Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 1,039–File 1,042: Momiji's Challenge

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

1,039 spoilers are now out... in fact, all 16 pages of the file (albeit in very low resolution) are now out.

Spoiler

This case will feature Heiji, Kazuha, Momiji and Muga Iori.

Break next week—we can expect 1,040 spoilers at this time in two weeks.

UPDATE:

Here are text translations by Fujiwara and Anthony Lim:

Spoiler

p.1

Momiji: Iori...

Momiji: Can you let me hear it again, just to confirm?

Iori: Absolutely, Momiji-sama.

* Click *

Momiji: Are you serious? Heiji...

Heiji: Don't let me repeat it countless times, big idiot!!

Heiji: If, if such a thing truly exists...

p.2
Heiji: I'll listen to whatever you want.

File 1039: Momiji's Challenge Letter

Series Chapter 1

An elegant face, yet concealing some kind of conspiracy.

p.4

Ran: Dear Mōri Ran-sama, this is Ooka Momiji...

Ran: Please forgive me for writing you so suddenly...

Ran: I have a code that I would very much like for Kudō Shinichi, whom I met in Kyōto, to solve...

I shall forward images of the code...

Ran: A code?

SFX: beep

[Image: The treasure is here! (code) From your *foot*bowl loving mother]

[Image: The treasure is here! (code) From your foot*bow*l loving mother]

p.5

Ran: The recently deceased, long-standing housekeeper of a certain wealthy person...

Sent this code to her four sons just before her death...

I understand that she wanted to leave the terrific treasure she had received from her master during her lifetime...

Ran: It appears that she loved mysteries and so, in order for her sons to work together to reach the treasure...

Ran: She sent each of them on sheet of the code...

However, after the letters had been sent, all communication from the eldest son suddenly stopped...

Ran: Maybe the eldest son had already solved the code and encountered some kind of trouble in the location of the treasure?

Ran: That's what the three brothers inquired about at that wealthy person's house...

Ran: Which is why said wealthy person requested our Ooka household, with whom they are connected, solve the code...

Ran: From what I have heard, Kudō Shinichi is a famous high-school detective!

Ran: In truth, I wanted to write to him directly, but I do not have his contact details...

So I reached out to you, with whom I had exchanged contact details, instead...

Ran: I happen to be coming to Tokyo today...

Ran: So I shall tell you more at 4pm on the roof of the Haido Central Building...

Ran: Wait! That's only three hours from now!

Ran: I need to call Shinichi immediately!

Ran (thoughts): Ah, but...

Ran (thoughts): Talking to him directly might still be too embarrassing...

Ran (thoughts): Maybe I better send a message...

Ran (thoughts): I'll also have to forward the code...

p.6

Voice: Summer holidays start tomorrow!

Genta: We can play games at the professor's house non-stop!

Ayumi: Yes!

Mitsuhiko: Let's relish it!

Ayumi: You should play too, Conan-kun!

Conan: Ah, yeah...

Ai: It's all right!

He's currently absorbed in a different kind of game...

Ai: A game called code breaking...

Agasa: What's up with that code?

Conan: Ran sent me the code...

Conan: It seems that there's something more to it...

Agasa: And? Have you solved it?

Conan: No, I still have no idea...

p.8

Ran: No reply from Shinichi… even though I've got to leave for Haido Central Building very soon or I won't be on time… maybe i really should call...

Conan: I'm home–!

Ran: Welcome home!

Conan: Shinichi-niichan called me! he's busy so he can't go to Haido Central Building, so he said to go with Ran-neechan and listen to the explanation!

Conan: If we're leaving right away, I'll go put my bag upstairs and be right back!

Ran: Y–yeah…

Ran: Why not to me… but Conan-kun?

Ran: W–Well… maybe Shinichi is also embarrassed to call directly…

p.9

Conan: That tall building, right? Haido Central Building…

Ran: Yeah! but the rooftop of such a building, can regular people just go there?

Man: "Kudō Shinichi-sama's companion, Mōri Ran-sama, yes?"

Ran: Ah, yes…

Man: "Sorry to keep you waiting, please enter…"

p.16

Momiji: Everyone…apologies for the wait…

Momiji: I'm Ooka Momiji!

Heiji: Ya can skip the introductions, give us the details already!

Momiji: Even if i say details, it's only one extra line… it's written "from mother, the football fan" in the code, but…

Momiji: She's never seen "football"… that is to say, a soccer match… not even once, you know?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rosemary said:

Hide contents

I wonder why Momiji called both Heiji and Shinichi. Only one of them was enough to solve the code.

Spoiler

probably to give Heiji an incentive to compete in her planned bet on that if Shinichi wins, Heiji will marry Momiji (based on chinese spoilers).

I found the English translate "From your Real Madrid Fanatic Mother". But when I check the raw version, it is actually Football フットボ ウルAnd I think the most important part is the bold part like フットボ ウル in the first and second code; and フットボ ウル (bow) in the third code.

File 1,040 text spoilers are now out, courtesy of Sakaki and Baka:

Spoiler

"Basically Heiji and "Shinichi" solve the code at the same time, and Heiji can't have none of that.
So Iori suggests they go to the place indicated in the code Haido warehouse 4 and whomever can deduce what's going on there wins the contest.
That's where they find a murdered dude. 
Basically the chapter ends with them using the newly murdered dude as the next "contest".
Kazuha is asking what would have happened if they couldn't or did solve the code after she came all the way to Tokyo and Momiji is like "I dunno".
Momiji is pretty pissed that Shinichi didnt turned up and thinks that this handed a Heiji a massive advantage by being present.
They solve the code by hearing something about "addition and subtraction" from Momiji (in a forceful manner, so she probably figured it out beforehand)
There is no new code btw. And the sons are also there since they all got a message from their mom to show up. Obviously there is nothing plot related in this file as well."

EDIT:

1,040 spoiler pics now out, with translation courtesy of Murakami, and the following link provided by Baka:

https://imgur.com/a/BMRlP6B

No break next week—we can expect 1,041 spoilers at this time next week.

UPDATE:

Here's a 1,040 text summary, courtesy of Murakami:

Spoiler

FILE 1040: From your footbowl loving mother (aka From your Real Madrid loving mother)

Momiji asks herself if Heiji, who knows that Shinichi won't be able to come to that place, isn't too advantaged.

Conan is connected [to Shinichi] through phone, and so follows them, with Ran being dissatisfied, asking why he contacted Conan and not her.

The sons of the housekeeper were adopted when their father died due to an illness, but never met for 30 years.

Only the eldest son and the housekeeper seemed to be in contact with them, through email.

Kazuha is worried that guys who could have heard speaking of treasure could have come and stole it, pretending to be one of the brothers.

According to Momiji, though, it's not a problem, because on the palm of the hands of the four brothers there is a burn trace, which hit their mother [and presumably was inherited by the sons].

Kazuha, seeing that Conan and Heiji found the place where the treasure is at almost the same moment, asks if they can't go on as if it were a tie.

Iori answers that if Shinichi sent the answer to Conan, then Shinichi solved it faster than Heiji.

Conan, who doesn't want his identity to be exposed by Heiji, covers up by saying that he was surprised by the loud voice and simply parroted what was being said, and thus it was basically at the same time.

So, following Iori's proposal, the person who will be able to shed light on the truth and on the reason of loosing touch with the elder brother will win.

Entering the place where the treasure is, the 4th warehouse of the Haido Harbor, they find the corpse of a man and three other shocked men nearby.

Apparently, the elder brother has died, and the other 3 people are the brothers.

Conan and Heiji understand that none of the brothers has touched the corpse, although it seems like an accident or a suicide.

With a closer inspection, though, they notice at once that it's a murder, caused by one of the three brothers.

Ran and Kazuha think that it isn't a game anymore.

On the other hand, Momiji says that the one who grasps the truth of the case first wins.

• Upvote 1

I don't remember seeing this explained but... what's "Happa"?  Why is Kazuha called that? Since I don't watch the movies, if it's something from the movie context, I don't get it :( 

On 8/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Kitahata said:

I don't remember seeing this explained but... what's "Happa"?  Why is Kazuha called that? Since I don't watch the movies, if it's something from the movie context, I don't get it :(

It is, indeed, movie context—from Movie 21, specifically (though if you're fluent in Japanese, you likely won't need to watch Movie 21 to get why Momiji calls Kazuha that).

UPDATE:

1,041 spoiler pics are now out:

https://imgur.com/a/4Gvaktk

Spoiler

Page 1

FILE 1041: Brothers [meeting] for the first time after 30 years

[Before the gaze of the detectives' "eyes" ..."eye"glasses?]

[T/N: Wordplay exploiting the fact that both of the words 'gaze' and 'eyeglasses' contain the 'EYEBALL' kanji.]

Page 15

H: And in a lovely spot...

H: I'll confess to Kazuha!

K: What's he doin'...?

K: I've kinda got nothin' but a bad feeling 'bout this...

*hohooow!*

> Speaking of crabs, didn't Big Brother use to send crab-flavored rice crackers? He said he recommended them...

< Then there's no way he could come to dislike them, I guess...

C: Rice crackers...

[M: What's wrong, Genta-kun?

A: Is it itchy?

G: Yep! G: It suddenly started when I ate these rice crackers...

A: It's a normal shrimp-flavored rice cracker, though...

H: Does it itch when you touch shrimps or crab? G: Yeah...

H: Then, since we can suspect you have a shellfish allergy, Kojima-kun...

H: You mustn't eat any more of those rice crackers!]

Page 16

C: An allergy!

C: I see, so that's how it is...

C: So the culprit...

C: ...couldn't avoid doing that...

C: And apparently, it seems that Hattori...

C: ...hasn't solved it yet...

C: Ran, too...

C: Seems to be rootin'...

C: ...for me...

C: I'll reach the resolution of this case...

C: ...before Hattori!

[What will happen -- competition - truth - confessing... In the next issue, case resolution!]

UPDATE (8/30):

A (very blurry) spoiler pic from 1,042 is now out.

Spoiler

It's the last page of the file—it shows Heiji referring to Shūkichi, leading to Shinichi/Conan thinking about the Akai family and the Kōji Haneda case from 17 years ago.

UPDATE (9/1):

Courtesy of Manaphy's translation, here are the 1,042 text spoilers:

Spoiler

File 1042. The fifth brother

Conan suddenly requests an eyesight test from the three brothers using his smartphone. Only the fourth brother gets it wrong.

Conan points at the fourth brother and says "The culprit is you".

The fourth son's current glasses are actually the eldest son's, that's why the correction doesn't match.

Conan pressures the fourth son by asking whether his glasses were broken during a scuffle.

The fourth son argues that they could be the eldest son's glasses from the very beginning, or that he might not have worn any glasses at all.

"All four brothers have metal allergy.

The eldest son's became more serious along the years.

He couldn't even stand the choconuts which contain nickel, nor leather products manufactured with metal, nor even cans.

The real brother wouldn't wear a metal frame. That's why the eldest son shouldn't be wearing it.

When the second son came at once, he exchanged them with the eldest son's.

The eldest son normally doesn't wear glasses, but when he called and kill ed him, he showed him something in order to distract him.

That's why the eldest son was wearing glasses", explained Conan.

However, the fourth man argues and asks how does he know that the others have metal allergy ?

As the brothers take the glasses worn by the eldest son and wear them one by one, the second and third sons turn red before everyone.

The fourth son does not turn red.

Conan says "The first thing I found strange was what you said about the lamb meat.

What was strange was that you four brothers were poor, yet you didn't talk about mutton, but about high-grade lamb.

Also, the scars of the wound on your palm can't be the same scar on the fourth son's small hands who was 6 years old at that time, compared to the second son or third son.

In addition, it's ordinary for a Genghis Khan pot to steam.

Even though you finished eating, it's not 'piping hot'.*

This is a Keloid caused by metal allergy.

The 'Long and heavy'* the third son mentioned also is a symptom of metal allergy."

* Both those lines are said in 1041.

The fourth son gives up there.

The crime motive was that he was worried about money due to gambling, however he picked up by chance the eldest son's smartphone and saw "treasure" written on it, so he came up with a plan to pretend to be the eldest son and get the treasure.

He pretended to be the eldest son and e-mailed the other brothers.

However he realized the first man who came was the eldest son.

In front of the true eldest son, he pretended to be the fourth son, but when he saw the scar on the palm, he got exposed as an impostor.

He didn't intend to kill him, but when he was questioned and tried to escape, they scuffled with each other and the eldest brother fell down.

Afterwards, the real fourth son arrives late.

The fake fourth son is arrested and taken.

Momiji rejoices that Hattori has lost.

But Iori says "One mystery remains.

What is the thing left by the master ?"

Hattori replies "That's you, ain't it ?

Iori, ya're 30 years old.

Ya were in the housekeeper's belly when they were adopted.

My first uncomfortable feeling was when ya had had ready a means of transportation to the port.

Ya, as a brother, knew about the code too, right ?

Also, yar eyebrows are the same as theirs.

The thing ya received from the master was that ya were raised by the master's money. "

Iori says "Well done.".

He explains "My playful mother introduced me because she was so eager to notify about her youngest child.

The outcome is a draw."

Kazuha is depressed she missed her chance.

The same way, Hattori is depressed he missed his chance.

UPDATE (9/3)

Apparently, the text spoilers above are fake/incorrect.

Courtesy of Spimer's translation, here is a translation of the actual 1,042 text spoilers:

Spoiler

the treasure is the Genghis Khan grill found in the scene
Because the mother wanted them to remember when the brothers are it together
Also, the culprit is not a random someone but was buds with one of the brothers, part of a college music band
Apparently they look alike physically
As for his burn, seems to be because of some oil he used instead of sunscreen and thus got sunburn.
About Haneda, Heiji says it's not publicly known but the housekeeper worked for his family. Conan then learns Kouji was a Scion from a rich family

Will update again once the 1,042 spoiler pics come out and settle this confusion.

UPDATE (9/3)
All 16 pages of 1,042 are now out.

The text spoilers translated by Spimer are confirmed to be correct.

11 week break to come—we can expect 1,043 spoilers around November 22nd.