Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

What Did You Learn Today?

today i learned Esperanto which is artificial language.and it also a international languang.it is very easy to learn.For the peace of the whole world and the people all over the world can speak a fair language,I hope you can learn it.only several months you can use it comunicate with others.

TIL more people take MBTI types seriously than I originally thought 

That most people don't know anything about their friends...the times have changed

Can you elaborate?  

LIVE BY THE MBTI

DIE BY THE MBTI

13.png

THAT IS OUR CREDO

FROM NOW UNTIL THE DAY WE RETURN TO THE SOIL

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 9:33 AM, Akazora said:

LIVE BY THE MBTI

DIE BY THE MBTI

13.png

THAT IS OUR CREDO

FROM NOW UNTIL THE DAY WE RETURN TO THE SOIL

*is reminded an MBTI thread on DCW was created over a year ago by some user named kirsch*

eheheh

Greenland's a third world country apparently. Greenlandic is a language too. I don't know what language I thought was spoken over there, especially considering people in Iceland speaking Icelandic, but I didn't think it would be something as obvious sounding as Greenlandic.. 

Unlike English where "-s", "-es", and "-ies" on the end of a word can often correctly indicate whether or not a word is plural, this isn't the case in German, and sometimes the only difference between the plural and singular form of a word is an umlaut over one of the vowels.

Order of the British Empire (OBE)

Summary: These are honorary awards given by the British Monarch to a person who did an exceptionally good thing. Even if you're not a British Citizen, you can still be integrated to the Order and recieve an award whatever. If you're a/you become a British Citizen or a citizen of any country which used to be part of the Commonwealths (e.g. Australia, New Zealand, etc etc), you will be fully pledged to the Order and you can start prefixing your real name with Sir or Dame and also, you can require people to call you by Sir or Dame *inserts real name*.

The five classes of appointment to the Order are, in descending order of precedence:

1. Knight Grand Cross or Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (GBE)[a]
  2. Knight Commander or Dame Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (KBE or DBE)
  3. Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (CBE)
  4. Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE)
  5. Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE)

Source: Wiki

Haha, you can actually still become a Knight/Dame in this modern age :P

Incoming long post

So yesterday, I was googling about what Native Americans might've thought tornadoes and other natural disasters were, and how they dealt with the aftermath of them. I didn't get very far before I got distracted by the 1997 Jarrell, TX tornado.

The tornado that struck the small town of Jarrell in the late afternoon of May 27th, 1997 was a monstrous anomaly. It had a lot of unusual characteristics, and as a result, was extremely destructive. Storm systems, and correspondingly tornadoes as well, generally move from west to east in the US, but the Jarrell tornado has a southwestern path. Most tornadoes travel at a speed around 30mph, and only stay on the ground about 10-15min. The tornado in question though was incredibly slow moving, seemingly stationary at some points, and was on the ground for 40min. It was also an F5, and had confirmed wind speeds of over 200mph, with some people estimating that at its strongest, winds were upwards of 300mph. When the tornado hit, it hit hard because the affected landscape was subjected to 200mph+ winds and flying debris for several minutes. 

One of the first places hit by the tornado was a neighborhood in Jarrell called Double Creek Estates. Before the storm, Double Creek Estates consisted of 50 homes, but by May 28th, the neighborhood was almost completely flattened. All the remained of the 38 houses in the storm's direct path was concrete foundations and mangled debris. If I'm not mistaken, all 27 deaths caused by the tornado happened in Double Creek Estates. About three hundred cows were also killed, and to give an idea of how badly the victims were injured, first responders had a hard time distinguishing human remains from livestock remains, and most victims had to be identified via dental records. In total, the twister traveled 7.6mi and caused $40mil in damage (not sure if this number has been adjusted for inflation or not). Extensive damage was done to the landscape too. Most trees were taken out by the winds, and most, if not all of the trees that were still standing by the end of it had their bark ripped off. Large portions of the grass were also missing due to ground scouring, and even large sections of asphalt has been ripped off some of the roads.

How I got from Native Americans to this specific tornado though was because "supposedly" (in " " because I can't find any other mention of this legend outside of information about this tornado) there's a Native American legend that talks about a seeing a dead man walking in tornadoes. According to the legend, if you see the dead man walking, your death is imminent. (which, to be honest, is an understandable train of thought and was probably fairly accurate if the legend did actually exist before this event) Most people brushed this off when they heard it though partially because, a tornado looks like a tornado. There's nothing exactly humanoid about a funnel. The one picture of the tornado that hit Jarrell was taken at a very interesting moment though, and it definitely has an interesting shape to it.  The tornado had multiple vortexes for some length of time (Can't find how long the multiple vortexes existed), so that's why it looks like that, but it's still pretty weird it aligned like that for any length of time. 

Spoiler

JARREL~1.png

There's no known video of the dead man walking unfortunately, but it's a fascinating picture. and if anyone's curious, this blog has pictures of what the some of the damage Jarrell sustained looked like

But uh.. yup. This is what I've been doing for the past 24 hours... I watched a documentary from 1999 on this, and it was quite the experience. Over dramatic acting, cheesy sound effects and primitive special effects. It was originally recorded on a vhs tape and the screen jumped around occasionally, there was a fuzzy, static-y bar at the top of the picture, and none of the commercials were cut out. The same AOL commercial played 3 times, and some of the commercials had AOL keywords in the corner--there was a blockbuster commercial too. It was gr8. 

tl;dr tornadoes are scary

• Upvote 2

Well I was watching another Crash Course Series but this time it's on Ecology. So yeah, some stuffs about Ecology. I'm still like early on the series.

But, Hank Green Senpai, man. :D He'll be a better teacher than most of the teachers that I had in school. He just adds humor (puns and all that) from time to time while talking which makes learning from him non-boring and too serious. (He speaks really fast tho which makes it hard to understand sometimes)

On 8/1/2016 at 6:27 AM, Kirsch said:

The lyrics to Lafayette's part in Guns and Ships.

DAT FRENCH ACCENT DOE

Sometimes it is quite difficult to write a study, especially if it concerns a subject completely unknown or uninteresting to you. Sometimes in such cases, I turn to the service https://edubirdie.com/essay-rewriter which helps me to write and rewrite my research.

It's very cool!