Detective Conan World
RoseMarie

You Think Your a Man Chapter 5b

Author’s Note: Please, please, please don’t kill us! Look, we have a shiny new chapter just for you! We’re very sorry it took so long (blame Giggle Twin 2). As a result of the long wait we’ve decided to post the second half of chapter 5 as its own separate chapter. Chapter 6 is well underway and should be along shortly (and yes, we know, we’ve said that before).

We’d like to take this opportunity to once again thank all of our readers (and especially our reviewers!). We’re so glad you’re enjoying the story. We would be nothing without you.

Also, just a little side note. The name we gave to Shinichi in this chapter, “Hideki”, means “Splendid Opportunity”. Oh and for those of you who are just now joining us here are the links to the other Five Chapters. You can also find us on ff.net.

You Think Your a Man Chapter 1

You Think Your a Man Chapter 2

You Think Your a Man Chapter 3

You Think Your a Man Chapter 4

You Think Your a Man Chapter 5a

Chapter 5b: Houston, We Have a Plan

“I cannot believe I let you talk me into this,” Shinichi grumbled as he and KID made their way to the Mouri Detective Agency. The look KID shot him would have been rather more intimidating if it didn’t come from waist height. “Like you had a better idea? I’m not letting you run around in my life.”

“Well, you’re not running around in mine!”

“See? That’s why I was able to talk you into this,” KID returned with a grin. Oi oi, Shinichi thought. That it was true did not make it any less irritating. The nearly deserted streets meant that no one was there to hear them arguing, a fact which KID was unfortunately taking full advantage of. “I must say, Tantei-kun, I’m very touched that you risked getting into trouble with the lovely Mouri-san to come and watch my performance.”

“Don’t flatter yourself, KID. I would never let you or any other criminal get away with something just because ‘Conan’ was grounded. At any rate, we’re here so you’d best…” The rest of Shinichi’s warning was cut off as KID, having picked the lock on the door before Shinichi was aware of what he was doing, stepped through it. Ran’s furious voice nearly sent the detective back down the steps and he instinctively flattened himself against the wall outside.

“Where have you been? How dare you sneak out! Do you have any idea what time it is? It’s four o’clock in the morning! I’ve been going out of my mind with worry!” Ran seemed to be working herself into quite a state and Shinichi found himself more than a little grateful that her ire was directed at KID and not at him. That’s when a small hand reached back through the doorway and yanked him inside.

Kaito allowed himself a small grin as Mouri-san’s tirade ceased abruptly, gaze riveted on the newcomer in the doorway. I did a good job with him, even if I do say so myself. The detective looked nothing like either himself or Kuroba Kaito, appearing instead to be a man in his mid-thirties. His brown hair and goatee were neatly trimmed and styled, and despite a somewhat pudgy build he had an air of dignity about him. The disguised detective offered Mouri-san a polite bow.

“Forgive me, Mouri-san, for coming at such a late hour. I’m Edogawa Hideki. It’s a pleasure to meet you at last.” Kaito had to give Mouri-san credit, she recovered herself quickly and returned the bow.

“You would be Conan-kun’s father then? Forgive me, please, for my rude display.”

“I’m the one who should be asking for your forgiveness, Mouri-san. I had not intended to cause you worry. It’s just that I had some rather upsetting news for Conan-kun and thought perhaps the heist would help cheer him back up.”

“I’m so sorry to hear that. Please, come in. Can I get you some tea?” The three of them moved into the interior of the apartment, Shinichi turning down Mouri-san’s offer with a polite shake of his head. “Thank you, Mouri-san, but I’m afraid not. You see my wife is very ill and has been hospitalized back in the States. I’ve come to bring Conan back with me until she gets better. Our flight leaves in just a couple of hours.”

Kaito found himself feeling rather sorry for Mouri-san as she looked stricken at the news. “Oh! I’m so sorry to hear about Fumiyo-san. I hope she’ll be all right. Will…” her voice trailed off for a moment before she gathered herself together to finish her thought. “Will Conan-kun be staying with you once she is better?”

Shinichi was quick to shake his head, sounding both apologetic and reassuring as he replied, “No my dear, we are still both so busy and you’ve been doing such a wonderful job of looking after him. As soon as my wife is better we’ll be returning Conan-kun to your care.” Mouri-san looked incredibly relieved at this, though she did an admirable job of attempting to conceal it. “Thank you, Edogawa-san. If you will excuse me for a moment, I will help Conan-kun get packed.”

“Did you get everything I asked you to?”

Kaito threw an annoyed glance at the detective walking beside him. “Give me some credit, Tantei-kun. Of course I did.” He glanced at his watch as they rounded the final corner leading to Agasa-hakase’s. “It’s only a quarter to five, are you sure they’ll be up?”

Shinichi nodded, stifling a yawn as he did so. “They’re both early risers as it is and Haibara is very particular about Agasa developing healthy habits. She should have him up for a morning jog by the time we get there.” Kaito fell silent again, thoughts whirling furiously through his mind as he tried to plan his next moves. At length he spoke again. “Now this Haibara girl knows the truth about you?”

“Yes, she does. Which is why no disguise will work. I hate the idea of sending you in there as me but I can’t see any way around it.”

“Any ideas where we can go once you’re completely free of your keepers?” The annoyed look the detective threw at him for the comment was well worth any trouble that came of it. “Unfortunately, I don’t. We’ve agreed we can’t stay in Tokyo, there’s too much risk involved. We can’t go to Osaka for the same reasons. Too many people there might recognize Conan and we can’t run the risk of Hattori getting involved. Maybe Agasa-hakase will have an idea.” They stopped in front of the Kudo mansion, Shinichi unlatching the gate as he spoke. “I should be done packing by the time you’re finished next door.” The detective turned to walk up the path, leaving Kaito standing on the sidewalk. Kaito allowed him to take a few steps before bringing his wrist up, the crosshairs of the watch aimed squarely at the back of Shinichi’s neck. Sorry, Tantei-kun. I don’t trust you alone with my face yet. You might get too curious.

Two minutes later Kaito was leaning against the front of the Kudo mansion as he attempted to catch his breath. Yeesh, who knew I was that heavy? I’d best hurry, Tantei-kun is not going to be happy when he wakes up. He jogged back down the path, carefully closing the gate behind him.

The small girl currently staring him down was far more intimidating than many of the opponents he had faced since taking up his father’s mantle, Kaito reflected wryly. He gave her a small smile, wracking his memory for as many of Shinichi’s mannerisms as he could recall. Feels like she’s staring right through me. It’s creepy. “Look, I’m sorry to bother you this early in the morning, but it is important. It’s for a case.”

Agasa’s laughing voice came from behind him as the professor reappeared in the room with a tray full of coffee mugs. “Are you sure you’re not just trying to avoid trouble with Ran-chan after staying out at the heist all night?” Conan laughed sheepishly, rubbing the back of his head. “Ehh, Ran was pretty mad at me, but I’ve already taken care of it. I had the client pose as Conan’s father. The point is that I need to focus on this case and I can’t solve it here in Tokyo. I need to leave for awhile.”

Haibara cocked her head, “And just who is this client, Kudo-kun?” And here’s where things get tricky.“Out of respect for my client I can’t reveal his identity but I promise you it’s safe. I wouldn’t be asking you for help if it wasn’t. I just wanted to let you know what was going on and ask you if you had any ideas where we could go to work on this in peace for awhile. It may take a month or so.”

Haibara still looked skeptical but Agasa seemed to be considering the request. “Well…ah! I have it! Shinichi-kun, do you remember that cabin I have outside of Tsuru Village? I haven’t been there in awhile but it ought to be in decent condition.”

“Thank you, hakase, that will be perfect!”

Agasa nodded. “Give me a moment, I’ll get you the key. Just, please, be careful, Shinichi.” He waited for Conan’s nod of agreement before setting his coffee mug down and departing. No sooner was he out of earshot then Haibara fixed Conan with a piercing look. “Does this have anything to do with Them, Kudo-kun?” Them? What is that supposed to mean? Conan shook his head. “I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. You really don’t have to worry.” Haibara nodded sharply, accepting this reassurance for the moment, though Kaito could still see doubts lingering in her eyes. Agasa returned then, handing Conan a key and a few written directions, admonishing him once again to be careful. A few more reassurances on Conan’s part and he was back outside, jogging back to check on the (hopefully) still unconscious detective.

Reassured that Shinichi would not recover consciousness for several minutes yet, Kaito put the next step of his plan into motion. On the walk over he had noted the closest pay phone, now he headed for it at as rapid a pace as he dared. The number he dialed was one he knew well and he suspected the person on the other end would be anxiously awaiting his call. This suspicion proved correct when the phone was snatched up on the first ring.

“Moshi moshi, Jii.”

“Young Master! Are you alright? What happened?” Doing his best to manipulate vocal chords unused to different ranges, Kaito responded in as close to his normal voice as he could muster. “I’m sorry, Jii. Things didn’t go exactly as planned tonight. I’m fine but I need to stay out of sight for awhile. Please make my excuses to Kaasan and keep an eye on her for me. I’ll be in contact with you as soon as I can.”

“But, Young Master! What happened? You don’t sound like your usual self.”

“I’m sorry, Jii, I can’t explain right now. I’ll be in touch.” Kaito hung up, stretching almost as high as his current body could reach to replace the phone in its cradle. Gah! How does Tantei-kun deal with being this short all the time? Shaking his head to clear it of unnecessary thoughts, Kaito hurried back to the detective. My throat hurts. Gonna have to do some vocal exercises.

Miles away Jii slowly lowered his cell phone, a troubled expression on his face. What in the world have you gotten yourself into now? After a few moments hesitation he raised the phone once more, pressing in a quick sequence of numbers. The phone was answered after only a couple of rings by a sleepy sounding Kuroba Chikage, no doubt just arriving home from her shift. “Chikage, listen to me. Kaito’s fine but we are going to have to pull a Toichi.” This statement was followed by a startled silence before her voice answered him, firm and unwavering. “I’ll set something up. Tell him to be careful.”

Shinichi groaned, eyes fluttering open. A small face hovered over his own. “ Oh good, you’re awake! Sorry about that, it was an accident. I’ve made good use of the time, though. We’re staying at Agasa’s cabin. Let’s get you packed and catch our train

That's all for Now. ^_^ Reviews are always nice.