Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Noir

Double Posting Question

Well, since I don't know a place where I could get an attention of a mod to get an answer on a question, I put it here. If it isn't the right section, please move it. Thanks. :)

Anyway, my question: Is it legal to double post after a day of the last post? During the previous days on my first forum, I've heard of some rule like that. It wasn't actually emphasized and I couldn't tell if the mod was making fun of us or just plain lying (though it looked like he was just telling us casually), so I was wondering if this applies to this forum as well. Everyone knows very well that double posting is illegal (I don't really know if it's right to call it 'illegal', it's kind of funny, in a way) or just a plain bad thing to do. Just wondering. And yes, I'm a rule breaker. I want to know more to break more rules.

By the way, side question: It is only considered reviving a thread, for posting after 7 days from the last post, right? I am a reputable spammer in my "first forum" and I was proud of it with 4000-5000+ posts, always told by the mods to stop doing this and that, yet I continue to disobey (and unusually, I got no warning of any sort). While chatting with a mod (in a thread that I spammed through a conversation type of way), we ended up talking about reviving threads as my partner-in-crime accidentally revived one. I know I've already asked this question some time when I had the highest/second-highest/somewhere-in-the-top-5 of the overall posters at my 900- posts, but I kind of forgot.

TL;DR

Question 1: Is it legal to double post after a day of the last post?

Question 2: Is it considered reviving a thread after 7 days, for posting after 7 days from the last post?

The forum is pretty flexible.

Try to edit your previous post unless your additional content is substantially different, like you rethought something, or you have new information to add that goes well beyond your previous post. If you are quoting or replying to multiple people, edit your previous post. The one day rule is a good rule of thumb, but I have broken it by posting a self-contained solution to the current case after a separate post replying to someone else. I have also combined people's posts that are separated by more than 24 hours. Just try to be sensible and it will work out.

Necroing is longer than seven days on this forum, but it doesn't matter. The basic rules are that you should necro a thread rather than start a new one on the same topic. Please only necro old threads when you have something new or thought provoking to add to the discussion. Don't necro threads if you don't have anything more than "I agree/disagree" or "my view of things in one sentence that someone else posted earlier and I didn't see it because I didn't read any of the other posts". Mods aren't going to delete your posts, but it's annoying to find current topics pushed to the second page. If you want to necro a bunch (15+) of threads, space it out over a few days to avoid this.

Finally, don't post to jack up your post count and don't have offtopic conversations in the threads. That is what PMs and the offtopic area are for.

• Upvote 3

I agree with Chekhov. I say it with my past experiences and qualification, as double posts aren't encouraged when talk to friends. but if the boss indicating which forum allow double post, that forum permitted members to do so as special forum is for certain occasion. Usually all members aren't allowed to double post unless they are permitted to do so, it is rare occasion, and it may not happen before.

I was aware every online forums has covered on double post, either on list of rules or announcement of rules they make. I'm avid forum user, I'm not only active in forum here, I was participant of Harry Potter and the writers' forum. (Harry Potter's one is a lot stricter as they are kids' forum. HP HEX is scary with large amount of rules)

I haven't heard of Necroing before, I haven't done it before, but I'm not going to try it. I used to work in forum in the past, but I left the job after I accidentally involve in accident. I still love forums.

• Upvote 1

Try to edit your previous post unless your additional content is substantially different, like you rethought something, or you have new information to add that goes well beyond your previous post. If you are quoting or replying to multiple people, edit your previous post. The one day rule is a good rule of thumb, but I have broken it by posting a self-contained solution to the current case after a separate post replying to someone else. I have also combined people's posts that are separated by more than 24 hours. Just try to be sensible and it will work out.

Well, I kind of love to live my life in the forums in the Anime section (of this forum), and there's a pinned topic there all for the sole purpose of just having a chit-chat/discussion about anime. I do like to post a few thoughts on other anime, so is it possible if I could double post there? Of course, I tend to keep myself away from triple posting or more (since it's actually annoying to see unless it's some game guide, which I doubt someone would post in this forum), so basically, I limit myself only to double posting. Then onwards, whether a completely different thought (or rethought), I'd still keep myself on editing my second post, as triple posting is bad (and I doubt it is legal in any way; do confirm, though).

In short, is it fine to double post there if I put up my thoughts on other anime? And is triple posting completely illegal in any way (unless it's something like a game guide).

Necroing is longer than seven days on this forum, but it doesn't matter. The basic rules are that you should necro a thread rather than start a new one on the same topic. Please only necro old threads when you have something new or thought provoking to add to the discussion. Don't necro threads if you don't have anything more than "I agree/disagree" or "my view of things in one sentence that someone else posted earlier and I didn't see it because I didn't read any of the other posts". Mods aren't going to delete your posts, but it's annoying to find current topics pushed to the second page. If you want to necro a bunch (15+) of threads, space it out over a few days to avoid this.

Yes, yes, I already got this in my said first forum. I got told about this ten times, but took me a hard time understanding since, even though I got around 1000+ posts, I barely see necro'd/revived threads and I keep on asking around, yet nobody seems to answer me, even a mod, so I ended up accidentally necroing a thread.

It took me another few days, too, to get the understanding of a mod. Although I wasn't part of the conversation, he did say something like, "You can necro threads as much as you want as long as it is not <insert 'I agree/disagree' or 'my view of things in one sentence that someone else posted earlier and I didn't see it because I didn't read any of the other posts' posts>, but to add more information and to avoid adding more duplicate topics." It was a gaming forum, so yeah, necroing is rampant there, but I live off in the Off-topic section and it rarely happens. Oh, and the same goes for the Forum Games, right? I see no reason why we should make a new topic, so necroing is pretty legal there, right?

Finally, don't post to jack up your post count and don't have offtopic conversations in the threads. That is what PMs and the offtopic area are for.

Ha, I got told off by different kinds of mods from US to Canada, and took me around 10+ times of scolding to understand what they meant. But unusually, I never got a warning, though I wouldn't think much of the same here in DCW. The mods here are kind of scary, but gentle in a way. @.@ I won't take the risks of breaking the rules.

---

Thanks a lot for your efforts of answering me! I can't actually make up my own decision on what's right or wrong, so I tend to ask other people about it. Sorry if I'm such a bother. :))

I do like to post a few thoughts on other anime, so is it possible if I could double post there?

No. Double post guidelines apply everywhere, including offtopic. Single post whenever able, unless you have a really, really, really good reason not to.

As an addendum, don't double post, even more than a day apart, for the sole purpose of reviving a thread/keep it going. If no one else is interested, the thread needs to stay dead. Blogs are for monologuing, not forums.

• Upvote 1

No. Double post guidelines apply everywhere, including offtopic. Single post whenever able, unless you have a really, really, really good reason not to.

As an addendum, don't double post, even more than a day apart, for the sole purpose of reviving a thread/keep it going. If no one else is interested, the thread needs to stay dead. Blogs are for monologuing, not forums.

I see, thank you.