is nifty.  It's better than most actual emulators, from what I can tell.  The only problem I've had is that it occasional crashes which leads to some save data loss, which can all be tied back to the M3 not being fitted perfectly to the slot in the DS as of course it's not official Nintendo property.  But that's also why I keep backup files on my computer, in the event something like this happens.  I honestly think it's worth the investment, even with the 3DS out, because there are still tons of DS games to play.

The first shiny I found in the wild was  a Geodude (Diamond).  I chained for a shiny Ditto shortly afterward and somehow got it on a chain of 8 (Pearl).  I then found a shiny Clefairy (White) with amazing IVs, an average nature, and the right nature.  I hunted for shiny starters in HG and got about 3 shiny Chikorita, 2 shiny Cyndaquil, and 1 shiny Totodile (that I lost because my M3 chip chose the worst time to freeze).  The Lake of Rage Gyarados was next.   I then went back to Pearl to chain a shiny Pichu which I got at a chain of 22.  Of course, most recently I found that Skorupi in White 2 that Bianca killed because I was teamed up with her and you can't catch a Pokemon when you're versing two at a time.  I've found tons of shinies on GTS, many of which are obviously fake (impossible catch places, perfect IVs, unreasonable ID numbers, Pokemon unobtainable as shiny like Mew, etc.).  I actually have about 2 boxes full of shinies, hacked and legit.

EDIT: Oops, forgot that I also RNG abused a bit in my Ruby version to get a shiny Treeko, shiny Groudon, and shiny Beldum.  I might get around to RNG abusing for more shinies, specifically Rayquaza, but I haven't had the time for it.

And I've heard stories of people's circle pads breaking.  I don't want my Pikachu 3DS to suffer the same fate, so I won't be getting the 3DS version.  The Wii U version is more than enough anyway, so I don't think I'll be missing much.

I've heard a lot of people complain about Doctor Mario and Dark Pit since they are essentially exact clones of the originals. A lot of people consider these characters as lazy, so I feel like they would have better off programming those as a different "color scheme" of the originals--like how you can change Kirby's color to green. I was pretty surprised with how long it would take to implement Mewtwo into the game. It helped put into perspective how much time and effort they put into each character's design and properties. I'm still not a huge fan of clones like Doctor Mario, but after seeing the amount of work invested for each character, it doesn't seem as bad anymore.

I think I have a bad habit of defending clones, ever since I mained Roy back in Melee.  And it's no different now as I'm a fan of Lucina in Sm4sh.  I do see where you came from, but honestly the roster would have been smaller if the clones were to be removed and the most we could have gotten in return is three extra trophies.  Not to mention, fans of the characters that were made into clones don't have to settle for just recolors, so I think it's all good. 

Edited by Akazora

You're like, my long lost twin when it comes to Pokemon this is honestly really crazy.

I can't get enough of playing my DS in bed, which is why I use an M3 DS Simply chip, which is pretty much an empty DS chip with a slot for a micro SD card.  Once you set it up, you just drag and drop ROMs into the SD card, put it in the M3, and put that into the DS.  It's really great, because I've had practically no problems with it.  It plays any and all ROMs perfect, no lag and no glitches.  It feels exactly like a DS game.  I've even traded Pokemon from games on my M3 to legit phyical copies, which is nifty.  It's better than most actual emulators, from what I can tell.  The only problem I've had is that it occasional crashes which leads to some save data loss, which can all be tied back to the M3 not being fitted perfectly to the slot in the DS as of course it's not official Nintendo property.  But that's also why I keep backup files on my computer, in the event something like this happens.  I honestly think it's worth the investment, even with the 3DS out, because there are still tons of DS games to play.

I think my friend had one of these! I probably would have loved to have one back then, but I didn't even know that they existed D:

Seriously though, that sounds fantastic.

The first shiny I found in the wild was  a Geodude (Diamond).  I chained for a shiny Ditto shortly afterward and somehow got it on a chain of 8 (Pearl).  I then found a shiny Clefairy (White) with amazing IVs, an average nature, and the right nature.  I hunted for shiny starters in HG and got about 3 shiny Chikorita, 2 shiny Cyndaquil, and 1 shiny Totodile (that I lost because my M3 chip chose the worst time to freeze).  The Lake of Rage Gyarados was next.   I then went back to Pearl to chain a shiny Pichu which I got at a chain of 22.  Of course, most recently I found that Skorupi in White 2 that Bianca killed because I was teamed up with her and you can't catch a Pokemon when you're versing two at a time.  I've found tons of shinies on GTS, many of which are obviously fake (impossible catch places, perfect IVs, unreasonable ID numbers, Pokemon unobtainable as shiny like Mew, etc.).  I actually have about 2 boxes full of shinies, hacked and legit.

EDIT: Oops, forgot that I also RNG abused a bit in my Ruby version to get a shiny Treeko, shiny Groudon, and shiny Beldum.  I might get around to RNG abusing for more shinies, specifically Rayquaza, but I haven't had the time for it.

I tried chaining, but the random encounters kept interrupting them even after using repels, so I gave up on it after a while. When I first got my Platinum game, I didn't even know that natures affected the Pokemon, much less IVs. It wasn't until I got HeartGold when I started hunting/breeding for Pokemon with good natures and IVs. It was too tedious, but they nerfed it in gen 5 so that made things a bit easier. Haha, and I thought I was lucky with the shinies! I don't think I'd have the patience to continuously soft-reset for shinies. I tried getting a shiny Tepig in my White 2 version at one point (shiny Emboar's coloration is glorious), but after reaching a few hundred attempts, I gave up on it and settled for a Lonely nature. The shiny Skorupi you found basically sums up why I'm also especially paranoid of double battle encounters and safari encounters--so I tend to avoid those areas most of time. Ahhh! The GTS was where I mainly found my shinies! I managed to grab two shiny Mew, shiny Shaymin, shiny Darkrai, shiny Kyogre, shiny Groudon, shiny Flygon, and probably a lot more that I can't remember. Most of them were probably hacked, but I never bothered to check. I also managed to complete the Dex using the GTS, so I guess it's pretty easy to determine where I spent most of my time in the aftergame, haha. The Battle Facilities in Platinum was also one of my favorite places to go to and I also spent a good chunk of my time there.

Ohhh...I've heard of RNG abuse, but I never got around to learning its mechanics (it does sound pretty complicated). But nowadays when I play Pokemon, I usually play it for the plot line rather than for the IVs, natures, or EV training (though sometimes I find myself unconsciously forcing certain Pokemon members to battle only Pokemon that only give out specific EVs. I still cringe when I catch Pokemon like Scyther with a Modest nature). It's still fun to have a perfect selection of Pokemon, but it ends up being too time consuming for me to breed and train all of them.

This is seriously so mind-blowing for me to find someone who shares such a similar history to me when it comes to Pokemon. I have no words O:

And I've heard stories of people's circle pads breaking.  I don't want my Pikachu 3DS to suffer the same fate, so I won't be getting the 3DS version.  The Wii U version is more than enough anyway, so I don't think I'll be missing much.

Whaaaaatt. You have a Pikachu 3DS? D:

aklfadklghgkjhsgkjsgl. dang, I am missing out.

I only have a regular Wii and doubt that I'd find myself buying the WiiU since I'd only be using it for smash.

Tell me how it goes! I'll probably be digging through Twitch streams after it comes out.

I think I have a bad habit of defending clones, ever since I mained Roy back in Melee.  And it's no different now as I'm a fan of Lucina in Sm4sh.  I do see where you came from, but honestly the roster would have been smaller if the clones were to be removed and the most we could have gotten in return is three extra trophies.  Not to mention, fans of the characters that were made into clones don't have to settle for just recolors, so I think it's all good. 

Ohh, I see what you mean. The roster probably wouldn't look as impressive if it weren't for the clones. I guess it doesn't really make that big of a difference as long as there isn't an overabundance of them, haha. 

I've put your quote in spoilers to cut back on the space we're taking up.  We've also kind of strayed off topic, but this thread has always been slow, so I don't think there's any real harm in it.

I tried chaining, but the random encounters kept interrupting them even after using repels, so I gave up on it after a while. When I first got my Platinum game, I didn't even know that natures affected the Pokemon, much less IVs. It wasn't until I got HeartGold when I started hunting/breeding for Pokemon with good natures and IVs. It was too tedious, but they nerfed it in gen 5 so that made things a bit easier. Haha, and I thought I was lucky with the shinies! I don't think I'd have the patience to continuously soft-reset for shinies. I tried getting a shiny Tepig in my White 2 version at one point (shiny Emboar's coloration is glorious), but after reaching a few hundred attempts, I gave up on it and settled for a Lonely nature. The shiny Skorupi you found basically sums up why I'm also especially paranoid of double battle encounters and safari encounters--so I tend to avoid those areas most of time. Ahhh! The GTS was where I mainly found my shinies! I managed to grab two shiny Mew, shiny Shaymin, shiny Darkrai, shiny Kyogre, shiny Groudon, shiny Flygon, and probably a lot more that I can't remember. Most of them were probably hacked, but I never bothered to check. I also managed to complete the Dex using the GTS, so I guess it's pretty easy to determine where I spent most of my time in the aftergame, haha. The Battle Facilities in Platinum was also one of my favorite places to go to and I also spent a good chunk of my time there.

Ohhh...I've heard of RNG abuse, but I never got around to learning its mechanics (it does sound pretty complicated). But nowadays when I play Pokemon, I usually play it for the plot line rather than for the IVs, natures, or EV training (though sometimes I find myself unconsciously forcing certain Pokemon members to battle only Pokemon that only give out specific EVs. I still cringe when I catch Pokemon like Scyther with a Modest nature). It's still fun to have a perfect selection of Pokemon, but it ends up being too time consuming for me to breed and train all of them.

This is seriously so mind-blowing for me to find someone who shares such a similar history to me when it comes to Pokemon. I have no words O:

My thoughts on chaining below:

Chaining is a royal pain.  Though I think that, it's also probably the fastest way to find a shiny.  From the sound of it, did you do much research before trying your hand at chaining?  I also thought I was doing it right, until I realized I wasn't!  There are a ton of rules, it's almost like some crazy Death Note math problem.  The only safe patches to step in to keep the chain going are four tile rings away.  However, none of the tiles in the row or column you are standing in are safe, not even the ones four blocks away.  Also, the only patches with a nearly 100% success rate are the ones that are a part of four "safe" formations (you can look those up if you're interested): if the patches don't shake in any of those exact alignments, it's considered "risky".  Bad shaking grasses are ones bunched up together with a lot of other, no matter how far away.  Also, if it's too far away from any other shaking patch, it's also a bad one, regardless of its distance away.  And those are just the basics, as there are still a lot of other rules and tips to follow to get your chain to that golden number of 40.  I've never gotten there, but I've been lucky enough to find two shinies with the increased chances for every number I add to my chain.  It's a really stressful process and it's also really infuriating when you mess up or you somehow land on the "safe" patch and trigger that 2% failure flag (which I did once and it hurt).  Here's a really detailed guide on it: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining 

I was completely clueless about natures and EVs and IVs for the longest time.  Just like you, I found it to be annoying to have to worry about when all I wanted to do was have fun and play Pokemon, but I do EV train Pokemon I'm especially fond of.  I also competitively raise Pokemon for Battle Towers and other facilities, mainly in my Pearl version though.  I'm just either really stubborn or really stupid or a mix a both for soft resetting.  If you ever want to start, I suggest you try SRing for the HGSS starters.  It's the only game where you can tell if they're shiny before you pick them from the Pokeball, so you can scroll through them all to check if one of them turned up shiny.  It increases your chances by 3 fold, so it's about 1/2730 chances now.  If you're looking for a shiny and don't care which starter you get, it's also kind of fun since it's almost like a lottery.  You can then take that shiny and solo run the whole game or something.  I also hate the Safari Zone and pairing up, but what made it worse was that it was part of the plot and there are no avoiding it!  Gah, I can't believe my luck.  I just tell myself it must have had a terrible nature and IVs to make myself feel better.  I also used GTS to complete my National Pokedex!  I've only ever completed it in Pearl, because it was my first game and I owed it that much at least.  Completing the Natdex was crazy, in both a good and bad way.  I did it completely legitimately too, obtaining event Pokemon through friends who had them.  I had a huge list of everything I had yet to obtain, and crossed them off as I went.  It's really fun to scroll down the Pokedex and see every Pokemon with colored in Pokeballs next to their names and sprites.  Because of that I have a gold trainer card, and I'm working toward a black one, the final color.  I just need to win 100 in a row at the Battle Tower but it's really hard.  I've only ever gotten up to 64 and even my EV trained Internet recommended team can't get me where I want to go.  I may have to rethink my strategy and make a completely new team...

My thoughts on RNG abusing below:

RNG abusing is really easy in Ruby and Sapphire (Emerald too I think, but it might be a little different).  The way it works is simple, though this only applies to the RSE series.  People hacked into the games and found that each of the 60 frames per second in the game "coded" for a Pokemon of specific, unchanging stats (nature, IVs).  For example, if you encounter a Pokemon during frame 3719 after you turn on the game and catch it, and encounter another Pokemon on frame 3179 after you've turned off the game and caught that, no matter the Pokemon the stats would be identical.  As it goes, shininess is determined the same way.  Specific frames are always shiny.  Therefore, any Pokemon you encounter during that frame will be shiny.  Luckily, shiny frames aren't universal for every cartridge like the stats are, they're set on different frames depending on the ID number you receive at the beginning of the game.  Are you getting the flow of things now?  You first "abuse" the RNG (random number generator) to get a specific ID number to get your desired shiny frames on your desired stats.  Then you RNG abuse one more time to encounter a Pokemon on that exact frame and voila you have a shiny Pokemon with amazing stats!  There are other small details, like how the battery has to be dry in the Gameboy Advance cartridge and how you need to download a program which compiles the entire frame database to know the millisecond the frame occurs, but I don't want to go into too much detail unless you're actually going to RNG abuse Ruby or Sapphire.  Here's the video I used to get my shiny Treeko (it's really helpful, more so than articles online): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QDzJj1RQw 

Oh my gosh, sorry for typing so much, but as you said it's really exciting to find someone so much like me! 

(how are we not on the next page yet?)

I've put your quote in spoilers to cut back on the space we're taking up.  We've also kind of strayed off topic, but this thread has always been slow, so I don't think there's any real harm in it.

My thoughts on chaining below:

Chaining is a royal pain.  Though I think that, it's also probably the fastest way to find a shiny.  From the sound of it, did you do much research before trying your hand at chaining?  I also thought I was doing it right, until I realized I wasn't!  There are a ton of rules, it's almost like some crazy Death Note math problem.  The only safe patches to step in to keep the chain going are four tile rings away.  However, none of the tiles in the row or column you are standing in are safe, not even the ones four blocks away.  Also, the only patches with a nearly 100% success rate are the ones that are a part of four "safe" formations (you can look those up if you're interested): if the patches don't shake in any of those exact alignments, it's considered "risky".  Bad shaking grasses are ones bunched up together with a lot of other, no matter how far away.  Also, if it's too far away from any other shaking patch, it's also a bad one, regardless of its distance away.  And those are just the basics, as there are still a lot of other rules and tips to follow to get your chain to that golden number of 40.  I've never gotten there, but I've been lucky enough to find two shinies with the increased chances for every number I add to my chain.  It's a really stressful process and it's also really infuriating when you mess up or you somehow land on the "safe" patch and trigger that 2% failure flag (which I did once and it hurt).  Here's a really detailed guide on it: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/chaining 

When I first started chaining (which was during 6th grade I believe), I was unaware of how many factors came into play. I just skimmed through a quick guide on serebii and dove right into it. I was also pretty impatient, so I gave up quickly after a few failures. My ignorant 6th grade-self misused the PokeRadar without doing much research. I figured spraying repels was enough to ward off the wild Pokemon from ruining my chain. Afterwards, I would mindlessly run around in the patches grass until I had a random encounter (I never payed attention to their positions). Needless to say, I wasn't very successful, lol. If I were to have done it now, I probably would have been much more meticulous in my planning, but I no longer have the motivation to do it. A 1/200 chance is still a pretty small number even though it's significantly higher than the usual 1/8192 chance. I'm also not willing to put up with the stress that comes with chaining. I'm the type of person who's going to be put into a bad mood for the rest of the day if something I've worked on for a long time ends in failure, haha. I appreciate the guide though! I'll be sure to reference this if I ever feel the need to go shiny hunting again!

I was completely clueless about natures and EVs and IVs for the longest time.  Just like you, I found it to be annoying to have to worry about when all I wanted to do was have fun and play Pokemon, but I do EV train Pokemon I'm especially fond of.  I also competitively raise Pokemon for Battle Towers and other facilities, mainly in my Pearl version though.  I'm just either really stubborn or really stupid or a mix a both for soft resetting.  If you ever want to start, I suggest you try SRing for the HGSS starters.  It's the only game where you can tell if they're shiny before you pick them from the Pokeball, so you can scroll through them all to check if one of them turned up shiny.  It increases your chances by 3 fold, so it's about 1/2730 chances now.  If you're looking for a shiny and don't care which starter you get, it's also kind of fun since it's almost like a lottery.  You can then take that shiny and solo run the whole game or something.  I also hate the Safari Zone and pairing up, but what made it worse was that it was part of the plot and there are no avoiding it!  Gah, I can't believe my luck.  I just tell myself it must have had a terrible nature and IVs to make myself feel better.  I also used GTS to complete my National Pokedex!  I've only ever completed it in Pearl, because it was my first game and I owed it that much at least.  Completing the Natdex was crazy, in both a good and bad way.  I did it completely legitimately too, obtaining event Pokemon through friends who had them.  I had a huge list of everything I had yet to obtain, and crossed them off as I went.  It's really fun to scroll down the Pokedex and see every Pokemon with colored in Pokeballs next to their names and sprites.  Because of that I have a gold trainer card, and I'm working toward a black one, the final color.  I just need to win 100 in a row at the Battle Tower but it's really hard.  I've only ever gotten up to 64 and even my EV trained Internet recommended team can't get me where I want to go.  I may have to rethink my strategy and make a completely new team...

Whenever I'm playing a new Pokemon game, I always EV train my starters! But in White 2, I took the liberty to catch a bunch of my favorite Pokemon, then EV training them so I could beat White Treehollow (which was surprisingly a lot harder than I thought it would be). I wasn't aware of the effects of EVs/IVs/natures when I was playing Platinum so I wasn't as picky when it came to training Pokemon at the time. The highest I've gotten in the Battle Tower is 48 (that darn Cresselia), which I am somewhat shocked at since none of the Pokemon I used were EV trained. When I was looking up the shiny starters for HGSS, I came across a YouTube video that revealed how you could tell whether they're shiny before picking one. Naturally, I became a little disgruntled since I was already far in the game when I discovered that video and because I couldn't bring myself to restart the game just so I could SR for a shiny starter. I try to avoid the Safari Zone at all costs (unless I'm hunting for a "rare" Pokemon exclusive to that area). Although the chances are a minuscule 1/8192, I still can't imagine how irritated I would be if I encountered a shiny that I couldn't catch (it's still shocking to me how many stories of shiny Voltorb and Geodude blowing up I've heard so far). My friend managed to catch a shiny Hoothoot in the Safari Zone, but she traded it to me in return for a Vulpix. Like you, the only Dex I've ever completed is also from 4th gen (Platinum). This was done completely from trades from friends and the GTS. I'm not aware of whether the Pokemon are legitimate or not, but I obtained all of them without hacking my game--so I'm still pretty proud of it. My team from the Battle Tower was comprised of Pokemon I thought would fare well against Palmer. My goal was to beat him at streak 49, but his Cresselia is just so darn defensive. Plus, like I said before, my Pokemon weren't EV trained, so it wasn't likely that I'd get very far anyway, lol.

My thoughts on RNG abusing below:

RNG abusing is really easy in Ruby and Sapphire (Emerald too I think, but it might be a little different).  The way it works is simple, though this only applies to the RSE series.  People hacked into the games and found that each of the 60 frames per second in the game "coded" for a Pokemon of specific, unchanging stats (nature, IVs).  For example, if you encounter a Pokemon during frame 3719 after you turn on the game and catch it, and encounter another Pokemon on frame 3179 after you've turned off the game and caught that, no matter the Pokemon the stats would be identical.  As it goes, shininess is determined the same way.  Specific frames are always shiny.  Therefore, any Pokemon you encounter during that frame will be shiny.  Luckily, shiny frames aren't universal for every cartridge like the stats are, they're set on different frames depending on the ID number you receive at the beginning of the game.  Are you getting the flow of things now?  You first "abuse" the RNG (random number generator) to get a specific ID number to get your desired shiny frames on your desired stats.  Then you RNG abuse one more time to encounter a Pokemon on that exact frame and voila you have a shiny Pokemon with amazing stats!  There are other small details, like how the battery has to be dry in the Gameboy Advance cartridge and how you need to download a program which compiles the entire frame database to know the millisecond the frame occurs, but I don't want to go into too much detail unless you're actually going to RNG abuse Ruby or Sapphire.  Here's the video I used to get my shiny Treeko (it's really helpful, more so than articles online): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8QDzJj1RQw 

Oh my gosh, sorry for typing so much, but as you said it's really exciting to find someone so much like me! 

(how are we not on the next page yet?)

I think I mentioned before that I got my Sapphire game in China. The memory of the game was erased for some odd reason after reaching the Elite 4 and it refuses to save now (it was probably pirated since it didn't come in its signature blue cartridge). The video and the description you included definitely cleared things up a bit! (the articles on sites like bulbapedia didn't explain much) Although I don't think I'll be able to utilize this method since my Sapphire game is practically useless at this point. Otherwise, I probably would have abused the crap outta this for competitive stuffs.

Nowadays I just hop on Pokemon Showdown sparingly and battle for fun since setting up a competitive team on there takes literally a few minutes as opposed to days when done in-game.

Ahhh! It's so thrilling being able to discuss these things with someone! :'D

I also think whether we go onto the next page of the topic depends on the post number and not necessarily the length of the post--although it certainly feels like we should have been on the next page ages ago, haha.

Whenever I'm playing a new Pokemon game, I always EV train my starters! But in White 2, I took the liberty to catch a bunch of my favorite Pokemon, then EV training them so I could beat White Treehollow (which was surprisingly a lot harder than I thought it would be). I wasn't aware of the effects of EVs/IVs/natures when I was playing Platinum so I wasn't as picky when it came to training Pokemon at the time. The highest I've gotten in the Battle Tower is 48 (that darn Cresselia), which I am somewhat shocked at since none of the Pokemon I used were EV trained. When I was looking up the shiny starters for HGSS, I came across a YouTube video that revealed how you could tell whether they're shiny before picking one. Naturally, I became a little disgruntled since I was already far in the game when I discovered that video and because I couldn't bring myself to restart the game just so I could SR for a shiny starter. I try to avoid the Safari Zone at all costs (unless I'm hunting for a "rare" Pokemon exclusive to that area). Although the chances are a minuscule 1/8192, I still can't imagine how irritated I would be if I encountered a shiny that I couldn't catch (it's still shocking to me how many stories of shiny Voltorb and Geodude blowing up I've heard so far). My friend managed to catch a shiny Hoothoot in the Safari Zone, but she traded it to me in return for a Vulpix. Like you, the only Dex I've ever completed is also from 4th gen (Platinum). This was done completely from trades from friends and the GTS. I'm not aware of whether the Pokemon are legitimate or not, but I obtained all of them without hacking my game--so I'm still pretty proud of it. My team from the Battle Tower was comprised of Pokemon I thought would fare well against Palmer. My goal was to beat him at streak 49, but his Cresselia is just so darn defensive. Plus, like I said before, my Pokemon weren't EV trained, so it wasn't likely that I'd get very far anyway, lol.

I've only ever EV trained my Oshawott in White 2.  The first route has Purrlpoin and Patrat, which give speed and attack EVs respectively, so I just stay right there and almost fully EV trained 252/252 before moving on.  I almost EV trained in Y, but you get exp. and EVs even when you catch a Pokemon, which makes things a bit harder so I didn't bother to put in the effort.  In fear of those self-destructing Pokemon, I always have at least one Master Ball on me at all times.  I've collected a ton of Master Balls in my Pearl version from all those run-throughs that I was going to restart.  Almost as many of those as Exp. Shares.  Oh, the other day I actually almost won the grand prize at the Jubilife City lottery.  I matched the last four digits of the five digit ID number.  This is like the third time it's happened and I can't believe I was that close to an extra Master Ball.  Also can't believe I've traded through GTS that many times...  It's actually pretty good you managed to get as far as you did in the Battle Tower!  Before I used strategy or EVs/IVs/items, I only got up to 20.  Never tried only strategy with no EVs or IVs though.

I think I mentioned before that I got my Sapphire game in China. The memory of the game was erased for some odd reason after reaching the Elite 4 and it refuses to save now (it was probably pirated since it didn't come in its signature blue cartridge). The video and the description you included definitely cleared things up a bit! (the articles on sites like bulbapedia didn't explain much) Although I don't think I'll be able to utilize this method since my Sapphire game is practically useless at this point. Otherwise, I probably would have abused the crap outta this for competitive stuffs.

Nowadays I just hop on Pokemon Showdown sparingly and battle for fun since setting up a competitive team on there takes literally a few minutes as opposed to days when done in-game.

Ahhh! It's so thrilling being able to discuss these things with someone! :'D

I also think whether we go onto the next page of the topic depends on the post number and not necessarily the length of the post--although it certainly feels like we should have been on the next page ages ago, haha.

I had some weird LeafGreen version that was the same as your Sapphire.  Well, it was similar at least.  It would only save if you saved twice; the first save didn't do anything (weird, right?).  I thought this was no problem, and completely forgot the game auto saved after you beat the Champion, but only once.  So every time I beat him, I would roll through the credits and bizarrely end right back in front of the him again.  I was stuff and gave up, even though I guess I could have tried to lose on purpose.  It was pointless after that point anyway.

I don't use Pokemon Showdown, but my brother does and I heard it's pretty good.  I've been working on beating the Battle Tower in Pearl and played a bit of Y (just yesterday, in fact) so I'm getting my Pokemon fix as it is. 

Edit: Oh my gosh, we're on a new page!

Edited by Akazora

I've only ever EV trained my Oshawott in White 2.  The first route has Purrlpoin and Patrat, which give speed and attack EVs respectively, so I just stay right there and almost fully EV trained 252/252 before moving on.  I almost EV trained in Y, but you get exp. and EVs even when you catch a Pokemon, which makes things a bit harder so I didn't bother to put in the effort.  In fear of those self-destructing Pokemon, I always have at least one Master Ball on me at all times.  I've collected a ton of Master Balls in my Pearl version from all those run-throughs that I was going to restart.  Almost as many of those as Exp. Shares.  Oh, the other day I actually almost won the grand prize at the Jubilife City lottery.  I matched the last four digits of the five digit ID number.  This is like the third time it's happened and I can't believe I was that close to an extra Master Ball.  Also can't believe I've traded through GTS that many times...  It's actually pretty good you managed to get as far as you did in the Battle Tower!  Before I used strategy or EVs/IVs/items, I only got up to 20.  Never tried only strategy with no EVs or IVs though.

When I had my first Oshawott in Black, I gave it a mixed set so I was unsure about what EVs to give. So I kinda just yolo'd it. I mainly EV train Pokemon that specialize in certain stats--so Toxicroak would get 252/252 in attack and speed, and Alakazam would get 252/252 in sp attack and speed. I leave alone other Pokemon that have potential to be mixed since I can never make up my mind what to train them in, lol. I've heard that the exp. share does make things harder in X/Y, but you could always box the Pokemon you don't want to EV train in a certain stat. It's kinda tedious though so if it were me, I'd probably give up on EV training during the plotline and then resume EV training during the aftergame. I'm not comfortable catching Pokemon in Master Balls. The only time I used one was to catch that roaming Mesprit in Platinum (which I regret now). Using a Master Ball seems kinda cheap and doesn't feel as rewarding as catching something in other Pokeballs. In my opinion, Pokemon caught in Master Balls give off this vibe as if they've been hacked. If I encountered a shiny Geodude or Voltorb, I'd be pretty torn about which Pokeball I should use. But in the end, catching it in a Master Ball is more worth it than letting the Pokemon explode. In my White 2 game, every single Pokemon I've caught have been caught in Pokeballs--including the legendaries. Lately, I've been getting somewhat OCD on what I catch my Pokemon in. It has to be caught in a classic Pokeball, unless it's a shiny (then it can be caught in a Heal Ball ;D). I've only won the Jubilife lottery once--but it can also be attributed to countless amount of times I've been on the GTS. The Battle Tower was seriously difficult. Most of the time, I would just head off to the other facilities since their premises' can be a lot more fun (and less rage-inducing) sometimes.

I had some weird LeafGreen version that was the same as your Sapphire.  Well, it was similar at least.  It would only save if you saved twice; the first save didn't do anything (weird, right?).  I thought this was no problem, and completely forgot the game auto saved after you beat the Champion, but only once.  So every time I beat him, I would roll through the credits and bizarrely end right back in front of the him again.  I was stuff and gave up, even though I guess I could have tried to lose on purpose.  It was pointless after that point anyway.

I don't use Pokemon Showdown, but my brother does and I heard it's pretty good.  I've been working on beating the Battle Tower in Pearl and played a bit of Y (just yesterday, in fact) so I'm getting my Pokemon fix as it is. 

Edit: Oh my gosh, we're on a new page!

Was your LeafGreen also "unofficial"? (for lack of a better word)

I love using Pokemon Showdown! Although most of the time, I only participate in random battles since the teams in the OU/ORAS OU tiers become way too repetitive these days. The Battle Tower is so gosh darn difficult. I really admire your patience with it because I gave up on it ages ago. I also wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of the possibility of losing at streak 99. It's not worth it D:

When I had my first Oshawott in Black, I gave it a mixed set so I was unsure about what EVs to give. So I kinda just yolo'd it. I mainly EV train Pokemon that specialize in certain stats--so Toxicroak would get 252/252 in attack and speed, and Alakazam would get 252/252 in sp attack and speed. I leave alone other Pokemon that have potential to be mixed since I can never make up my mind what to train them in, lol. I've heard that the exp. share does make things harder in X/Y, but you could always box the Pokemon you don't want to EV train in a certain stat. It's kinda tedious though so if it were me, I'd probably give up on EV training during the plotline and then resume EV training during the aftergame. I'm not comfortable catching Pokemon in Master Balls. The only time I used one was to catch that roaming Mesprit in Platinum (which I regret now). Using a Master Ball seems kinda cheap and doesn't feel as rewarding as catching something in other Pokeballs. In my opinion, Pokemon caught in Master Balls give off this vibe as if they've been hacked. If I encountered a shiny Geodude or Voltorb, I'd be pretty torn about which Pokeball I should use. But in the end, catching it in a Master Ball is more worth it than letting the Pokemon explode. In my White 2 game, every single Pokemon I've caught have been caught in Pokeballs--including the legendaries. Lately, I've been getting somewhat OCD on what I catch my Pokemon in. It has to be caught in a classic Pokeball, unless it's a shiny (then it can be caught in a Heal Ball ;D). I've only won the Jubilife lottery once--but it can also be attributed to countless amount of times I've been on the GTS. The Battle Tower was seriously difficult. Most of the time, I would just head off to the other facilities since their premises' can be a lot more fun (and less rage-inducing) sometimes.

Was your LeafGreen also "unofficial"? (for lack of a better word)

I love using Pokemon Showdown! Although most of the time, I only participate in random battles since the teams in the OU/ORAS OU tiers become way too repetitive these days. The Battle Tower is so gosh darn difficult. I really admire your patience with it because I gave up on it ages ago. I also wouldn't be able to handle the pressure of the possibility of losing at streak 99. It's not worth it D:

The Exp. Share definitely shocked me when I first used and everyone started gaining exp. at once and leveling up.  It's actually not that bad, since it's not a hold item anymore.  It's a Key Item and there's an option to turn it off.  Of course, that means the only way to EV train a really low leveled Pokemon is via the old fashioned way of switching in a stronger fully EV trained Pokemon or just emptying out your party and turning on the Exp. Share.  And you don't use Master Balls either?  That's crazy, I thought we had exhausted all of our similarities!  I used to use Master Balls a lot when I was a kid, but I very quickly stopped once I learned of shinies.  I'm only comfortable using a Master Ball on a legendary Pokemon I know I really want to EV train, so I soft reset for nature and IVs which requires a Master Ball.  And even then I don't do that very often.  If it's just catching to catch it, I find normal Pokeballs look the most attractive.  All these fancy colors and types (especially in HGSS) make things look and feel unbalanced.  Geez, maybe I also have OCD tendencies, because mismatched Pokeballs really drive me crazy, haha.  When I RNGed my shiny Groudon, I even used only Pokeballs.  I'll admit it was crazy hard to catch, and it always ended up running out of PP and Struggling itself to death.  It was actually really frustrating because I had to RNG the Groudon over and over again.  It killed itself about five times before I finally caught it.  It was so daunting, I don't know how I'll muster up the courage to take down a shiny Rayquaza with a Pokeball.  Battle Tower is really tough, but in Pearl it's the only facility available.  There's no Battle Frontier like in Platinum and HGSS unfortunately, so the only thing I have to break up the monotony is double battles, which aren't any more interesting.  Losing the 64 win streak was already pretty heartbreaking, and I can't imagine losing anything more.  It will most likely happen though, so I'm steeling my emotions for when it happens.  And yes, my LeafGreen was given to me by a friend who had gotten it from China.  Apart from the obviously counterfeit grey cartridge and double-save glitch, it honestly worked really well.  It didn't really matter, since I got my hands on a legit FireRed and ran through that quickly to explore the rest of the Sevii Islands post-game.  I'd use Pokemon Showdown more, but I've just been so busy!  I have found myself watching my brother play with it though, and it does look really good.   

The Exp. Share definitely shocked me when I first used and everyone started gaining exp. at once and leveling up.  It's actually not that bad, since it's not a hold item anymore.  It's a Key Item and there's an option to turn it off.  Of course, that means the only way to EV train a really low leveled Pokemon is via the old fashioned way of switching in a stronger fully EV trained Pokemon or just emptying out your party and turning on the Exp. Share.  And you don't use Master Balls either?  That's crazy, I thought we had exhausted all of our similarities!  I used to use Master Balls a lot when I was a kid, but I very quickly stopped once I learned of shinies.  I'm only comfortable using a Master Ball on a legendary Pokemon I know I really want to EV train, so I soft reset for nature and IVs which requires a Master Ball.  And even then I don't do that very often.  If it's just catching to catch it, I find normal Pokeballs look the most attractive.  All these fancy colors and types (especially in HGSS) make things look and feel unbalanced.  Geez, maybe I also have OCD tendencies, because mismatched Pokeballs really drive me crazy, haha.  When I RNGed my shiny Groudon, I even used only Pokeballs.  I'll admit it was crazy hard to catch, and it always ended up running out of PP and Struggling itself to death.  It was actually really frustrating because I had to RNG the Groudon over and over again.  It killed itself about five times before I finally caught it.  It was so daunting, I don't know how I'll muster up the courage to take down a shiny Rayquaza with a Pokeball.  Battle Tower is really tough, but in Pearl it's the only facility available.  There's no Battle Frontier like in Platinum and HGSS unfortunately, so the only thing I have to break up the monotony is double battles, which aren't any more interesting.  Losing the 64 win streak was already pretty heartbreaking, and I can't imagine losing anything more.  It will most likely happen though, so I'm steeling my emotions for when it happens.  And yes, my LeafGreen was given to me by a friend who had gotten it from China.  Apart from the obviously counterfeit grey cartridge and double-save glitch, it honestly worked really well.  It didn't really matter, since I got my hands on a legit FireRed and ran through that quickly to explore the rest of the Sevii Islands post-game.  I'd use Pokemon Showdown more, but I've just been so busy!  I have found myself watching my brother play with it though, and it does look really good.   

Even with the nerfed Exp. Share, EV training doesn't seem to be a huge issue in X/Y since they decided to incorporate super training. Master Balls are a bit tacky in my opinion. It's probably my least favorite Pokeball in the series. You stopped using Master Balls because of shinies? I might be the opposite (but only in dire situations like poison, recoil moves, explosions, etc.). I'm still not comfortable using the Master Ball on legendaries. I'd much rather catch them in an Ultra Ball or Dusk Ball if Pokeballs fail to work, much to my dismay. Five tries to catch a Groudon in a Pokeball is actually impressive. I think I took at least eight tries catching Giratina, but that was also while using only Dusk Balls and Timer Balls. Pokemon from older generations tend to have lower catch rates, so I don't think I'd ever attempt to catch all of them in Pokeballs--no matter how OCD I am about it. I don't know why, but something about the Pokeball just screams "classic." I completely agree with you how the color schemes of the other Pokeballs seem mismatched or out of place. The only exception I would plant is catching Pokemon with corresponding Pokeball animation. So shinies can be caught in Heal Balls, water Pokemon can be caught in Dive Balls, ghost Pokemon can be caught in Dusk Balls, etc. I won't work with anything else. I also don't like the Net Ball or Timer Ball animation since it doesn't fit normal Pokeball criteria for animation (or at least in my opinion). I personally think that the Battle Frontier from Platinum/HGSS outdoes Gen III's. I love how lively the atmosphere is since it's almost theme park-like. I still hope they plan to bring back the Hoenn Frontier for ORAS because I'm really curious as to how they plan to renovate it. I never got a good opportunity to experience FRLG. I had a friend who lent me a copy of FireRed for a few days, but that was barely enough for me to explore the region. Pokemon Showdown can get dangerously addicting.

I highly recommend it if you ever have free time.

Also, much respect for your patience in the Battle Tower. 

bless.

Even with the nerfed Exp. Share, EV training doesn't seem to be a huge issue in X/Y since they decided to incorporate super training. Master Balls are a bit tacky in my opinion. It's probably my least favorite Pokeball in the series. You stopped using Master Balls because of shinies? I might be the opposite (but only in dire situations like poison, recoil moves, explosions, etc.). I'm still not comfortable using the Master Ball on legendaries. I'd much rather catch them in an Ultra Ball or Dusk Ball if Pokeballs fail to work, much to my dismay. Five tries to catch a Groudon in a Pokeball is actually impressive. I think I took at least eight tries catching Giratina, but that was also while using only Dusk Balls and Timer Balls. Pokemon from older generations tend to have lower catch rates, so I don't think I'd ever attempt to catch all of them in Pokeballs--no matter how OCD I am about it. I don't know why, but something about the Pokeball just screams "classic." I completely agree with you how the color schemes of the other Pokeballs seem mismatched or out of place. The only exception I would plant is catching Pokemon with corresponding Pokeball animation. So shinies can be caught in Heal Balls, water Pokemon can be caught in Dive Balls, ghost Pokemon can be caught in Dusk Balls, etc. I won't work with anything else. I also don't like the Net Ball or Timer Ball animation since it doesn't fit normal Pokeball criteria for animation (or at least in my opinion). I personally think that the Battle Frontier from Platinum/HGSS outdoes Gen III's. I love how lively the atmosphere is since it's almost theme park-like. I still hope they plan to bring back the Hoenn Frontier for ORAS because I'm really curious as to how they plan to renovate it. I never got a good opportunity to experience FRLG. I had a friend who lent me a copy of FireRed for a few days, but that was barely enough for me to explore the region. Pokemon Showdown can get dangerously addicting.

I highly recommend it if you ever have free time.

Also, much respect for your patience in the Battle Tower. 

bless.

Super Training isn't something I've actually ever done to fully EV train a Pokemon, only because my goal is to run through Y as fast as possible, but I like how your Pokemon can just randomly find a punching bag as you wander around and play the game.  Then you can invest a few seconds punching that bag which gives you EVs.  It's also cool how, right on the bottom screen in the Super Training menu, you can check the total EVs of every Pokemon in the party as well as a rough idea of how many EVs a Pokemon has and has left.  And you can also clear all EVs with a a Reset Bag, which I've already picked up two of!  It's definitely convenient, though if I need to I'll probably just EV train the old fashioned way by battling and use Super Training to make sure I'm on the right track.  And I guess I only stopped using Master Balls because I wanted to save them for shinies, just in case.  So I pretty much only use my precious Master Balls for those rare guys.  And I guess Pokeballs that correspond to types would look rather nice.  Never really tried that, since it's easier to just blindly chuck plain Pokeballs.  I did like the Emerald Frontier's atmosphere.  Ruby and Sapphire just had that tower on the island, which was really lame.  We have that "Episode Delta" thing confirmed for ORAS, so from the looks of it there'll at least be some sort of new post-game adventure, which is awesome.  Kanto was never really a very interesting region, given it was the first one ever made, so even its remake in FRLG and its appearance in HGSS couldn't really make it exciting.  Given you've already played HGSS, you've explored pretty much all of FRLG.  Maybe not the old Cinnabar Island or all the Sevii Islands, but those weren't that interesting anyway.

Phew, we've strayed so far off topic.  This has become almost our personal Pokemon discussion thread instead of a general video game discussion thread.  

Mario Kart 8

I also just played that!  Only for an hour, but it was all the time I could manage.  The Wii U is an amazing console, it still blows my mind.

I also recently played through A Bird Story, which is a PC game "pseudo-sequel" to To the Moon.  And I messed around with the Sm4sh 3DS and ORAS demos for fun.  Anticipating the release of both ORAS and Sm4sh Wii U on Friday!

I love the Wii U. It carries games with such beautiful graphics.

Well, I have played the Sonic Lost World and the Bayonetta 2 demos on the Wii U, since I've never had a chance to play them before, though this wasn't actually the last video game I played recently. I really loved Sonic Lost World. I'm not really into most Sonic games they release now days, but Sonic Lost World was pretty fun and had a classic feel to it. I also loved Bayonetta 2, but I was horrible at playing it. The buttons really threw me off a bit, and I kept failing, so I completed the stage with a stone ranking. :P My brother hasn't had the chance to buy it yet, but it seems that he really wants Bayonetta 2. I'm kinda into the game myself. :P

But the last video game I have played was actually Mario Kart 8. Played a cup normally, then played online for a bit. I mostly played with Link, then I noticed how many people play with Link. Cause there was mostly Links racing, with a few Tanooki Mario's and Cat Peach's. Since they are DLC, and they are new, it makes since why soo many people have been playing them lately. I have played with a few other characters though like Rosalina, Yoshi, Koopa, Luigi, and Tanooki Mario. I played it for about an hour or so, until I was getting tired, and decided to watch an episode of Detective Conan on the Wii U, before shutting it off.

Super Training isn't something I've actually ever done to fully EV train a Pokemon, only because my goal is to run through Y as fast as possible, but I like how your Pokemon can just randomly find a punching bag as you wander around and play the game.  Then you can invest a few seconds punching that bag which gives you EVs.  It's also cool how, right on the bottom screen in the Super Training menu, you can check the total EVs of every Pokemon in the party as well as a rough idea of how many EVs a Pokemon has and has left.  And you can also clear all EVs with a a Reset Bag, which I've already picked up two of!  It's definitely convenient, though if I need to I'll probably just EV train the old fashioned way by battling and use Super Training to make sure I'm on the right track.  And I guess I only stopped using Master Balls because I wanted to save them for shinies, just in case.  So I pretty much only use my precious Master Balls for those rare guys.  And I guess Pokeballs that correspond to types would look rather nice.  Never really tried that, since it's easier to just blindly chuck plain Pokeballs.  I did like the Emerald Frontier's atmosphere.  Ruby and Sapphire just had that tower on the island, which was really lame.  We have that "Episode Delta" thing confirmed for ORAS, so from the looks of it there'll at least be some sort of new post-game adventure, which is awesome.  Kanto was never really a very interesting region, given it was the first one ever made, so even its remake in FRLG and its appearance in HGSS couldn't really make it exciting.  Given you've already played HGSS, you've explored pretty much all of FRLG.  Maybe not the old Cinnabar Island or all the Sevii Islands, but those weren't that interesting anyway.

Phew, we've strayed so far off topic.  This has become almost our personal Pokemon discussion thread instead of a general video game discussion thread.  

I wish they implemented super training earlier--it probably would have helped me a lot in EV training. The concept of super training also feels dumbed down since all the Pokemon has to do is punch a bag (and suddenly their defenses rise, wow!). Still though, it's a lot more convenient than the usual way of cashing out on vitamins and battling the same Pokemon over and over again. It kinda bothers me how the Pokeball the Pokemon is caught in becomes a permanent home for the Pokemon--it's not swappable with another one just for the sake of aesthetics. It's times like this where I really regret catching that shiny Dugtrio in a Timer Ball. They introduced so many new storylines and legendary events in ORAS. But since I don't have a 3DS, I'm going on a binge-watching spree on Friday when the games come out--same with smash. Episode Delta also sounds awesome; they've never actually put Deoxys in a plot-related situation in the previous games. I'm still crossing my fingers for the new frontier.

No one else replies actively to this thread anymore, so I don't think anyone will mind, lol.

I wish they implemented super training earlier--it probably would have helped me a lot in EV training. The concept of super training also feels dumbed down since all the Pokemon has to do is punch a bag (and suddenly their defenses rise, wow!). Still though, it's a lot more convenient than the usual way of cashing out on vitamins and battling the same Pokemon over and over again. It kinda bothers me how the Pokeball the Pokemon is caught in becomes a permanent home for the Pokemon--it's not swappable with another one just for the sake of aesthetics. It's times like this where I really regret catching that shiny Dugtrio in a Timer Ball. They introduced so many new storylines and legendary events in ORAS. But since I don't have a 3DS, I'm going on a binge-watching spree on Friday when the games come out--same with smash. Episode Delta also sounds awesome; they've never actually put Deoxys in a plot-related situation in the previous games. I'm still crossing my fingers for the new frontier.

No one else replies actively to this thread anymore, so I don't think anyone will mind, lol.

Well, the most efficient way to use Super Training is to participate in the Super Training regimen.  You have your Pokemon stand on a plane and throw soccer balls at an inflatable balloon with baskets on it.  Each time you score enough points you complete a round and get a set number of EVS in the stat you had predetermined before starting the round.  Depending on which level you're on, you can receive either 4, 8, or 12 EVs.  What's more, after each round you get a free punching bag for that same stat, which randomly gives you another 4, 8, or 12 EVs.  That's a potential total of 24 EVs just for playing one round of a kind of awkwardly handled mini-game.  In this way its not that hard at all to completely EV train a Pokemon just standing on the same tile without having to spend a single dollar.  I personally find it kind of redundant and the controls aren't that great, but it is convenient in a pinch.  Not to mention, if it can save money for all those clothes I want to buy, I'm all for it!  Hm, it would be nice to switch Pokeballs around, but then again each Pokemon and their Pokeball has a story behind it.  Even if Dugtrio looks hideous in that Timer Ball, there are memories that go along with it, right?  Actually, on the line of shinies, I was messing around with Wonder Trade today and landed myself a really awesome shiny Flabebe.  It's holding a yellow flower and doesn't look very different from its normal coloration, but it'll look better as a shiny Florges.  I don't really like Florges's design, but I think it'll grow on me.  It's Bold natured, which is nice too.  I might treat my Y version a bit more special now.  But I probably won't get around to EV training it, not even Super Training it, until after the main plot.  I've played the ORAS demo, and it looks great.  It's a lot smoother, mainly because you're not forced to choose between free-form skates and running on tiles like in X and Y.  I never liked the skates much because I always bumped into things, but whenever I ran with the D-pad, my character was forced to follow the grid which can be convenient at times but doesn't look at all that smooth.  In ORAS, using the circle pad allows you to run, not skate, with free-form motion while the D-pad is running with the grid.  It feels a lot better, and I'm really grateful for it.  If you've ever played the GameCube games, Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, it feels just like those motion controls now.

Well, the most efficient way to use Super Training is to participate in the Super Training regimen.  You have your Pokemon stand on a plane and throw soccer balls at an inflatable balloon with baskets on it.  Each time you score enough points you complete a round and get a set number of EVS in the stat you had predetermined before starting the round.  Depending on which level you're on, you can receive either 4, 8, or 12 EVs.  What's more, after each round you get a free punching bag for that same stat, which randomly gives you another 4, 8, or 12 EVs.  That's a potential total of 24 EVs just for playing one round of a kind of awkwardly handled mini-game.  In this way its not that hard at all to completely EV train a Pokemon just standing on the same tile without having to spend a single dollar.  I personally find it kind of redundant and the controls aren't that great, but it is convenient in a pinch.  Not to mention, if it can save money for all those clothes I want to buy, I'm all for it!  Hm, it would be nice to switch Pokeballs around, but then again each Pokemon and their Pokeball has a story behind it.  Even if Dugtrio looks hideous in that Timer Ball, there are memories that go along with it, right?  Actually, on the line of shinies, I was messing around with Wonder Trade today and landed myself a really awesome shiny Flabebe.  It's holding a yellow flower and doesn't look very different from its normal coloration, but it'll look better as a shiny Florges.  I don't really like Florges's design, but I think it'll grow on me.  It's Bold natured, which is nice too.  I might treat my Y version a bit more special now.  But I probably won't get around to EV training it, not even Super Training it, until after the main plot.  I've played the ORAS demo, and it looks great.  It's a lot smoother, mainly because you're not forced to choose between free-form skates and running on tiles like in X and Y.  I never liked the skates much because I always bumped into things, but whenever I ran with the D-pad, my character was forced to follow the grid which can be convenient at times but doesn't look at all that smooth.  In ORAS, using the circle pad allows you to run, not skate, with free-form motion while the D-pad is running with the grid.  It feels a lot better, and I'm really grateful for it.  If you've ever played the GameCube games, Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, it feels just like those motion controls now.

Yeah! Trainer customization was a huge component that helped separate X/Y from the previous games. It's a shame they couldn't bring it back for ORAS. Funny thing is when I caught that Dugtrio, it wasn't as exciting as catching my shiny Fearow or Magikarp. It just happened to be there and I only caught it in a Timer Ball because I was too afraid that my level 80-something Staraptor would kill it if it attacked. The only thing that distinguishes shiny Dugtrio from a normal Dugtrio is its blue nose. I can't even take it seriously, lol. Florges always struck me as a Grass/Fairy rather than a pure Fairy--same with Xerneas. Florges' design is okay, but its figure looks too humanoid in my opinion. I also recently discovered that one of the Youtubers I follow uploaded gameplays of Omega Ruby already. This same person also got early access to the X/Y games last year, although I'm not sure why. I'm not complaining though, because I'm going to binge-watch the crap outta that once I'm finished typing this. so. much. hype.

I'm also a little sad that Mega Flygon or Milotic didn't make their debut. I think Megas like Audino, Steelix, and Glalie were a bit excessive. Some of the others I could understand because of their roles as plot devices.

Yeah! Trainer customization was a huge component that helped separate X/Y from the previous games. It's a shame they couldn't bring it back for ORAS. Funny thing is when I caught that Dugtrio, it wasn't as exciting as catching my shiny Fearow or Magikarp. It just happened to be there and I only caught it in a Timer Ball because I was too afraid that my level 80-something Staraptor would kill it if it attacked. The only thing that distinguishes shiny Dugtrio from a normal Dugtrio is its blue nose. I can't even take it seriously, lol. Florges always struck me as a Grass/Fairy rather than a pure Fairy--same with Xerneas. Florges' design is okay, but its figure looks too humanoid in my opinion. I also recently discovered that one of the Youtubers I follow uploaded gameplays of Omega Ruby already. This same person also got early access to the X/Y games last year, although I'm not sure why. I'm not complaining though, because I'm going to binge-watch the crap outta that once I'm finished typing this. so. much. hype.

I'm also a little sad that Mega Flygon or Milotic didn't make their debut. I think Megas like Audino, Steelix, and Glalie were a bit excessive. Some of the others I could understand because of their roles as plot devices.

Dugtrio isn't exactly one of my favorite Pokemon either, so I can understand how you feel.  Its shiny form isn't all that good.  And I've actually changed my mind and decided to EV train the shiny Flabebe.  It shouldn't take too long with Super Training, and when it's fully EV trained I'll stick it in my party and use it as a motivator to not stop playing Y, haha.  Since I'll be getting a lot of new games in the coming weeks and months, I don't want Y to be forgotten.  Florges as a Grass/Fairy would make more sense, but I guess the flower isn't exactly park of the Pokemon, kind of like how Spiritomb is always shown coming out of the Odd Keystone but it's not Ghost/Rock or Dark/Rock.  I wish I could keep it as a Floette, because she has a really cute design.  Maybe that YouTuber got some kind of "advance copy" of the game?

I'm only guessing we got a Mega Audino because we needed some 5th generation Megas.  They could have picked something better, like a Mega Druddigon or something.  I'm definitely not going to use it, that's for sure.  I would have loved to see a Mega Milotic and Flygon!  I like Milotic's design and it would be interesting to see how they handle an even more beautiful Pokemon.  And I've used Flygon enough in my Sapphire runthroughs to want a Mega.  Well, when I run through the game I'm most likely going to use my Mega starter, so I don't think there'd be much time to experiment with others until post game anyway.  Heck, I may end up being so greedy I just stick an Amulet Coin on my lead Pokemon and just roll in the cash, avoiding Megas completely.

Dugtrio isn't exactly one of my favorite Pokemon either, so I can understand how you feel.  Its shiny form isn't all that good.  And I've actually changed my mind and decided to EV train the shiny Flabebe.  It shouldn't take too long with Super Training, and when it's fully EV trained I'll stick it in my party and use it as a motivator to not stop playing Y, haha.  Since I'll be getting a lot of new games in the coming weeks and months, I don't want Y to be forgotten.  Florges as a Grass/Fairy would make more sense, but I guess the flower isn't exactly park of the Pokemon, kind of like how Spiritomb is always shown coming out of the Odd Keystone but it's not Ghost/Rock or Dark/Rock.  I wish I could keep it as a Floette, because she has a really cute design.  Maybe that YouTuber got some kind of "advance copy" of the game?

I'm only guessing we got a Mega Audino because we needed some 5th generation Megas.  They could have picked something better, like a Mega Druddigon or something.  I'm definitely not going to use it, that's for sure.  I would have loved to see a Mega Milotic and Flygon!  I like Milotic's design and it would be interesting to see how they handle an even more beautiful Pokemon.  And I've used Flygon enough in my Sapphire runthroughs to want a Mega.  Well, when I run through the game I'm most likely going to use my Mega starter, so I don't think there'd be much time to experiment with others until post game anyway.  Heck, I may end up being so greedy I just stick an Amulet Coin on my lead Pokemon and just roll in the cash, avoiding Megas completely.

I feel like X/Y are definitely going to be drowned out in the ORAS hype. It's awesome that you're still sticking with it! The plant-like figure of Florges really gives the impression that it's Grass/Fairy. Spiritomb's rock is easily forgettable (or at least for me) so I don't mind the Ghost/Dark typing. Speaking of which, a lot of Pokemon have unfitting typings. Darkrai should be a Ghost/Dark and Gyarados should be a Dragon/Water. Charizard also should have also gotten a Dragon typing, but that was fixed with the introduction of Megas. I'm also a huge fan of Floette's Eternal Flower form--especially the shiny (the coloration works really well). I'm not sure how these people get early copies of the game, because others have also gotten it. Probably for promotional purposes?

I always thought that the purpose of Megas was to boost them into higher tiers (or make them used more often). Mega Audino is something that I would probably never use, and Mega Altaria's main purpose is to win contests. They better end up creating a Mega Flygon and Milotic or there's going to be a lot of crazed fans. Geezus, the looks on their faces after realizing that Mega Flygon wasn't happening for ORAS. There are "leaked" images of Mega Flygon everywhere now. I've always wanted to do a solo run, but I'd also feel vulnerable since I'd only have one Pokemon in my party, haha.

Also, did you see what IGN rated ORAS?

b45.png