Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Unresolved plots in Detective Conan!

Discuss unresolved parts of past and current plots here, although please consider typing in-depth discussion in the relevant topical thread if possible, or creating a separate thread if necessary.

For your convenience here is a list of many of the unresolved plots. Please suggest any additions or links to threads where a plot is being discussed.(I did not come up with all of these. Please see original post here.)

Items and things

What is in the P.S. of Akemi's last text message to Akai?

• What (besides drug data) is on the bloody disk that Haibara lied about losing at the Haido City Hotel?

What was the program about that Itakura couldn't complete for the sake of humanity?

What is the goal of the APTX 4869 project?

• What kind of drug is Silver Bullet? Is Silver Bullet a different/early name for the project called APTX 4869?

• What kind of drug did the Black Organization really want Shiho to make and how is it different than what she and her parents' actually made?

Night Baron Virus - the Org used it once and it was in another case. What does it signify and is their more plot relevance to it?

• What happened to the handkerchief that Vermouth as Sharon gave Ran in the New York case?

• What else is on the four tapes left for Haibara by her parents? Why were certain portions blank?

• Why were the BO at the mermaid island and are any of the names in the guestbook besides Sherry's, Gin's alias, and Vodka's alias important? (Some discussion is in the main boss thread)

Plot people

Vermouth's aging issue, her connection to the Miyanos, and APTX4869

What is the reason for the antipathy between Sherry and Vermouth? Why does Vermouth hate the Miyanos?

Why is Vermouth the boss's favorite when she is somewhat treacherous?

• What secret does Amuro know about the boss and Vermouth's relationship that he is using to blackmail her? (File 898)

• "Silver bullets": What is Vermouth plotting by collecting people with the capability to destroy the Organization?

• What is Vermouth's precise reason for hiding Shinichi and Shiho's deaging from the rest of the Organization? Is it something more than Shinichi is one of Vermouth's two angels, along with Ran?

• Where was Vermouth telephoning Itakura from that had a cat or something that sounds like one?

• Why did Vermouth as Sharon and Itakura have a bad relationship? (Volume 78.)

• Jodie’s father - how did he find out about Vermouth and what did he find that forced Vermouth to take direct action, kill him, and burn his house down with all the evidence inside?

• The husband of Vermouth as Sharon Vineyard - who is he?

• Elena and Atsushi Miyano: their lives, their supposed death by accident that they seemed to know about in advance, their connection with Agasa

• What secret thing did Miyano Atsushi want to tell Dejima Souhei, but was unable to, when he came to visit with his wife and Akemi 20 years ago?

Shiho and Akemi: why their different fates within the org? One became a high ranked member, the other lived a more normal life.

• Why does the boss fear Akai is a silver bullet?

• Gin and Akai: how did the personal rivalry start when they probably hadn't met each other much if at all before Akai was ejected from the Org?

• If Jodie Starling went into the witness protection program, does that mean Jodie Starling is not her real name? If so what is it?

• Amuro's past with Date

• Amuro's past in the Organization and childhood connection to Elena Miyano

• Who was the mysterious man who staked out Akai's meeting with Gin that Camel ruined?

What is the connection between Gin and Sherry?

• What was Conan going to ask Ai after the showdown with Gin? "Hey… Could it be that when you were in the BO…". (Volume 24, File 242)

• Shiho's foreshadowed meeting with Akai

• Okiya's/Akai's promise with a certain woman. (Probably Akemi)

People

• Agasa's mysterious friends/connections - to the Miyanos and to unknown parties.

Magic Kaito's Organization related to the Black Organization? How much of Magic Kaito's Pandora story will carry over to DC?

• Toichi, Vermouth, and Yukiko - how did that master-apprenticeship start?

• Kogoro's absent past and relatives. What was he doing (besides romancing Eri), why did he decide to join the police in the first place when he seemed like a delinquent at school, why did he leave the force, who and where are Kogoro's family, and why do they never appear?

• Calvados: was he important for anything other than making Chianti and Korn angry at Vermouth?

• James Black: Does he have more relevance or a past?

• Shizuka and Heizo Hattori: what are they doing, how are they connected to the story and why don't they come back?

• What is the relationship to the plot, if any, of minor recurring characters such as Okino Yoko, Sanada Kazumi, Azusa Enemoto, Akagi Hide, Osamu Kenzaki, etc...?

• How did Akai Shuuichi's father die?

General issues (please see relevant threads)

Boss's identity

Purpose of the Org and their research: Biochem, computer agenda?

• What's the Org's connection with America? Why did the FBI and CIA get involved in the first place?

List of plot points about the Black Organization

Specific "current" issues

• Ran wondering about when Shinichi touched and got fingerprints on Heiji's omamori and the effect on the plot. (Volume 66: Files 8-10 (693-695))

Sera Masumi's identity and reason for coming to Japan (Partially resolved Masumi is Akai's sister)

Sera's past connection to Shinichi. (general thread)

• Why does Sera think she is a bad kid while watching Ran treat Conan's injury?

• What is the incident involving waves that Ran remembers Sera from?

The identity of Masumi's "Wizard" (general thread)

The identity of the Akai family middle brother

• Why is Mary, Masumi and Shuuichi's mother, a child and how did that circumstance come about? Why is she in Japan now?

Who is Rum?

• Why did Kir send a message about Rum only now?

• What is Rum's current goal?

• Why are there many conflicting accounts about Rum's appearance, but everyone agrees about the fake eye?

• Who the 2 mothers that Aoyama has said are sisters in an interview?

• Who keeps reposting the information about Haneda Kohji's death?

• How did Haneda Kohji find out information about Rum, and what were the circumstances that led up to his death?

• What is the drug that Ai said the BO wanted her to make that wasn't her parents' APTX 4869 project?

• Who is Wakasa Rumi and what are her motives?

• What is Hyoue Kuroda's past with the Japanese police and injury, and from whom did he learn that Conan is the brains behind Sleeping Kogoro?

• Who is Momiji Ooka and why does she think Heiji is her future husband?

Resolved

• What was Elena about to say on the tape intended to be heard on Shiho's 18th Birthday? (Resolved 821 see wiki for APTX or Elena Miyano)

• Yukiko and Yusaku Kudo: what are they doing, how are they connected to the story and why don't they come back? (somewhat resolved with London arc and more resolved for Yukiko in the Bell tree express arc)

Okiya's identity (Resolved as Akai Shuuichi)

Scar Akai's identity (resolved in 822 as Vermouth (train) and Bourbon (Teito bank, Beika dept store, Mouri Detective agency)

• Will Kaitou Kid ever get involved in the plot? (Yes, in the train case although he doesn't know about the BO apparently. According to a postcard, Kaitou Kid won;t be involved in the final showdown.)

• Is the violent robbery syndicate whose headquarters and warehouse are in Tottori related to the Black Organization? (Volume 44: Files 4-6 (450-452)) (sort of resolved because an interview with Gosho indicated that the BO and Tottori don't have a connection)

• Haibara's strange reaction to Kurayoshi city (倉吉市), Tottori or perhaps Tottori in general (sort of resolved because an interview with Gosho indicated that the BO and Tottori don't have a connection)

• Who were the shadow people who Akai asked to follow Yukiko and the Detective boys? (Gosho said in an interview we can ignore them)

Why does Bourbon hate Akai? (Akai was related to secret police agent Scotch's death)

• Bourbon's promise with Vermouth (File 800 or so) - to not touch Ran or Conan no matter what happens.

• How or why did the Secret Police agent known as Scotch die, and how was Akai Shuuichi related to his death? - Suicide, which Bourbon thought was murder.

The identity of the small child from the hotel - Mary is Masumi and Shuuichi's mother

• Upvote 10

Feel like barging in and ask your opinion about

current manga

Sera's mother (Who in my opinion, may or may not be Akai's mother)

Who is She? Introduced character or not?

So, User 4869, are you saying that Sera could be Akai's half sister instead of just his sister? Hm... Possible.

Oh, weird crack theory here, but... if Sera was Haibara's half sister and Akai's half sister, that'd also make Akemi Haibara's half sister of a different parent to Sera 'cause Aoyama doesn't seem that into incest and Akai/Akemi would be a bit squicky if they were related. So, Haibara is from Atsushi and Elena, Akemi is from Atsushi and someone else and Sera is from Elena and Akai's dad! ...yeah, it's weird, but it's not exactly serious...

:lol:

...Wow. O.o;; I've noticed a few of these things, but... Wow. WAIT. :blink: :blink: :blink: GIN AND VERMOUTH WERE IN A RELATIONSHIP?? POSSIBLE LOVE TRIANGLE?? *gasp* I'm too overwhelmed... :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

...Wow. O.o;; I've noticed a few of these things, but... Wow. WAIT. :blink: :blink: :blink: GIN AND VERMOUTH WERE IN A RELATIONSHIP?? POSSIBLE LOVE TRIANGLE?? *gasp* I'm too overwhelmed... :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

this was long ago

dont understand how that happened

Does anything think the police (Megure, Takagi, Satou, Shiratori, etc) know anything about the Black Organization? They may not know the name, but maybe they know of some group that goes around doing crimes.

Also, do you think the police will play a major role when Conan does finally confront the Black Org. for the last time or do you think it will be just the CIA/FBI?

Balthazar you asked how I felt on all of the issues in a PM, but I decided to post my response here to kick start the discussion. All the links elaborate on my thoughts of the issues.

Items and things

• What is in the P.S. of Akemi's last text message to Akai?

• What was Elena about to say on the tape intended to be heard on Shiho's 18th Birthday? (see Elena and Atsushi section)

• What (besides drug data) is on the bloody disk that Haibara lied about losing at the Haido City Hotel?

The other disk Haibara accidentally sent to Hirota Masami had "the real names and addresses of some people who had joined the Organization before Haibara and even the name of the person who had invested in the drug research" (V19-1 pg16) I imagine the info she ripped from Pisco's computer had similar information, especially since the title screen for the APTX 4869 page seemed to have an overview. It was sensitive enough that Conan would probably be able to do some damage with it. My guess is Haibara withheld the info because she was afraid that Conan was going to rush in and get killed, and maybe because at that time early in her character development she was afraid of what Conan would think of her if he knew the truth of what she had been doing.

• What was the program about that Itakura couldn't complete for the sake of humanity?

Although I am not really confident with this, I believe that the computer research program is a project that is working towards the same goal as, but independent of, the APTX 4869 project. I have three main suspicions about what the Org is trying to do with the computer programming agenda.

One is to enhance the abilities of the mind through computer interfaces, basically to augment the brain with data stored on a computer. The problem here though is that this is a worthwhile goal, not something someone would not want to complete for the sake of humanity.

The second is to create a vast information and monitoring network. I got this idea from the Sherlock Holmes canon. "He [Moriarty] sits motionless, like a spider in the centre of its web, but that web has a thousand radiations, and he knows well every quiver of each of them". It would certainly help with crime, and would also fit the bill for being bad for humanity, but why would Itakura, a game programmer, be working on something like this to begin with, even if it was a personal project? Keep in mind Itakura's project likely wasn't secret.

The third theory is based on a recent suspicion that the Org's real goal is to be able to preserve one's mind eternally while maintaining mobility. One way to accomplish the goal would be to retard aging indefinitely - basically immortality which is what the biochem agenda is after IMO. Another way would to be able to create a perfect replica of the thought processes of a human on a computer, basically digitizing people. It is an AI based project, which fits for a game programmer, would require the smartest programmers known, and taken to a logical extreme becomes bad for humanity. However I also think it is also kind of "out there" for a theory.

So in conclusion, I don't know.

• Night Baron Virus - what else about it?

• Robbery syndicate whose headquarters and warehouse are in Tottori - plot or not?

Maybe they're related to the Org. On the pro side, Haibara reacts to Tottori, and a violent and murderous robbery syndicate matches some of what the Black Org does. On the con side, the police know about it and the police heads think it can be wrapped up in a few years. Maybe it's a small branch of the Org, or the Org funds a small third party to do dirty work for them while keeping their own hands off. Without more info, it wouldn't be wise to assume one way or the other.

Plot people

• Vermouth's aging issue, cause of aging issue, her connection to the Miyanos, and APTX4869

• Why is Vermouth the boss's favorite when she is somewhat treacherous? (Keep in mind it has been confirmed that she is or was in a sexual relationship with Gin)

Short answer, she doesn't age which means she is a project success, and she is really old, perhaps she even knew the boss before he/she started the Org and may one of the original -if not the first- members of the Org.

• Why Vermouth's apparent desire for the Org to be brought down?

Her view has changed as she has mentally "gotten older" and she has become more cynical. If Vermouth is as old as I suspect it would make sense if Miyanos based their APTX 4869 project 30 years ago off of her because of her aging condition. Vermouth has been through many experiences which may have changed her opinions of long life, such as changing her identity and faking her death which means cutting herself off from the people who knew her. Examples include her friendship with Yukiko and her apprenticeship with Toichi. It also means outliving many of her former friends. We also know she has been touched by her interactions with Conan and Shinichi at the New York case when they saved her life.

• Jodie’s father - how did he find out about Vermouth and what did he find that forced Vermouth to take direct action, kill him, and burn his house down with all the evidence inside?

My guess is that the info related to her pre-Sharon identity and non-aging.

• The husband of Vermouth as Sharon Vineyard - who is he?

Short answer, I dunno. He could have been another disguise of Vermouth, a Black Org member posing as married to Sharon, or a genuine real husband.

• Toichi, Vermouth, and Yukiko - how did that master-apprenticeship start?

No idea.

• Elena and Atsushi Miyano: their lives, their supposed death by accident, their connection with Agasa

• Shiho and Akemi: why their different fates within the org? One became a high ranked member, the other lived a more normal life.

Maybe one or both different parents?

• Gin and Akai: how did the personal rivalry start when they probably hadn't met each other much if at all before Akai was ejected from the Org?

I guess it started when they tried killing each other in the two years that followed Akai’s rejection.

• Why does Bourbon hate Akai?

There isn’t any evidence so one guess is pretty much as good as another, but I’m in the love triangle with Akemi and Akai camp. Failing that, Akai killed someone close to Bourbon.

• Who was the mysterious man who staked out Akai's meeting with Gin that Camel ruined?

I think it was Bourbon.

• Gin's relationship with Sherry

• CIA: Does it have anything else to do with the story besides Kir?

We haven't heard of any new CIA members wandering around nor have any CIA hints been dropped lately, so I don't think there will be any CIA stuff in the short term, but in the long term, who knows?

• Shiho's foreshadowed meeting with Akai

It's going to happen because Okiya is Akai, but I'm not sure how it will turn out. I guess it will happen just after the resolution of the Bourbon arc. Haibara will probably be angry with Akai, but she may be forgiving.

• Calvados: was he important for anything other than making Chianti and Korn angry at Vermouth?

Don't know

• James Black: Does he have more relevance or a past?

He isn't the boss. He may be important later when Jodie's father and what he had on Vermouth comes up. Also, we still don't know what his reasons are for taking charge of the FBI's Black Org mission. My suspicion was that he was friends with Jodie's dad, and his death prompted James to take his place.

• Haibara's strange reaction to Kurayoshi city (倉吉市), Tottori or perhaps Tottori in general

Maybe the boss is there? It isn't clear.

People

• Agasa's mysterious friends/connections - to the Miyanos and to unknown parties.

• Kaito Kid, plot relevant of not?

Probably not to the BO plot. Maybe Toichi has more, but likely not the current Kid.

• Yukiko and Yusaku Kudo: what are they doing, how are they connected to the story and why don't they come back? (somewhat resolved with London arc)

About the only thought I have on them is that Conan does seem to keep them updated with the info on what he knows and stuff. The London arc showed they know about Haibara. It was also strange why Haibara felt comfortable enough to or even knew how to contact them in the first place. Do Haibara and Yukiko have a friendship going on behind Conan's back?

• Shizuka and Heizo Hattori: what are they doing, how are they connected to the story and why don't they come back?

Not important?

• What is the relationship to the plot, if any, of minor recurring characters such as Okino Yoko, Sanada Kazumi, Azusa Enemoto, Akagi Hide, Osamu Kenzaki, etc...?

I don't harbor any particular plot suspicions about most of those guys beyond the people that I already talked about. I have addressed specific people for specific issues, like Yoko not being the boss. If anyone has questions about an individual character, ask.

• Who were the shadow people who Akai asked to follow Yukiko and the Detective boys?

Fusae Kinoshita and Billy

• Kogoro's absent past and relatives. What was he doing (besides romancing Eri), why did he decide to join the police in the first place when he seemed like a delinquent at school, why did he leave the force, and why does Gosho never bring up Kogoro's relatives?

General issues (please see relevant threads)

• Boss's identity

I think the boss is a new character who related to Kogoro's past or family in some way. It may have to do with why Kogoro joined the police force.

• Purpose of the Org and their research: Biochem, computer agenda?

Thoughts on the biochem agenda, Thoughts on the computer agenda.

• What's the Org's connection with America?

No idea. They obviously operated in the US in the past because Vermouth killed Jodie's dad 20 years ago, and the FBI and the CIA are on them which means US interests are involved. On the other hand, the boss is connected to Japan; for instance, Nanatsu no Ko is not well known outside Japan.

• Okiya's identity

• Scar Akai's identity

Specific current issues

• Ran wondering about when Shinichi touched and got fingerprints on Heiji's omamori and the effect on the plot.

This along with some current manga spoilers info will lead to a simultaneous clash with Bourbon and Ran's suspicion plot at the climax of the Bourbon arc.

Manga spoilers

• Upvote 2

^^ that may take a while, thx

edit: it would seem suspicious, that that man who stalked akais meeting, was burbon. Usually those members who stalk the area are not seen, just heard to report back. And he was close to him.

My guess is he spy'd on akemi for this to get his thoughts started. But did not want to tell, cause of his reasons (akemi)

otherwise why send an old man direct to him if he had his doubts, they dont want any one caught.

I think we should add The secret of the song "Nanatsu no ko" to the "Items and things" section. Did the boss just choose it randomly, or is there any hidden meaning behind the song ? Is it a coincidence or not that the song talks about crows, which the BO members seem to resemble ? Does that song have any connection with the plot other than leading towards some place in Tottori ?

• Upvote 1

well i think gin is 40+ but V is like 75 or something like that

yea... approx. 7/20 of a century.....

BTW, why don't we make our own threads of some of these unresloved plots topics so that we can discuss it here and not in DCTP.

isn't this that

and i think these that chek listed are enough

i dont know any

I mean... some of what Chek listed do not hv topics....or that their topics are in DCTP

aha

its ok, would prefer that as well

instead of all in 1

yea... different members might want to talk about different things.... but let's wait in order to get the opinions of Chek or the other moderators...

yea... approx. 7/20 of a century.....

BTW, why don't we make our own threads of some of these unresloved plots topics so that we can discuss it here and not in DCTP.

Do so. I linked all the DCW topics I could find in the original post. Please create any we don't have.

List of insignificant or random details that haven't yet been explained/resolved

• Volume 1+: Kaitou & Shinichi's similarity

Plot-related or not ?

According to justwantanaccount, in the interview with Mystery Magazine, Gosho stated that the similarity between those 2 was not a coincidence.

From the Manga section: http://www.detective...yama-interview/

• Volume 20: Haibara's speech

"You can't rush things... If someone tries to go against the stream of time, they'll be punished."

Obviously not just another philosophical talk, there was also a deeper meaning behind it. Probably APTX-related.

• Volume 29: Gin's speech

When Vermouth invited Gin to have "martini" (sex) with her, Gin smiled: "Mixing black & black will only give you black..." What exactly did he mean by it ?

If Vermouth somehow got pregnant with Gin, their child would also be a future BO member ? :blink:

• Volume 30: Renya Karasuma and the incident 40 years ago

BO-related or not ?

• Volume 37: What Vermouth said to Itakura over the phone

"We can be both God and the Devil, since we're trying to raise the dead against the stream of time..."

Haibara has already stated that the purpose of APTX-4869 was not to raise the dead (Vol 38 - Chap 2 - Page 8), whether you believe it or not. But if that's so, then what was Vermouth trying to indicate ? Does it have something to do with the program that Itakara was developing, which he didn't want to continue "for the sake of humanity" ?

• Volume 39: The strange "cat noise" in the background that Itakura heard while talking to Vermouth

This detail was the most confusing one throughout the whole series. Why did Gosho even add it to the plot ? "Cat allergy" ? Come one Gosho, you can't be serious ! It was stupid, useless, off-topic and didn't exactly explain anything...

Or was it ?

• Volume 41a: Vermouth's strange smile while Conan & Agasa were talking about Ai's parents

From Chap 10 - Page 8. She obviously knew something that we didn't.

• Volume 41b: Elena's nickname

Comparing to "Mad Scientist", "Hell's Angel" sounds much stranger and is not a suitable name for a scientist. The reason why people call her that inside BO was never officially revealed. Was it because of her mysteriousness ? Her apparent nice personality ? Or was there a hidden secret that we never knew ? Does this nickname have anything to do with Vermouth, the one who's always obsessed with God, Angels and such ?

• Volume 42: The unusual blank tapes in the collection that Elena recorded for Shiho

The scene showed Conan listening to tape #11-#15 and saying that there were too many blank ones. He probably referred to the previous tapes (#1-#5, #6-#10). Were the tapes simply damaged or did Elena purposely record them that way ? Is it possible that somebody might have erased those parts ?

• Volume 42+: "Nanatsu no ko"

Any secret meaning/symbolism ?

• Volume 48+: Hidemi's codename

It is strange that "Kir" is just a wine-based cocktail and not a wine (like Sherry, Vermouth, Chianti...) Does Anokata have any unknown intention by code-naming her that way ? Did he know that she was a spy from the beginning ?

• Volume 73+: Sera's mentioned mother

Who is she ?

• Upvote 1

Some of these have been resolved already.

• Volume 37: What the strange BO woman (Vermouth?) said to Itakura over the phone

"We can be both God and the Devil, since we're trying to raise the dead against the stream of time..."

This was Vermouth. The reason why her face was not shown was because she was in disguise as Sharon at the time (1 year ago). Sharon hadn't officially been revealed to be Vermouth until the end of the Vermouth arc.

• Volume 48+: Hidemi's codename

It is strange that "Kir" is just a wine-based cocktail and not a wine (like Sherry, Vermouth, Chianti...) Does Anokata have any unknown intention by code-naming her that way ? Did he know that she was a spy from the beginning ?

I think it was a cute hint for the readers from Gosho. The boss wouldn't let a spy in the Organization if he knew about it.

Also if you are suggesting Gin's black and black mix lines mean he got Vermouth pregnant, maybe that's the cause behind the "cat noises" (i.e. baby noises mistaken for cat noises) one year ago? It doesn't have to be recent. Although I would think the news would report that Sharon Vineyard looked pregnant, unless she took a hiatus for 6 months or so. Also you owe me a new keyboard because I imagined Gin trying to feed a baby and then getting spit up on. Gin would be the worst father ever. Maybe he just orders Vodka to take care of the kid.

...Gin... Feeding... A baby... And... Getting... Spit up on...?

...OHMYFREAKINGGODTHATSHILARIOUSICANIMAGINETHATANDITSSUPERFUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, I'm done. :mellow:

One of the most interesting plot that I would like Aoyama to uncover is the plans and other things that Itakura and the BO might have done had the disk that he was working was a success.

Another thing that I want to know is the big contribution that Shinichi's parents will contribute to the further development of the series. Their broad characters and involvement in the series is too much for them to be only Shinichi's parents.

I believe they have a bigger role to do on how DC will end.