Detective Conan World
Kaitou Kid's Killer

Flaws, contradictions, and plotholes in Detective Conan

Pitch and frequency if I remember correctly. Using both and his perfect pitch ears he can set the bow tie to mimic any persons voice perfectly

Thanks for the heads up, Kyuu! :-D

Isn't it weird that whenever conan put someone to sleep, they always sleep-dance to a place where they can sit unsure.gif

What do you mean? The sleep-dance is 100% realistic! :lol:

Nah but seriously, I think it's more for comedic relief.

It's weird that Kid (movie 14) had a mask of shinichi on under a another.

If I go through all the flaws, contradictions and plotholes in M14 I'll be here for hours.

In regards to Haibara still not being able to make a permanent antidote to APTX, in my opinion even if she did manage to create it, it won't really be all that useful. Shinichi got lucky when he survived the poison because he could take on the identity of Conan and hide himself from the BO. If he took the antidote now he would just be targeted. So maybe it's possible Haibara has almost finished the cure but sees no reason to tell Conan yet.

I'm convinced Haibara has had the antidote for a while and is lying about that, among other things. Only Gosho flat saying I'm wrong with convince me otherwise. Don't even try, Kyuu...

It's weird that Kid (movie 14) had a mask of shinichi on under a another.

Well, movies aren't canon so they contradict things left and right, but that aside... He looks like Shinichi anyway, (I'm convinced they're maternal cousins), so he all he has to do is get his hair to stop looking like surfer hair, and he looks enough like Shinichi to fool those that know him.

I saw some flaws in one of the most thrilling FBI-BO encounter episode, the Head-to-Head Match with the Black Organization episode (345).

During the climax (the story-telling/question and answer portion between Vermouth and Jodie), isn't it natural for Ran to overhear what these two ladies are talking? I mean, if she's in the trunk all the time, she would normally be curious on what's happening outside, especially that the car has already stopped.

If ever she did overhear what Vermouth and Jodie talked about, she must already know that Sharon and Chris Vineyard are the same person. She must have gotten curious also of the name Vermouth. About the reason why Vermouth had to steal those files that his dad Kogoro solved. The reason why Vermouth disguised as Dr. Araide. Even the connection of Haibara to Vermouth. And lastly, when the two ladies are conversing beside the car about Conan being 'Cool Kid/Guy', Ran should have heard it and get suspicious with the real identity of Conan.

I just don't buy the idea that the trunk remained close until Ran decided to save Haibara. Holding your breath for three minutes could be fatal already. And I'm pretty sure that conversation between Vermouth and Jodie lasted more than that. So, I presume Ran heard their conversation.

I saw some flaws in one of the most thrilling FBI-BO encounter episode, the Head-to-Head Match with the Black Organization episode (345).

During the climax (the story-telling/question and answer portion between Vermouth and Jodie), isn't it natural for Ran to overhear what these two ladies are talking? I mean, if she's in the trunk all the time, she would normally be curious on what's happening outside, especially that the car has already stopped.

If ever she did overhear what Vermouth and Jodie talked about, she must already know that Sharon and Chris Vineyard are the same person. She must have gotten curious also of the name Vermouth. About the reason why Vermouth had to steal those files that his dad Kogoro solved. The reason why Vermouth disguised as Dr. Araide. Even the connection of Haibara to Vermouth. And lastly, when the two ladies are conversing beside the car about Conan being 'Cool Kid/Guy', Ran should have heard it and get suspicious with the real identity of Conan.

I just don't buy the idea that the trunk remained close until Ran decided to save Haibara. Holding your breath for three minutes could be fatal already. And I'm pretty sure that conversation between Vermouth and Jodie lasted more than that. So, I presume Ran heard their conversation.

I forgot when but I think Jodie said Ran could not hear any of the conversations outside of the trunk. She only came out because she heard gunshots and was worried.

I forgot when but I think Jodie said Ran could not hear any of the conversations outside of the trunk. She only came out because she heard gunshots and was worried.

A lot of people wonder why the random plane flew over during the middle of the conversation between Jodie and Vermouth. Definitely blocking Ran from hearing that Vermouth doesn't age and is Sharon Vineyard is one of the reasons. Also part of the conversation about the 20 years ago bit took place in English, which Ran may have had more trouble with and not caught all of.

All of this assumes Ran could everything else perfectly. That might not be the case.

Also, trunks are typically not airtight. Assuming a bad trunk scenario, Ran would have many hours before she suffocated assuming she is not hyperventilating.

A lot of people wonder why the random plane flew over during the middle of the conversation between Jodie and Vermouth. Definitely blocking Ran from hearing that Vermouth doesn't age and is Sharon Vineyard is one of the reasons. Also part of the conversation about the 20 years ago bit took place in English, which Ran may have had more trouble with and not caught all of.

All of this assumes Ran could everything else perfectly. That might not be the case.

Also, trunks are typically not airtight. Assuming a bad trunk scenario, Ran would have many hours before she suffocated assuming she is not hyperventilating.

Great find on the random plane. Thanks for pointing that out! :-)

I'm not being too much realistic or overlooking too much things here. But, how did Ran opened the trunk? If it's opened from the get-go, isn't it easier for Ran to overhear the things Vermouth and Jodie are talking to?

As far as I know, Ran is a bit knowledgeable of the English language (although not as good as Shinichi). I think the fact that the FBI was mentioned in the conversation is enough for Ran to be suspicious and curious about Jodie.

Great find on the random plane. Thanks for pointing that out! :-)

I'm not being too much realistic or overlooking too much things here. But, how did Ran opened the trunk? If it's opened from the get-go, isn't it easier for Ran to overhear the things Vermouth and Jodie are talking to?

As far as I know, Ran is a bit knowledgeable of the English language (although not as good as Shinichi). I think the fact that the FBI was mentioned in the conversation is enough for Ran to be suspicious and curious about Jodie.

Most trunks have an internal lever for opening them from the inside.

Holding your breath for three minutes could be fatal already.

aside from anything else… you can’t die from holding your breath, you’d pass out before dying and automatically start breathing again while unconscious

Conan's glasses, in the first episode he took of the lenses and he's been wearing the same glasses until now but no one noticed this!

I'm almost positive he had fake lenses put in there since then. In fact, the glasses he has now are probably completely different but they just look similar, since through action packed moments he tends to lose them, not to mention the fact he has a spare set and that his glasses were upgraded by Agasa.

aside from anything else… you can’t die from holding your breath, you’d pass out before dying and automatically start breathing again while unconscious

Well, I may have exaggerated it a bit by saying it's fatal. :grin: Thanks for the heads up!

Based from Chekhov's post, it is highly possible that the car Jodie used has an interior trunk release lever or something. Because if I remember correctly, the release of the manga version of that episode is way beyond 2001 already.

In the Diplomat Murder Case, when Shinichi felt his heart beating, his body on fire, and his bones melting, he saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to flee from Heiji (and later Ran). I wonder why those two didn't pursue him more aggressively (i.e. do a room by room & hall by hall search for him), since they knew he wasn't well (I know this would have led to his identity being discovered then, but it just doesn't make sense logically: if your friend/acquaintance was not well and decided to flee instead of seek medical attention, would you allow them to flee without a chase?).

In the Diplomat Murder Case, when Shinichi felt his heart beating, his body on fire, and his bones melting, he saw the handwriting on the wall and decided to flee from Heiji (and later Ran). I wonder why those two didn't pursue him more aggressively (i.e. do a room by room & hall by hall search for him), since they knew he wasn't well (I know this would have led to his identity being discovered then, but it just doesn't make sense logically: if your friend/acquaintance was not well and decided to flee instead of seek medical attention, would you allow them to flee without a chase?).

Often when people do that, it can be assumed that they are fleeing because they are nauseous and thus going to the bathroom to vomit. I'm sure that that is what Ran figured. Heiji wasn't his friend at the time and was a rival. I don't think he cared so much, and he already probably figured out by that point that shinichi = conan.

I don't think Heiji has already figure about Conan's identity yet at that time, but I agree, I don't think people would care so much. Also, maybe Ran was being confused by that attitude so then she became helpless. Well it's not that weird I think. It's quite acceptable, natural. No flaw :)

I don't understand how Vermouth has been able to get away with hiding information about Conan, Ai, and APTX-4869. I think that in real life, if a member of an underground crime organization is hiding important information regarding one or more of the organization's targets, then the other members of the organization would surely press that person to reveal what he/she is hiding. In that case, Gin and the other members of the BO would have aggressively lobbied the Boss to press Vermouth on what she is hiding (even though Vermouth is regarded as a "favorite" of the Boss, I think in real life, if the Boss were told by others that she is hiding important information, the Boss would surely press her on what she is hiding), thus putting her under a lot of pressure to disclose what she knows, especially since that information pretains to important targets of the BO.

I don't understand how Vermouth has been able to get away with hiding information about Conan, Ai, and APTX-4869. I think that in real life, if a member of an underground crime organization is hiding important information regarding one or more of the organization's targets, then the other members of the organization would surely press that person to reveal what he/she is hiding. In that case, Gin and the other members of the BO would have aggressively lobbied the Boss to press Vermouth on what she is hiding (even though Vermouth is regarded as a "favorite" of the Boss, I think in real life, if the Boss were told by others that she is hiding important information, the Boss would surely press her on what she is hiding), thus putting her under a lot of pressure to disclose what she knows, especially since that information pretains to important targets of the BO.

Vermouth's story was that she got randomly found and attacked by Shuuichi Akai and the other FBI; it is a suspicious but not unbelievable story because the FBI did follow her to Japan. Gin might think she is hiding something, but he doesn't have a clue what, so if she tells the "truth" under questioning, it's over because Gin doesn't have proof that there is more to Vermouth's story than she is saying. Gin secretly sent Vodka into a disguise party on a ship to find out what Vermouth might be up to, and the best Vodka could do was find some weird Osakan teenage detective disguising as a dead guy trying to lure the real one out, and Vermouth apparently blackmailing a man to murder for some reason. The boss decided to play it safe and put Vermouth on a shorter leash, but there is only so much they can be justified in doing without evidence.

Did someone already note about Sonoko recalling that Okiya has been hiding his neck multiple times, even though she only sawhim once before? She remembered him in cases that she was never involved in...

• Upvote 1