Detective Conan World

After being away for a while, I bring to you... nothing new, just a little addendum to the previous Shônen Sunday Special Booklet posted by Chekhov:

I noticed that some parts like the ones about Heiji Hattori and Kaitou Kid were missing and some time ago, the booklet was included in the german version of the 83rd volume of Detective Conan (including stuff like the "Yaiba Special Page", which I translated too, but not the three Kaitou Kid Special Pages... even though Yaiba never ever appeared in Germany XD). Therefore, these translations are based on the german versions. Nothing plot relevant, but maybe some interesting background info about how Gosho thinks and works for some of you out there. (And some stuff for the Yaiba fans, if there even are any on here. :D)

There are actually several different "Shonen Sunday Special Booklet"s 

Volume 83 has its own, which is separate from the previous two. 

I think I'm going to need to find a way to get them all scanned

did you happen to scan the entirety of each page of the one you have?

I only just got my copy of Volume 83 recently, so I can scan a Japanese Raw if need be.

There is an interview section that contains images of :

Haibara listening to the Elena tapes

Middle Brother's "Wizard" text message

and Shuuichi's text to Akemi (from wayyyyyyy back when)

(I really need to go home soon and get the rest of my Manga volumes and the 5 Shonen Sunday issues I have)

CREDIT TO Spimer AT DCTP FOR THE TRANSLATIONS

Here are the Let's talk with Aoyama Gosho-sensei day questions from Jan 3, 2016. There was very little time for questions at the end because there were many events before the questions.

1Q: Ran's always using a Gallpagos phone: won't she switch to a smartphone at some point?
1A: W-well... You're right. It's a complicated topic... Well... Hum... It feels a bit ankward that it doesn't close somewhat but...
Maybe I'll change it someday, or so I think from time to time... Sorry.

2Q: Volume 85, when Bourbon and Vermouth are talking about how Gin suspects spies are getting in: is that foreshadowing?
2A: Foreshadowing, huh. Well... Yes, it is. This year's movie will be more or less about that so...

3Q: Well... Someone asked to me ask this but... Kir, Bourbon, Cherry (guess he meant to say Sherry), their eyes turn into foreigners when BO mode: are they mixed race?
3A: Ah... No, nott really. When Conan gets surprised he also gets foreigner-like eyes so... I draw them like that when I want to portray scared eyes: there's no special meaning to them. Sorry.
But they maybe (some odd word: apparently Gosho can't come up with the word he wants to use) half, even.
(According to the person who wrote this it might be that he was trying to think of alternative word to "half", another way to tell mixed race characters apart)

4Q: Now... This year's film "The Darknest Nightmare": what color feelings do you think we should give to this pitch black movie? What's the fitting color in your opinion?
4A: Huh! That's a bit dangerous (in the sense that he has to avoid spoilers). Hum... Well, I guess each viewer should choose their own color... I think. It's a bit hard to say. Sorry.

5Q: Volume 88. Sato's flashy outfit: are those plain clothes? In the same volume: Takagi Wataru is wearing flashy too but has his police notebook got downgraded to senior policeman, did you know?
He should be a police sergeant but both the Shonen Sunday chapter and the volume chapter read "senior policeman".
5A: It got mistaken with police sergeant. Sorry, I meant, he IS a police sergeant.
And... Maybe Sato's plain clothes were borrowed frum Yumi?
Incidentally, the next case involves Yumi and Sato... Well... That's... It begins with a scene having the 2 of them walking in front of Shinjuku's Alta. (Fashion store in Tokyo)
Chuukichi also shows up.

6Q: Is there a "fake" (a red herring) in the manga that no-one's noticed yet?
6A: Ah... Huh... There is. No-one's noticed it yet. It'll soon be reffered to. In Volume 18 (speculated to be the APTX victim list and the "Haneda" name there)

7Q: Eh... I think that there might be people like Amuro or Akai from the PSB or the FBI sneaking int the BO but...
Could there be the inverse, that BO are sneaking into Japanese police or FBI or in Conan's surroundings?
7A: Ah... You bring up a painful topic... (Might be his way of saying: "I won't tell you")

8Q: Could they be inside of characters who've already shown up or will show up in the future?
8A: That's... welll... No comment. Please switch question topic.

9Q: Also... Maybe you can't tell us but... Who's the girl that Sera's hiding?
9A: I can't say that but... Really. Are there no other topics?

10Q: Also... Maybe you can't tell us but... Is Vermouth an ally?
10A: Huh? I can't say that. Really. An ally? (Looks troubled). Are you finished?

11Q: Vermouth and Shinichi's mom knew other as fellow actresses but... Both know a lot about each other and seem to get along pretty well but...
How should I put it like...? How well do they get along?
11A: Well... They're both actresses.

12Q: I meant: how do they get along about how they know a lot about each other?
12A: Not really.

13Q: Please give us a hint regarding what you've said about that of Volume 18 no-one knows about!
13A: You bring it up...? Why...? I'm saying no-one knows it... Hmmmm...
Well... You could say that someone might show up... When you see their name you'll go "Really?" or something like that...
Hmmm... Sheesh. Let's leave it at there. You'll enjoy it when you read it so look forward to it.

14Q: Is there someone, some character that proved to be very hard to draw or think of?
14A: Ah. Hmmm... Huh... Not sure... Akai or Gin, maybe. I wanted them to be cool and scary at the same time and it proved to be hard to.
The conté crayons I drew recently ago needed several redos.... It was rather... Hum... Somewhat... Let's leave it at there.
If I go I might end up spoilering something so.
(Gosho) President: I don't have much time to fix these... (President?) It's a bit wrong... (Gosho) What's a bit wrong?
Yeah. You see, it became like a hoodlum, even. Felt like behaving like Gin, even.

15Q: What's with Ran's hairstyle?
15A: Ah. Sorry. That must be it... T-that's, well, ended up like that, I guess. Hmmm... I wanted it to be a hairstyle with style so... I went with that symbol... Or, rather...
... Make it so that you can tell it's Ran even from a distance. Like when she's in the midst of a crowd... So that's why I made it like that. Sorry.
More like AstroBoy's angel head.

Photo dump from same questions event

below text copied from my post on DCTP forums

I've created photo albums for the Jan 1st Autograph Signing at the Manga Factory, and the Jan 2nd Lets Talk Day events. Because of so many people taking photos, there are a lot of repeats of some parts. I've included as many copies as possible on purpose. Also there were many more images for the Signing, but I chose to exclude any image where the person in the photo intentionally scratched out their own face or had their face blocked in some way.

Manga Factory Signing

Lets Talk Day

Many of the people who went to these events arrived to Tottori through Conan Airport and uploaded lots of images of the inside where all the exhibits are located. Also they explored the area and took photos of all of the statues along Conan Road, as well as Conan station and train. There also seems to be a Conan car and bus. I'm still sorting through all of those photos.

That shadow person in the MI6 category... That's a pretty strong indication of what's coming.

wJSKNR3.jpg

While I don't understand the text, these were apparently questions directed at Gosho for fun stuff. The answer to this slide was apparently Secret Police (koan keisatsu) 

Other slides had questions like

the one with Okiya, Kansuke, and Kuroda is asking him what kind of food would be served at "Otoko no Conan Cafe", should it be Okiya's Curry Rice, Poiro's Sandwich, Kan-chan's"half kill", or Kuroda's Black Tea (red tea). The answer was Okiya's Curry Rice

-Takayama Minami said in an interview that she wanted to see a story without any case in it. If you're going to draw a peaceful daily life story, what would it be?

RED : Teitan Elementary's sport day

WHITE : A Takagi and Sato date without any case occuring

BLUE : "My dad teach me when we were in Hawaii..."

>>GREEN : The Black Org. members' brilliant (?) day off

-If Detective Conan will ever have an RPG game, which character do you play first?

RED : Mouri Ran

Special Ability : Karate

WHITE : Akai Shuuichi

S.A : Guns

>>BLUE : Edogawa Conan

S.A : Soccer Ball, Tranquilizer

GREEN : Haibara Ai

S.A : Scientific Sorcery

-There are 4 movies that didnt have Aoyama-sensei's hand-drawn poster. If you (Aoyama) have to choose one, which movie's poster do you want to draw?

RED : Time Bombed Skyscrapper

WHITE : The Fourteenth Target

BLUE : The Last Wizard of The Century

>>GREEN : Count Down to Heaven

-Which item in the series do you think, if it were to be selled as goods, will be bought by fans the most?

RED : Kazuha's charm

WHITE : Fusae Champbell's wallet

BLUE : Kamen Yaiba action figure

GREEN : Sera's oldest brother's Jeet Kune Do video

(Not answered apparently, but Gosho did say something about the Fusae Brand wallets)

wJSKNR3.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneTruthPrevails/comments/3z96vl/new_mi6_character_silhouette_revealed_in_lets/cykdx5s

I tried my hand in translating it:

Out of the various international organizations introduced in "Detective Conan 60+PLUS", if one of them were to ask for your assistance towards taking down the Black Organization, which organization would you help?

A (Red). FBI

B (White). CIA

C (Blue). PSB

D (Green). SIS (Secret Intelligence Service, a.k.a. MI6)

• Upvote 1

“S.A : Scientific Soccery”

That should be “sorcery” btw… was kinda confused when I read it. lol

“>>GREEN : The Black Org. members' brilliant (?) body day”

That’s a mistranslation… give me a sec I’ll edit in a correction.

“>>GREEN : The Black Org. members' brilliant (?) body day”

That’s a mistranslation… give me a sec I’ll edit in a correction.

Lol I forgot about it. “body day” should just be changed to “day off”. The translator misread 休日 as 体日.

Here's one that Spimer says he initially missed over at DCTP 

Q: Can you tell us a highlight of this year's movie?
A: A highlight? Well... It's a confrontation with the BO. And, also... A fight between PSB's Amuro and FBI's Akai. Boxing vs Jeet Kune Do. Where they fight is frightening... You'll be like "they're gonna fight here of all places?". 

That was strange to hear, considering I have a pretty similar idea for the climax of my Alternate Bourbon story.

Here's one that Spimer says he initially missed over at DCTP

Q: Can you tell us a highlight of this year's movie?

A: A highlight? Well... It's a confrontation with the BO. And, also... A fight between PSB's Amuro and FBI's Akai. Boxing vs Jeet Kune Do. Where they fight is frightening... You'll be like "they're gonna fight here of all places?".

That was strange to hear, considering I have a pretty similar idea for the climax of my Alternate Bourbon story.

Holy shit! So Akai VS Bourbon was more than just his wish, it's actually gonna happen!!??? O.o

I wonder if his reference to volume 18 is really about Haneda...he says somebody might show up and his/her name would surprise us, if it is really the Haneda in the list he/she won't show up because that person was confirmed dead.

Gosho seemed somewhat annoyed didn't he? :P I don't think the guy who was questioning was well prepared, and asking questions like who is mg, or is vermouth an ally just seemed to be wasting time, obviously Gosho can't answer such questions.

Holy shit! So Akai VS Bourbon was more than just his wish, it's actually gonna happen!!??? O.o

Yeah so it seems really interesting now :D It's going to be a three-way clash among Bourbon, Akai and the BO. The one representing BO would mainly be Gin I guess, but might even be Rum because Gosho said the movie will mainly deal with the "rats" conversation between Vermouth and Bourbon. Though now I think we might get quite a bit of plot in the next few cases, and really looking forward to the volume 18 secret!

According to some bloggers the ones asking were decided by a lottery rather than by raising hands, which is why some unprepared/less informed fans got to ask questions. And I don't think Gosho said that the conversation about rats would be resolved/dealt with in this movie.

If someone could check the remaining postcards that would be very helpful. There is one blog reporting many people were said not to be the boss, including a few popular theories, but the blog didn't link any sources. The postcards are here btw: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Postcards#2016

• Upvote 1

If someone could check the remaining postcards that would be very helpful. There is one blog reporting many people were said not to be the boss, including a few popular theories, but the blog didn't link any sources. The postcards are here btw: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Postcards#2016

The person's blog seems to claim that they copied information off the internet and they are not checking the accuracy of the contents.

However, I've copied a bunch of their statements about "the boss is not this person" into google with quotes to see if that exact sentence

has been put somewhere else online and can't seem to find those statements anywhere but that blog.  I haven't even seen them on 2ch other

than in reference to that blog. Unless literally all of the sources for those statements come from places like protected twitter or facebook or blog accounts

(which would be really suspicious) then I have no idea where they got the information from.  But the likely hood of that many Boss cards all appearing at

the same time in close succession seems really odd. Some twitter people seem to think that Gosho would never deny people like Daikoku/Ooguro,

Karasuma, Genichiro, or Edward Crowe because of how widely popular those theories are across the fandom worldwide. 

of the postcards I have found, the only Boss related one that we have is "Toichi Kuroba is not the boss" 

The person's blog seems to claim that they copied information off the internet and they are not checking the accuracy of the contents.

However, I've copied a bunch of their statements about "the boss is not this person" into google with quotes to see if that exact sentence

has been put somewhere else online and can't seem to find those statements anywhere but that blog. I haven't even seen them on 2ch other

than in reference to that blog. Unless literally all of the sources for those statements come from places like protected twitter or facebook or blog accounts

(which would be really suspicious) then I have no idea where they got the information from. But the likely hood of that many Boss cards all appearing at

the same time in close succession seems really odd. Some twitter people seem to think that Gosho would never deny people like Daikoku/Ooguro,

Karasuma, Genichiro, or Edward Crowe because of how widely popular those theories are across the fandom worldwide.

of the postcards I have found, the only Boss related one that we have is "Toichi Kuroba is not the boss"

that sounds a bit shady....

Btw, who is Edward Crowe?

I'm curious why a Boss theory concerning him(who I don't even remember) would be popular...

has been put somewhere else online and can't seem to find those statements anywhere but that blog.  I haven't even seen them on 2ch other

(which would be really suspicious) then I have no idea where they got the information from.  But the likely hood of that many Boss cards all appearing at

I checked the untranslated postcards for the names and didn't see any either, so I was pretty suspicious. (But then again my Japanese reading is pretty bad.) The internet is full of sketchy sources, so all the better to be strict on the plot critical pages.

that sounds a bit shady....

Btw, who is Edward Crowe?

I'm curious why a Boss theory concerning him(who I don't even remember) would be popular...

Journalist on the plane from Shinichi's first case. It's because his name is Crowe and he is the flunky of a US representative, not because anything substantial. He didn't act intelligently to be honest. Not notable at all.

The sketchy reporter everyone should watch is Atsushi Mori from Ski Lodge Murder Case. I swear he walked out of Kindaichi. (I don't really think he is the boss, but he was one of those great characters who was never used to full potential. He would be a great non-BO antagonist if he threatened to publish an article about Shinichi.)

I checked the untranslated postcards for the names and didn't see any either, so I was pretty suspicious. (But then again my Japanese reading is pretty bad.) The internet is full of sketchy sources, so all the better to be strict on the plot critical pages.

Journalist on the plane from Shinichi's first case. It's because his name is Crowe and he is the flunky of a US representative, not because anything substantial. He didn't act intelligently to be honest. Not notable at all.

The sketchy reporter everyone should watch is Atsushi Mori from Ski Lodge Murder Case. I swear he walked out of Kindaichi. (I don't really think he is the boss, but he was one of those great characters who was never used to full potential. He would be a great non-BO antagonist if he threatened to publish an article about Shinichi.)

Omg hahah, was it that guy all along?! I highly doubt it too.

And that's true, Atsushi was indeed an interesting reporter, and so was that former detective from the yukionna case...

I just translated one and later noticed it was a duplicate of one slightly above. The Kazuha one.

So I just got my copy of Gosho Aoyama's Complete Color Works and it has a special interview at the end

Aoyama Gosho x Takayama Minami I'll probably try to type it up on my next day off of work (in a few days).

According to its copyright page, it came out on  the same day as the Conan Drill book, so it dates back to

just before the Halloween party case.

Saw this in my Google+ feed today... http://meitanteikonanplot.blogspot.com/2016/03/special-post-march-2016-aoyama-gosho.html

It's a translation of the interview between Gosho Aoyama and Sakamoto Hayato from the Yomiuri Giants that was featured in SS#16

Special Post March 2016, Aoyama Gosho Interview.

Gosho Aoyama and Hayato Sakamoto Cross-Talk.
Creator of Detective Conan and The Yomiuri Giants' Captain.

Why is it you became a fan of Sakamoto's, Mr. Aoyama? 

Aoyama: Well, I've been a fan since he was first drafted. At that time, I was very pleased with the scout Omori, and I had wondered what sort of player he would bring in. I thought "well, he's a little thin, but he looks like he can hit." (laughs) I had a good feeling about him when watching him play. He really stands out from the crowd! I've been a fan since then. Today's the first time we've met, and I couldn't believe it was really him. (laughs) It felt like is was still looking at a TV. Sorry. (laughs)

Mr. Sakamoto, today's the first time you've met, so what's your first impression of Mr. Aoyama

Sakamoto: My first impression? Just "this is the guy who draws Conan!" (laughs) I'm a big fan of manga and I've got an autograph I received before in the locker room. I'm gonna put the picture I got today there too. 

What do you think about the role Sakamoto played in last year's season

Aoyama: While I was in the hospital they didn't have Nippon TV G+ so I only got to see highlights on the news, and that was difficult. (laughs) Also, I hadn't realized Sakamoto was batting cleanup. That surprised me when I noticed. 

Sakamoto: It was my first year as captain of the Giants, so I'm getting a lot of new experiences. It was my first time batting 4th as well. My record wasn't that good, but all in all it was a good year.

You're both professionals in your respective fields, so you must encounter some real difficulties.

Aoyama: Well, first, I really worried about whether I could draw a serialized comic. I felt like I wouldn't have any more ideas after 3 months. The first year or two was really difficult. (laughs)

Sakamoto: For me, it's that we've got a game every day. That's physically tiring of course, but also you have to play in front of forty thousand people, and that's very mentally exhausting. How many hours do you usually spend drawing manga?

Aoyama: When I'm in production, I only sleep about 3 hours a night.

Sakamoto: And the rest of the time you're drawing manga?

Aoyama: Or watching the Giants. (laughs)

Sakamoto: Thank you very much. (laughs) I've gotta be able to run around so sleep's very important. I get about 7 or 8 hours. So, you don't get any time off?

Aoyama: Time off? No, no!

How about right after you've finished the manuscript

Aoyama: Ah, that's when I'll watch the Giants game they've won. On nights they've won, it gets broadcast on Nippon TV G+. So, I'll record it and watch it later to refresh myself. (laughs)

Sakamoto: Haha! You really do like the Giants don't you!?

Aoyama: I've been a fan since the Nagashima days. (Shigeo Nagashima: coach of the Giants from 1972 - 1980, and 1993 - 2001) How do you feel about the change of coaches?

Sakamoto: It's my first experience with that. It feels fresh and exciting. 

Aoyama: Can I say this? For me personally, I want Sakamoto to be batting third. Then I want you to get .300 average with 30 homers...then once you do that, please make an appearance in Conan!! Also, I want you to go a year without injuries.

Sakamoto: A .300 Avg. and 30 home runs! Since you're expecting it I'll do it. Then we'll aim toward winning the Japan Series. After I do that you put me in Conan? (laughs)

Aoyama: Definitely! (laughs) I'll be supporting you with all my might this year!!  

dxsTF1y.jpg

sGiXTzu.jpg

The translator seems to have some other interviews on their G+ page as well: https://plus.google.com/103831424736476651138/posts

• Upvote 1

Saw this in my Google+ feed today... http://meitanteikonanplot.blogspot.com/2016/03/special-post-march-2016-aoyama-gosho.html

It's a translation of the interview between Gosho Aoyama and Sakamoto Hayato from the Yomiuri Giants that was featured in SS#16

Special Post March 2016, Aoyama Gosho Interview.

Gosho Aoyama and Hayato Sakamoto Cross-Talk.
Creator of Detective Conan and The Yomiuri Giants' Captain.

Why is it you became a fan of Sakamoto's, Mr. Aoyama? 

Aoyama: Well, I've been a fan since he was first drafted. At that time, I was very pleased with the scout Omori, and I had wondered what sort of player he would bring in. I thought "well, he's a little thin, but he looks like he can hit." (laughs) I had a good feeling about him when watching him play. He really stands out from the crowd! I've been a fan since then. Today's the first time we've met, and I couldn't believe it was really him. (laughs) It felt like is was still looking at a TV. Sorry. (laughs)

Mr. Sakamoto, today's the first time you've met, so what's your first impression of Mr. Aoyama

Sakamoto: My first impression? Just "this is the guy who draws Conan!" (laughs) I'm a big fan of manga and I've got an autograph I received before in the locker room. I'm gonna put the picture I got today there too. 

What do you think about the role Sakamoto played in last year's season

Aoyama: While I was in the hospital they didn't have Nippon TV G+ so I only got to see highlights on the news, and that was difficult. (laughs) Also, I hadn't realized Sakamoto was batting cleanup. That surprised me when I noticed. 

Sakamoto: It was my first year as captain of the Giants, so I'm getting a lot of new experiences. It was my first time batting 4th as well. My record wasn't that good, but all in all it was a good year.

You're both professionals in your respective fields, so you must encounter some real difficulties.

Aoyama: Well, first, I really worried about whether I could draw a serialized comic. I felt like I wouldn't have any more ideas after 3 months. The first year or two was really difficult. (laughs)

Sakamoto: For me, it's that we've got a game every day. That's physically tiring of course, but also you have to play in front of forty thousand people, and that's very mentally exhausting. How many hours do you usually spend drawing manga?

Aoyama: When I'm in production, I only sleep about 3 hours a night.

Sakamoto: And the rest of the time you're drawing manga?

Aoyama: Or watching the Giants. (laughs)

Sakamoto: Thank you very much. (laughs) I've gotta be able to run around so sleep's very important. I get about 7 or 8 hours. So, you don't get any time off?

Aoyama: Time off? No, no!

How about right after you've finished the manuscript

Aoyama: Ah, that's when I'll watch the Giants game they've won. On nights they've won, it gets broadcast on Nippon TV G+. So, I'll record it and watch it later to refresh myself. (laughs)

Sakamoto: Haha! You really do like the Giants don't you!?

Aoyama: I've been a fan since the Nagashima days. (Shigeo Nagashima: coach of the Giants from 1972 - 1980, and 1993 - 2001) How do you feel about the change of coaches?

Sakamoto: It's my first experience with that. It feels fresh and exciting. 

Aoyama: Can I say this? For me personally, I want Sakamoto to be batting third. Then I want you to get .300 average with 30 homers...then once you do that, please make an appearance in Conan!! Also, I want you to go a year without injuries.

Sakamoto: A .300 Avg. and 30 home runs! Since you're expecting it I'll do it. Then we'll aim toward winning the Japan Series. After I do that you put me in Conan? (laughs)

Aoyama: Definitely! (laughs) I'll be supporting you with all my might this year!!  

dxsTF1y.jpg

sGiXTzu.jpg

The translator seems to have some other interviews on their G+ page as well: https://plus.google.com/103831424736476651138/posts

YAY!

It seems that there are actually 3 interviews in that issue of Da Vinci magazine 2014

I have scanned and uploaded them to the DCW wiki

apparently the really long interview part that was translated previously, wasn't actually the long interview itself

the part we have translated just seems to be only a portion of the "Gosho x Takeru Satoh" cross talk

Here is what I found after buying a copy of the magazine. 

• Upvote 1

So this is the list of the interview type content that have come out this year that have not been translated
I've got most of the raws, except the more recent DVD collection interviews

20th Anniversary DVD collection guidebook interviews Gosho and Voice Actors
March 2016 - August 2016

20 Year Cinema Guide interviews
Interviews with the cast and crew of the movies as well as Gosho, April 4, 2016.

Complete Color Works Interview Aoyama 2016
Interview with Gosho from April 27, 2016 

Animedia Gosho Interview
June issue of 2016, released May 10th, 2016

Asahi Newspaper Interview 2016
「名探偵コナン」青山剛昌さんがエール July 16, 2016

• Upvote 1