Detective Conan World
CarpetCrawler

Favorite Characters?

The fact that the official Japanese poll separates Conan and Shinichi just drives me nuts.

I agree, separating them doesn't make sense. But I remember talking to fans who can't stand Shinichi in his original form because he is more a jerk and arrogant when adult, but Conan is considered cute when he is little and has to pretend childish behavior. I partially agree with them, but still wouldn't separate the 2 in the poll.

By the way, even though Ai is a character I respect, getting a TRIPLE of votes comparing to the following 2 is an exaggeration, imho. She is an interesting character, but not a universal masterpiece. Only Genta can claim that title :)

I agree, separating them doesn't make sense. But I remember talking to fans who can't stand Shinichi in his original form because he is more a jerk and arrogant when adult, but Conan is considered cute when he is little and has to pretend childish behavior. I partially agree with them, but still wouldn't separate the 2 in the poll.

(ಠ____ಠ) Sorry, but I still don't see it. Conan is Shinichi, so I'm guessing they're going by appearance...? That's the only way I can imagine that happening.

She is an interesting character, but not a universal masterpiece. Only Genta can claim that title :)

Haha xD

There are also disagreements between whether Ai would better return adult at the end or stay as a child. Both possibilities have potentials, but I am already used to her character in the child form, would have preferred if she stayed little and lived a new life, happy this time (of course only in case that is consensual on her part, not forced). On the other hand, people say this would be like living a lie and fleeing from real life. I personally agree there can be interesting new plots involving her as an adult and working with law enforcement on serious cases, but I personally don't think that fleeing from the previous life would be that wrong. After all, her life wasn't exactly happy. If the boss turns out to be her father, like many fans suppose, it will be even worse for her. So I am torn between the 2 possibilities. Do you think it's better if she returns adult or stays a child?

• Upvote 1

The fact that the official Japanese poll separates Conan and Shinichi just drives me nuts.

I actually like Conan more than Shinichi.

Yeah, they are technically the same person.

But as Conan, he doesn't carry as much arrognce because he's in the position where he has to create a childlike facade--making it less likely for him to boss around everyone for the sake of his huge detective ego.

Think of "Conan" as a way of keeping the inner Shinichi in check.

There are also disagreements between whether Ai would better return adult at the end or stay as a child. Both possibilities have potentials, but I am already used to her character in the child form, would have preferred if she stayed little and lived a new life, happy this time (of course only in case that is consensual on her part, not forced). On the other hand, people say this would be like living a lie and fleeing from real life. I personally agree there can be interesting new plots involving her as an adult and working with law enforcement on serious cases, but I personally don't think that fleeing from the previous life would be that wrong. After all, her life wasn't exactly happy. If the boss turns out to be her father, like many fans suppose, it will be even worse for her. So I am torn between the 2 possibilities. Do you think it's better if she returns adult or stays a child?

I believe that Ai would want to stay as she is in her child form. I don't believe that she lived a happy life as Shiho Miyano, and she would want to start over as Ai Haibara if she could. She never had a childhood, and in a way, she gets to be a kid again as Ai Haibara. 

• Upvote 2

She's going to stay a child, IMO. I can't imagine the series ending like that. Gosho had said it would be a "happy" one, and in my mind, Haibara receiving the gift of being able to redo her child, with people she really loves this time around, will be the most gushy thing.

But as Conan, he doesn't carry as much arrognce because he's in the position where he has to create a childlike facade--making it less likely for him to boss around everyone for the sake of his huge detective ego.

(ಠ____ಠ) I'm remaining stubborn.

I agree but I don't get why some people like Shiho more then Ai

I like Shiho,I don't separate Shiho and Ai,they are the same person.Just in terms of looks,I prefer Shiho,(she's a pretty woman,and this is the real identity of Ai).It also reminds me she's an adult,with knowledge,past and experience.

So it's nice to remember that, when most of the times she stays with children,and acts like an innocent little girl.It's so boring to see her being reduced to a DB member,while she's much more than that.

Also I really hope she won't stay as a child,I already explained my reasons in another thread.I personally think it would be like running away again from her fate,and it would be too easy.I want her to have the courage to be Shiho again,facing her real life no matter what happens,assuming her responsibilities.

And a happy ending doesn't necessary mean she has to relive her childhood.It could be one of her relative is still alive(Elena...) or only her staying with Agasa and helping Kudo during his cases.

I think there are many possibility,but staying as a child would't be an evolution in terms of character development.

Then again,Gosho likes the easy way,so I won't be surprised if Ai decided to not take the antidote.

@Hobgoblin2012

I'm sorry that you don't appreciate Ai because of all the Coai/Shinran wars.I suggest you to stop reading all the pairing thread and read the manga(which is way better than the anime).Just focus on the characters and the story.Maybe you'll learn to appreciate Ai (or not,but at least you won't be biased)

I remember I started disliking Ran when I read pairings threads in various forums...Then I kinda lost interest on Coai (thanks to Gosho again) and I began to appreciate Ran more than before(she's not one of my favorite character but I do like her).Maybe it will be the same for you ^^

@alice25: you like Genta more than Shuichi Akai?seriously that's the first time I see that XDXD

Easily Conan, Jimmy and Rachel.

Conan is just the cutest darn thing I've ever laid eyes on. His extra strength Sonic the Hedgehog shoes rule! Carries everything I love about Jimmy minus the arrogance.

Jimmy reminds me a lot of myself. Beyond passionate about what he loves. Jerry Jewell's voice is just beyond phenomenal and fits Jimmy so well.

Rachel because she's an honestly caring person. What other 17 year old girl would be totally cool with being with a 7 year old everywhere she went? If I was Conan/Jimmy, I would know she is the girl for me because of how she is in "real" life behind closed doors of a relationship. Often times we put on a fake persona around our significant others to make them like us, but she's the real deal! Caring and loving! Plus she's willing to wait! It's been almost 10 years and she's still like "I'll wait for you, Jimmy." PSSSH!!! I'd tell that dude to kick rocks by year 2.