Detective Conan World
Noir

Anime-This-Season Chat/Discussion

Found this gif on tumblr.  Gaddmmit.  (related to Saber pose)

tumblr_nmdqikM8hn1t5kkqfo1_500.gif

ah yes, rule 34 at its finest

I didn't expect any less from the internet

ufotable had it coming.

c'mon, really?

a scene like that?

it was some screwed up form of fanservice at best

it's hilarious, like, what were they thinking.

haha, sorry again for not being able to contribute to discussion.

I normally don't follow airing anime, and you know my reasons why, ehehe...

ah yes, rule 34 at its finest

I didn't expect any less from the internet

ufotable had it coming.

c'mon, really?

a scene like that?

it was some screwed up form of fanservice at best

it's hilarious, like, what were they thinking.

haha, sorry again for not being able to contribute to discussion.

I normally don't follow airing anime, and you know my reasons why, ehehe...

UBW season 2 episode 1 spoilers, for those sensitive to the small details

Well, you can't really blame ufotable, since they're just following the source material.  The original visual novel was partially a hentai game, but all the fans agree the R-rated scenes are really unarousing.  All-age versions have been released since the original, but it seems the creator, Nasu, took the phrase "sex sells" a bit too literally and just threw in sex scenes for the sake of it, worried that everything else Fate/stay night had to offer wasn't enough to bring in the cash.  There's no plot or character development in those scenes and they serve only to take you out of the atmosphere, freak you out for a bit, and then set you on you way again.  ufotable's at least taken the liberties of removing sex scenes, but since Saber's pose doesn't qualify as sex they thought welp can't hurt, right?  It doesn't really serve a purpose, other than make Caster look, uh, kind of kinky.  I don't agree with the decision to leave that scene in there as it was, but I'll try to overlook it.

well i thought of it

i didt know if someone said i before me 

Yeah, just letting you know, since Gigguk is a rather popular anime YouTuber and most people got the Fate = anime Game of Thrones idea from him.

UBW season 2 episode 1 spoilers, for those sensitive to the small details

Well, you can't really blame ufotable, since they're just following the source material.  The original visual novel was partially a hentai game, but all the fans agree the R-rated scenes are really unarousing.  All-age versions have been released since the original, but it seems the creator, Nasu, took the phrase "sex sells" a bit too literally and just threw in sex scenes for the sake of it, worried that everything else Fate/stay night had to offer wasn't enough to bring in the cash.  There's no plot or character development in those scenes and they serve only to take you out of the atmosphere, freak you out for a bit, and then set you on you way again.  ufotable's at least taken the liberties of removing sex scenes, but since Saber's pose doesn't qualify as sex they thought welp can't hurt, right?  It doesn't really serve a purpose, other than make Caster look, uh, kind of kinky.  I don't agree with the decision to leave that scene in there as it was, but I'll try to overlook it.

LOL, Fate seemed like the kind of series that'd steer away from hentai. But geez, that scene was just... the way Saber was clothed (what happened to her armor...?), her pose, her "captor", even her struggling made the scene much too suggestive. The atmosphere had a sexual innuendo, and as you could tell, the internet responded appropriately. Normally, I wouldn't mind these things since I've been desensitized by the internet far too much, but that scene really caught me off guard. I was rather shocked that this vastly shonen anime took a near 180 degree turn. Out of context, it looks like some messed up BDSM scene, and it was largely unnecessary. And yes, it did make Caster look... kinky.

But whatever. It didn't infringe on my enjoyment of the show, even though it may have seemed that way. The scene just took me by surprise.

Poking this thread because I'm wondering if anyone else is watching Kekkai Sensen on here.

Sooooo... is anybody?

Because if you aren't get to it right now; it's amazballs!

nope

but i am waiting for DB Super and Digimon Tri

"Anime-This-Season Chat/Discussion"

It is neither summer nor autumn yet, Reverend.

karma-tsktsk.gif

Nah, just playing, I don't mind what you post here, just a bit disheartened not many people are watching Kekkai Sensen.

maybe if i were a teen i would watch as much as you but...life

i thought summer season has been moved to may 

You're implying I don't have a life, now are you good sir?!

(Joking, I don't think I have much of a life either)

Honestly though, I've only been watching anime on overdrive because it's senior year of high school.

I'll probably slow myself down when I start college, for the sake of internships and all that jazz.

Psht, May and scientifically June are all spring months.  Though, it was 90 degrees F in some parts of my school today, because we don't have AC, so it sure as hell felt like summer.

Uhhh... anyway, soo... anime?  Is anybody watching any spring anime??

(where did machine go?)

I'm watching a few things from this season! The series I'm watching all seem average except for 2 but I'm really biased towards those ones. this spring season's line up's definitely better than last year's imo

(just a heads up that there might be minor spoilers ahead)

Hibike! Euphonium is a surprisingly nice slice of life anime. I'm kinda past my slice of life phase but this show isn't hard to sit through at all and it's one of the ones I look forward to. I have soft spot for music anime so that's probably why. I keep seeing it compared to K-on but I haven't seen K-on (nor intend to) so I can't really comment on that. I was really pleased with the fact that it didn't seem like this series would have a romantic subplot or anything but then I got to the last maybe like 5 minutes of episode 6... 

.....this doesn't need to happen it's not going to add anything--and to think I was happy with how the male childhood friend was solely sticking to the childhood friend role

Diamond no Ace Season 2.. not really sure why they needed a second season since the first season stopped airing literally 8 days before the second season started. Aside from the first few episodes being recap ep's I'm happy this show is back and I didn't realize how I attached I'd gotten to the characters over the course of watching new episodes week after week until I had to go 3 weeks without any new content. And it's nice to see Eijun back on the mound so early in this season! ...I just wish my two favorite characters got more screen time tumblr_m42qykugn91r58lid.gif the one's even a pitcher but he's ignored almost completely and says maybe 1 line per episode

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 2 Sure-me is pretty much just like the first season. The first season was pretty enjoyable though and even comedic occasionally. I really like that it has short episodes too. I thought Kaori got pregnant towards the end of the first season but whatever

There's also Punchline which is... unique to say the least. I honestly don't really know what this one's about or even where it's going since it kinda did a 180°. I do know that it's like over the top ecchi though to the point where it's almost annoying (maybe that was intentional though since this one's very... flashy (no pun intended)). It's almost kinda used as a plot point though and this one... this one's kinda a mess but it's an entertaining mess that might possibly be kinda going somewhere. The art style used is nice though, kinda reminds me of Kill la Kill's art style. The comedy's kinda raunchy at times too but you can't really expect any other kind of humor with this type of anime. 

Shokugeki no Soma's another ecchi one. I don't have any particular interest in this one but I heard the manga's pretty good so I just decided to pick it up on a whim. The food made in the show makes me a lil sad about the lack of fancy food in my life though. and the foodgasms holy crap *shrugs* it's alright but then again it's not really my taste (pun possibly intended)

Nisekoi: is another second season that's pretty similar to the first season. It's only 12 episodes which is kinda disappointing though. It's just your standard romcom that's executed well and animated nicely. None of the characters are particularly annoying either so that's a plus. 

Ore Monogatari is probably the cutest thing I'm watching at the moment. They're both just so pure. I've kinda steered clear of the shoujo and romance genres so I'm not tired of the sickeningly sweet, gentle first love type of shows as I haven't seen that many of them. I'm actually pretty surprised I like this one as much as I do. And it's nice to see that the male protag has very visible emotions for the main love interest since, from what I've seen, it's usually the female characters that are really vocal, and obvious about their feelings and not so much the male characters. In short, this one's just really cute.

And last but not least is my favorite anime of the season, Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo. I didn't go into this one expecting anything at all and it ended up being the one I look forward to the most week after week. I'm not really one for harem anime but this one's surprisingly good. The only other body switching anime I've seen is Kokoro Connect which I really liked so I'm glad there's something somewhat similar that's also really good. The characters are all pretty likable (at least all of them are thus far), the opening theme is visually very nice and also has a great song, the ending song's not bad either, and the comedy's actually good imo. And there's same sex kisses every once in a while in this anime which while they're mainly for fanservice or comedy or just because it makes me happy that there's not a stigma surrounding them. It's only going to be 12 episodes long but I'm hoping it'll get a second season later on. I'm just hoping the point of there being 7 witches with 7 different powers and the protag being able to temporarily obtain and use those powers will be more important later on than it is in the show currently.

Poking this thread because I'm wondering if anyone else is watching Kekkai Sensen on here.

Sooooo... is anybody?

Because if you aren't get to it right now; it's amazballs!

I've been meaning to look into this series but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet!

tfw we aren't watching many of the same anime

tumblr_lpniho2N2S1qg9lwr.gif

There's also Punchline which is... unique to say the least. I honestly don't really know what this one's about or even where it's going since it kinda did a 180°. I do know that it's like over the top ecchi though to the point where it's almost annoying (maybe that was intentional though since this one's very... flashy (no pun intended)). It's almost kinda used as a plot point though and this one... this one's kinda a mess but it's an entertaining mess that might possibly be kinda going somewhere. The art style used is nice though, kinda reminds me of Kill la Kill's art style. The comedy's kinda raunchy at times too but you can't really expect any other kind of humor with this type of anime. 

Punchline is by far the most underrated show I have ever watched.  It's ranked really low on MAL, and I don't think it's ever going to recover, which is a real shame.  It may seen random and silly and it may not appear to have a coherent or follow-able plot, but there's so much more below the surface. It's not deep like "oh my gosh guise, look at all deez symbols and motifs" but it's just really really really intricate.  The very first episode, distracting and light-hearted as it may have seemed, had already foreshadowed (and continues to foreshadow) a ton of future events.  If you check out the episode discussion boards on its MAL page and on the anime subreddit, you'll find a lot of devoted people analyzing the series, and there are a ton of fan theories that hit the mark.  If you're confused as to what's going on, check those places out; you'll at the very least have a new found appreciation for the amount of effort put into the series, hidden behind all the panty shots.  If you're familiar with the highly-acclaimed Zero Escape games for the DS and 3DS, the director of those games (which are amazing by the way) is responsible for the Punchline script.  999 and Virtue's Last Reward are both known for being super intricate, and I'll admit my mind was having a really difficult wrapping itself around how amazing 999 was after all was said and done.  Look into Punchline more, and you're find there's a lot that you're missing, trust me.

Nisekoi: is another second season that's pretty similar to the first season. It's only 12 episodes which is kinda disappointing though. It's just your standard romcom that's executed well and animated nicely. None of the characters are particularly annoying either so that's a plus. 

Nisekoi is alright, though I think I prefer the first season to the second.  Maybe it's because I've watched a lot of anime between then and now, but the humor isn't tickling me quite as it used to.  Also there is a criminal lack of best girl Onodera (fite me).

Ore Monogatari is probably the cutest thing I'm watching at the moment. They're both just so pure. I've kinda steered clear of the shoujo and romance genres so I'm not tired of the sickeningly sweet, gentle first love type of shows as I haven't seen that many of them. I'm actually pretty surprised I like this one as much as I do. And it's nice to see that the male protag has very visible emotions for the main love interest since, from what I've seen, it's usually the female characters that are really vocal, and obvious about their feelings and not so much the male characters. In short, this one's just really cute.

I remember this anime caught my eye way back when it was first announced to get an adaptation, mainly because the MC's design took me by surprise.  It wasn't very hyped at all going into the season, but it's nice to see it's starting to get the attention it deserves.  I felt the start was a bit slow and shaky, but it's getting better, for sure.  It's sometimes over-the-top, but it's cute and it's something I look forward each week, so there's that.

I've been meaning to look into this series but I haven't quite gotten around to it yet!

Oh gosh, please find time for it!  As of now it's the best anime of the season (sorry UBW, gotta give credit to whoever deserves it the most) and it's rearing to be best anime of the year (at the very least, one of the best anime of the year).  Heck, objectively it's one of the best anime I've ever watched.  It's unique, fast-paced, funny, dynamic, stylish as hell, and has so far done everything right.  I can't get enough of this anime, it really is amazing.  Awesome characters, amazing music, great animation, the whole nine yards.  Only thing that might bother people is that it's episodic, but seriously for a 12 episode anime it's not like you'll get bored of it (unless you're easily distracted or something, I dunno).  It's underrated (not nearly as much as Punchline) but more and more people are starting to warm up to it, which is really cool to see. 

I'm only watching two series this season, I'm just not interested with the others. Haha. I'll post my opinions I guess.

Grisaia no Meikyuu - I haven't read Meikyuu since it hasn't been localized yet but the 45 minute special they did was hella better than what they did with Kajitsu. It was a bit too short imo, but a good adaption nonetheless.

Oregairu. Zoku - I think they're doing a good job of adapting the novel. There are parts which are left out but it's not that important. The art style is to my liking, better than the first one imo. They're doing well with capturing the emotions of the characters especially xxxx (Spoilers, I guess.).

Oh and lots of mangas I read are getting anime adaptions damn. Watched the first episode of Denpa Kyoushi and what can I say? It's not as interesting as the manga. The art is not as good as the other two I've listed above but it's no biggie. The story though, it feels like TWGOK ang GTO combined and voila! Badass teacher with harem tendency. I guess my taste had changed, it's quite a while since I last read the manga but now it feels a bit too generic? 

As much as I enjoy reading the manga, I don't feel like watching Nisekoi, Shokugeki no Soma andYamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo.

Punchline is by far the most underrated show I have ever watched.  It's ranked really low on MAL, and I don't think it's ever going to recover, which is a real shame.  It may seen random and silly and it may not appear to have a coherent or follow-able plot, but there's so much more below the surface. It's not deep like "oh my gosh guise, look at all deez symbols and motifs" but it's just really really really intricate.  The very first episode, distracting and light-hearted as it may have seemed, had already foreshadowed (and continues to foreshadow) a ton of future events.  If you check out the episode discussion boards on its MAL page and on the anime subreddit, you'll find a lot of devoted people analyzing the series, and there are a ton of fan theories that hit the mark.  If you're confused as to what's going on, check those places out; you'll at the very least have a new found appreciation for the amount of effort put into the series, hidden behind all the panty shots.  If you're familiar with the highly-acclaimed Zero Escape games for the DS and 3DS, the director of those games (which are amazing by the way) is responsible for the Punchline script.  999 and Virtue's Last Reward are both known for being super intricate, and I'll admit my mind was having a really difficult wrapping itself around how amazing 999 was after all was said and done.  Look into Punchline more, and you're find there's a lot that you're missing, trust me.

Nisekoi is alright, though I think I prefer the first season to the second.  Maybe it's because I've watched a lot of anime between then and now, but the humor isn't tickling me quite as it used to.  Also there is a criminal lack of best girl Onodera (fite me).

I remember this anime caught my eye way back when it was first announced to get an adaptation, mainly because the MC's design took me by surprise.  It wasn't very hyped at all going into the season, but it's nice to see it's starting to get the attention it deserves.  I felt the start was a bit slow and shaky, but it's getting better, for sure.  It's sometimes over-the-top, but it's cute and it's something I look forward each week, so there's that.

Oh gosh, please find time for it!  As of now it's the best anime of the season (sorry UBW, gotta give credit to whoever deserves it the most) and it's rearing to be best anime of the year (at the very least, one of the best anime of the year).  Heck, objectively it's one of the best anime I've ever watched.  It's unique, fast-paced, funny, dynamic, stylish as hell, and has so far done everything right.  I can't get enough of this anime, it really is amazing.  Awesome characters, amazing music, great animation, the whole nine yards.  Only thing that might bother people is that it's episodic, but seriously for a 12 episode anime it's not like you'll get bored of it (unless you're easily distracted or something, I dunno).  It's underrated (not nearly as much as Punchline) but more and more people are starting to warm up to it, which is really cool to see. 

...Might have to go back over Punchline at some point. I'm tempted to do so now since there wouldn't be that much to rewatch and because I don't particularly enjoy rewatching things.... I'll definitely read through some of episode analyses though! 

--I've heard of those games! They look really good but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I'll keep that in mind for if/when I start them.

There's an even worse lack of Tsugumi, th actul bst grl, in Nisekoi (too bad she has no chance at all with Raku sighs)

The humor isn't quite up my alley either but it's not awful enough that it's annoying. I think, at least thus far, I like the first season more as well.

OM's protag's design is one of the things that drew me to the series as well. The beginning was a tad slow but it has, imo, been getting better with every episode! I hope Suna and Yamato will get more character development later on though. 

...You make a convincing point. The fact that it's episodic is really appealing too. I'm a little hesitant about it though since one of its listed genres is "vampire". But the few gifs I've seen from the ending have really intrigued me. Depending on how much homework I get this coming week I might start it. Considering how much you're and a couple people I follow on tumblr are liking it, I'm surprised it's not getting much recognition but c'est la vie.

Oregairu. Zoku - I think they're doing a good job of adapting the novel. There are parts which are left out but it's not that important. The art style is to my liking, better than the first one imo. They're doing well with capturing the emotions of the characters especially xxxx (Spoilers, I guess.).

Call me crazy, but I preferred season one's art style even though season two's animation, detail, and consistency is significantly improved.

--I've heard of those games! They look really good but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet. I'll keep that in mind for if/when I start them.

There's an even worse lack of Tsugumi, th actul bst grl, in Nisekoi (too bad she has no chance at all with Raku sighs)

The humor isn't quite up my alley either but it's not awful enough that it's annoying. I think, at least thus far, I like the first season more as well.

...You make a convincing point. The fact that it's episodic is really appealing too. I'm a little hesitant about it though since one of its listed genres is "vampire". But the few gifs I've seen from the ending have really intrigued me. Depending on how much homework I get this coming week I might start it. Considering how much you're and a couple people I follow on tumblr are liking it, I'm surprised it's not getting much recognition but c'est la vie.

You should definitely check them out, so I'm glad you're considering them.

Well, I'll give you that, Tsugumi's pretty good, too.  I only put Onodera ahead of her because of my bias for Kana Hanazawa's voice, haha.

The "vampire" aspect of the show is very very minimal, so I really don't think it'll prove to be a problem at all.  Nothing at all like Owari no Seraph, rest assured.  It's a quick watch, so either pick it up now and catch up with the airing episodes or just wait for it to finish.  It's good you're also interested in it though; it's an anime that definitely deserves more attention.  If you end up liking it, be sure to spread the word!

And you're also watching Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, right?  I think it's alright, some episodes are hit, others are miss, but overall it's pretty fun.  I'm only not ragging on it too much because Nagisa Shiota is an awesome character and he's kinda cute (no homo, I swear).  It looks like a second season as already been confirmed, so I guess it won't hurt to check it out.

Call me crazy, but I preferred season one's art style even though season two's animation, detail, and consistency is significantly improved.

Not really. Some of the guys I talked to at another forum said they preferred season one's art too. To each his own, I guess. I really miss Hachiman's dead fish-eyes though.

______

Here I am still waiting for Heaven's Feel. Damn.

edit - Tsugumi should be one of the heroines. Now she's becoming more or less a side character. :|

Not really. Some of the guys I talked to at another forum said they preferred season one's art too. To each his own, I guess. I really miss Hachiman's dead fish-eyes though.

True, it just feels like Hachiman's personality isn't being expressed in the same way as it was before.

Here I am still waiting for Heaven's Feel. Damn.

I know right??  I wish we could just have a release date for the movie(s), because being left with only a preview trailer and a promo poster is getting me super anxious.  For now, UBW is keeping me satiated, and when summer comes around I'll get to the Kara no Kyoukai movies, which I've been saving.  I just hope ufotable's other project, God Eater, doesn't delay Heaven's Feel too much.  Regardless, I'm still super hyped for it!  

4ijs1YF.gif

Let us just be thankful it's even going to be a thing (RIP Fate route).

edit - Tsugumi should be one of the heroines. Now she's becoming more or less a side character. :|

Anything would be better than Chitoge, honestly.

True, it just feels like Hachiman's personality isn't being expressed in the same way as it was before.

Well, judging from the latest volume I'd say he's toned down. Should have saved it for later though.

I know right??  I wish we could just have a release date for the movie(s), because being left with only a preview trailer and a promo poster is getting me super anxious.  For now, UBW is keeping me satiated, and when summer comes around I'll get to the Kara no Kyoukai movies, which I've been saving.  I just hope ufotable's other project, God Eater, doesn't delay Heaven's Feel too much.  Regardless, I'm still super hyped for it!  

Let us just be thankful it's even going to be a thing (RIP Fate route).

I swear, if they're not going to release it this year. *sigh* And I don't think they can cover up the whole route in just one movie, or else it'd feel rushed a la UBW 2010. That'd be some major cliffhanger though, if the first movie only contains half of HF.

And I still believe ufotable's saving Fate for last. Or else it'd be gruesome, with the true route having a shit adaption and nothing else.

I can't find myself liking Onodera so...

I swear, if they're not going to release it this year. *sigh* And I don't think they can cover up the whole route in just one movie, or else it'd feel rushed a la UBW 2010. That'd be some major cliffhanger though, if the first movie only contains half of HF.

And I still believe ufotable's saving Fate for last. Or else it'd be gruesome, with the true route having a shit adaption and nothing else.

I think most fans agree that ufotable will either give HF the Kara no Kyoukai treatment, with 7-ish movies spanning the course of over two and a half years, or split it into two 2.5 hour movies with a major cliffhanger in the middle (I haven't played the visual novels, so I'm not too sure what this cliffhanger is) and a lot of the slice of life scenes cut out.  They realize the 2010 UBW movie was a bad idea, so I doubt they'd be silly enough to shoot themselves in the foot with a lazy one-movie adaptation.

And I hate to break it to you, but in an interview ufotable said there were no plans to adapt Fate.  They said they "respected" Studio Deen's 2006 loose adaptation, which is a load of bs considering they gave away the Fate route for free on mobile devices or something after they announced they would be adapting UBW about a year back.  After people watch UBW and Heaven's Feel, Fate wouldn't feel right at the end, especially since it was originally intended to be played first.  The only way Fate would get an adaptation is if they incorporated a ton of anime original scenes and changed up some aspects, even more so than the current UBW is doing.  At least, that's what people are saying.  Also, didn't Nasu confirm in an interview somewhere that there is no "true" route?  He said that they're all alternate universes of each other, each of them equally as legitimate and real as the others.  He said no route should be singled out as the "true" events of Fate/stay night.

I wish I could provide you links to these interview, but that's what I gathered from stalking the threads on MyAnimeList and the Fate/stay night subreddit these past few months when I finally got around to diving into the franchise.

I can't find myself liking Onodera so...

1409865713906s.jpg

W-we were getting along so well...  I'm sorry, but I don't think we can be friends anymore...

I'm just joshing.  I only prefer Onodera because I have this huge bias for Kana Hanazawa's voice.

I just got caught up in Punchline and holycra p

canon transgender protag--!!

You should definitely check them out, so I'm glad you're considering them.

Well, I'll give you that, Tsugumi's pretty good, too.  I only put Onodera ahead of her because of my bias for Kana Hanazawa's voice, haha.

The "vampire" aspect of the show is very very minimal, so I really don't think it'll prove to be a problem at all.  Nothing at all like Owari no Seraph, rest assured.  It's a quick watch, so either pick it up now and catch up with the airing episodes or just wait for it to finish.  It's good you're also interested in it though; it's an anime that definitely deserves more attention.  If you end up liking it, be sure to spread the word!

And you're also watching Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, right?  I think it's alright, some episodes are hit, others are miss, but overall it's pretty fun.  I'm only not ragging on it too much because Nagisa Shiota is an awesome character and he's kinda cute (no homo, I swear).  It looks like a second season as already been confirmed, so I guess it won't hurt to check it out.

Ah I see. I've liked characters mainly because of their voice actors too *cough*kaneki*cough* 

Knowing the vampire part doesn't play too big a role in the show is reassuring. I didn't even make it through the first ep of Owari no Seraph so knowing they're not similar is nice. It's good to know it's easy to sit through too since my attention span's pretty worn out by the time I get around to watching anime. And I usually end up telling my friends about series I enjoy so if I like this one I'll more than likely end up doing so haha

I am watching Ansatsu Kyoushitsu! It is entertaining to watch even though some episodes are a bit of a drag to sit through. I actually didn't see that a second season had been announced! I hope it won't air too long after the first season ends since I've gotten used to looking forward to new episodes of it every Friday.

Nagisa is pretty cute (...so much so the entire first episode I thought he was a cute girl) and his bloodlust is really interesting especially considering the contrast it has with his appearance. Karma, Koro-sensei, and the other two teachers (whose names I'm forgetting) are also interesting characters. I hope they'll get more character development in the future since as of right now their personalities and backgrounds haven't really been expanded upon. (...or if they have I just don't remember :x)

agreed, she's very underappreciated tumblr_nooiqqazEG1qivk0so1_75sq.png

Chitoge's alright imo. Marika's the one I personally can't stand tumblr_m42qykugn91r58lid.gif

I think most fans agree that ufotable will either give HF the Kara no Kyoukai treatment, with 7-ish movies spanning the course of over two and a half years, or split it into two 2.5 hour movies with a major cliffhanger in the middle (I haven't played the visual novels, so I'm not too sure what this cliffhanger is) and a lot of the slice of life scenes cut out.  They realize the 2010 UBW movie was a bad idea, so I doubt they'd be silly enough to shoot themselves in the foot with a lazy one-movie adaptation.

And I hate to break it to you, but in an interview ufotable said there were no plans to adapt Fate.  They said they "respected" Studio Deen's 2006 loose adaptation, which is a load of bs considering they gave away the Fate route for free on mobile devices or something after they announced they would be adapting UBW about a year back.  After people watch UBW and Heaven's Feel, Fate wouldn't feel right at the end, especially since it was originally intended to be played first.  The only way Fate would get an adaptation is if they incorporated a ton of anime original scenes and changed up some aspects, even more so than the current UBW is doing.  At least, that's what people are saying.  Also, didn't Nasu confirm in an interview somewhere that there is no "true" route?  He said that they're all alternate universes of each other, each of them equally as legitimate and real as the others.  He said no route should be singled out as the "true" events of Fate/stay night.

I wish I could provide you links to these interview, but that's what I gathered from stalking the threads on MyAnimeList and the Fate/stay night subreddit these past few months when I finally got around to diving into the franchise.

Not really the biggest fan here, so I really didn't know these details hahaha.

Well, in my opinion Fate is the closest to being a "true" route, because after finishing the three routes you'll get an extra epilogue for Fate. And also because Saber's the cover girl. That's just my view on things though, if Nasu says there's no true route then there isn't lol. Just that it's the closest for me and it having a shit adaption is a crime.

As for Heaven's Feel I think a two part movie would be better rather than dragging it on for seven parts, so that it wouldn't feel too lackluster. Five hours is enough imo.

Marika's kinda okay-ish? Well, kinda annoying but not as annoying as Chitoge. Onodera I just can't stand from the start, sorry.

I am watching Ansatsu Kyoushitsu! It is entertaining to watch even though some episodes are a bit of a drag to sit through. I actually didn't see that a second season had been announced! I hope it won't air too long after the first season ends since I've gotten used to looking forward to new episodes of it every Friday.

Nagisa is pretty cute (...so much so the entire first episode I thought he was a cute girl) and his bloodlust is really interesting especially considering the contrast it has with his appearance. Karma, Koro-sensei, and the other two teachers (whose names I'm forgetting) are also interesting characters. I hope they'll get more character development in the future since as of right now their personalities and backgrounds haven't really been expanded upon. (...or if they have I just don't remember :x)

Ah geez, I thought he was a girl too, so when I realized he was a guy my heart was kinda left in limbo, haha.  Some of the other students were developed in an episode or two.  I know the baseball guy, some of the thuggier looking dudes, the pretty girl with long black hair, and a couple other characters had their brief time to shine.  I wouldn't really mind it if the series continued to focus on Nagisa (he's cute after all) and Karma and the teachers though.  I might get bored of them soon, in the same way I feel like I'm starting to get bored of Nisekoi's cast, but I guess we'll see if it comes to that.

Marika's kinda okay-ish? Well, kinda annoying but not as annoying as Chitoge. Onodera I just can't stand from the start, sorry.

Aww well, to each his own.

(Nobody's posted here in nearly 2 months, so I think this double post is justified.)

The spring season has come and gone (kind of...) so I might as well post my final thoughts on all the series I'd watched.  Everything is listed from favorite to least favorite.

1. Kekkai Sensen - What a bloody masterpiece.  The characters are great, the humor is fresh, the animation is clean, the art is nice, and most of all the music is amazing.  This is a rule of cool anime with a style and atmosphere that is hard to match, and has become one of my favorite anime of all time.  The references to American pop culture from the 90s and 80s are crazy.  There was an allusion that flashed across the screen in less than a second, and it referenced a movie so old and so obscure I wouldn't have noticed it if someone on reddit didn't point it out.  That's how intricate this series is.  There is so much care and thought put into every little scene, and the directing is top notch.  The last episode has actually been delayed, because they made it too long to fit in a standard 30 minute broadcast window, which has caused some trouble for the television station.  The fact that they'd rather delay an uncut, above and beyond finale instead of quickly air a rushed and incomplete version, not giving a damn about how angry the station would be, goes to show just how dedicated these people are to making a quality series, instead of one to just earn them a paycheck.  These guys deserve a medal, and I anticipate the release of episode 12, whenever that may be.  Kekkai Sensen is episodic, which may turn off some people, but I'd still recommend it over most anime I've watched.  AOTY right here.

2. Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Season 2 - Sighhh, you had one job Miura and ufotable.  All you had to do was continue doing what you did right the first season, and this would have been a golden series.  Unfortunately, the second season of UBW was plagued with poorly directly and animated scenes, making the original source material look worse than it should be.  Some parts got really predictable, and none of the plot twists hit me like they should have.  The good parts were great, don't get me wrong, but the bad parts were... just really bad.  A bit of a disappointment, but all in all it's still one of the better anime you can choose to watch.  If you haven't already, I recommend watching Fate/Zero before jumping into UBW.

3. Ore Monogatari!! - This series isn't even over as it carries into the summer season, but I feel like I've seen enough to talk about it and fairly rank it against the spring season.  This shoujo anime that dares to be different by having a character like Takeo is really good.  It's funny, easy to relate to, over the top, and just a lot of cute fun.  I'm not always for romance, but the characters are so unique and dynamic that it's hard not to like them.  Madhouse did an amazing job animating this series, and though some moments may look a little off, the lighting and color makes up for it.  If you're sick and tired of the standard rom-coms that have saturated the anime industry, give this series a chance.  It's definitely something you've never seen before and worth a shot.

4. Plastic Memories - Anime originals are always hit or miss, and luckily this series was more good than bad.  Though it's arguably pretty predictable, I was still moved by it enough to enjoy the ride.  Some may say the humor ruins the melancholy atmosphere, but personally I thought it added more to the series than the humor in Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso did.  The animation is clean and consistent, and while no single character stood out the ensemble as the whole made up for it.  Will this futuristic world of robot humans give you feels?  Maybe.  Check it out if you're in the mood for it.

5. Punch Line - The underrated and misunderstood anime written by the man behind the Zero Escape series, this anime was a mix of both good and bad.  The animation didn't always hold up and the characters weren't easy to relate to and the humor wasn't always the greatest, but the series is intricate and dark and deeper than it seems on face value.  Beneath the fanservice and panty shots lies a story with a lot of thought put into it.  Not nearly as much as a Zero Escape game, but still more than you average ecchi series.  For those willing to analyze and think more while watching a series, give this one a shot.  Otherwise, I'd recommend you ignore this and move on.

6. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu - Almost forgot, but this was a leftover from the winter season.  AssClass ended up being an alright anime.  It was shounen and predictable, but it's easy to like and follow and definitely isn't a bad anime.  The premise is interesting, the art and lighting is superb, and the music isn't half bad.  Only a few characters are anything special, but they carry the anime fine.  Good if you're looking for a shounen, but if you seek something a bit more groundbreaking than this isn't the show for you. 

7. Nisekoi: - Goddamnit Nisekoi, I expected more from you.  I knew there wasn't going to be any plot, since that's all manga readers complain about, but gees even the mindless slice of life humor isn't nearly as good as the first season's.  Apart from an amazing episode 10 and 11 (seriously, episode 10 especially got me more emotional than I'd like to admit), every other episode fell far below my expectations.  If you watched the first season, it doesn't hurt to watch the second, I guess. Just don't expect it to be as good as the first, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

8. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku - Really digging the improved animation, but not really keen on the art and character design change.  I was never a huge fan of Oregairu, but since I had seen the first season and since there didn't see to a be an amazing line up this spring I gave it a shot.  As expected, I didn't really like this series that much.  The apparently deep and complex dialogue was clumsy and forced, the characters weren't likable at all (fine, maybe I'm a bit salty Saika Tostuka got almost no screen time), and for the most part each episode was snooze fest.  The tension and dramatic parts felt poorly executed and I couldn't really care less about the internal struggles of the characters.  If this had just stayed a fun, light-hearted rom-com, I would have liked it more.  It tried to be more than it was, and fell flat on its face.

9. Owari no Seraph - Another anime trying to ride on the success of Naked Giants: The Animation, Owari no Seraph is bad.  Honestly, there are no redeeming factors.  Sawano only worked on a few tracks so the OST isn't even that great.  Wit Studio must be running out of money or something, because the animation for the most part was just really poor.  The directing is bad, the characters are corny and easy to hate, the plot is terrible, and I've accidentally nodded off more times during this series than I usually do in an average week of physics class (and my teacher was godawful).  I'll still be watching the second season when it comes out, because (like Aldnoah.Zero) I'm willing to give the conclusion a chance even if I have very little faith in it.

10. Triage X - This anime is trash and never redeemed itself.  It's just gratuitous fanservice that guys don't even like, since breasts the size of watermelons that are suspended by invisible strings are as good of a turn on as watching a laggy video buffer.  I only watched it because I expected a spiritual successor to Highschool of the Dead, which, even with the excess of fanservice, was at least well animated and directed.  Triage X had poor animation and weak directing, and the plot was so forgettable, I can't remember anything past the initial premise on MAL.  How did it end?  I dunno, don't ask me, I wasn't paying attention.  Don't watch this, please.  You'd be better off literally watching garbage rot.

And that's it for the spring season!  I'll be watching more summer anime than spring anime, only because it's summer break and I have more time.  I've seen most first episodes, and would really like to post my initial impressions as soon as possible, so if a kind soul could just post something mildly on topic after reading this that would be awesome!

--

EDIT: Almost forgot I watched Assassination Classroom.  Added it to the list.

Edited by Akazora
  • Upvote 1

welp, I started on the new season of Hetalia

it was awful

my full thoughts are in the other thread

and while I said that I was finished with my summer bingeing, I completely forgot that the sequel to Little Witch Academia aired not too long ago

so I made an exception, hehehehe...........

the Disney vibes were strong in this one

the characters were so imaginative and bubbly and I loved every single one of them

I had the stupidest grin on my face while watching this

the plot and concepts are so simple, but the art/animation, music, and dialogue made everything alive

it was so colorful

it was so wonderful

IT WAS SO MAGICAL

oh, and #tbt to the second season of Fate/stay night 

Somethings+just+dont+change+8+years+and+

I didn't think there was going to be anything particularly good about this summer season, but forced myself to pick up things I wouldn't otherwise have watched, because hey why not?  It's summer break and I might as well go all out!  Somehow, I found myself pleasantly surprised by... everything I watched.  Usually I have clearly defined "good first impressions" and "bad first impressions", but everything that's come out so far seems to be of relatively equal quality for now.  By the end of the season I'll be able to more easily list them in order from good to bad, but for now I'm not comfortable with doing that so I'll just list them alphabetically.

Charlotte - Jun Maeda and Key and PA Works have joined forced once again to give us the Angel Beats 2.0 we were all hoping for in the form of Charlotte!  From the theme song singers to the animation to the character designs to the unmistakable form of storytelling to the humor, Angel Beats and Charlotte are so almost unbelievably similar.  Right off the bat, I must say that if you enjoyed Angel Beats you'll love Charlotte.  For everyone else, this is an anime you might want to give a chance.  It's pretty funny and the animation is clean.  The plot and characters aren't too unique quite just yet (though the MC almost seems like a Lelouch parody), but given this is an anime original show it has potential to break barriers given some time.  This is a safe bet for people who are looking for a slice of life with a bit of a darker twist.  Let's see if Jun Maeda can live up to his own hype.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! - Silver Link must be borrowing money from ufotable, because their animation of this series is just getting better and better.  The third season of this mahou shoujou Fate spin-off looks even better than the second, which was already a huge step up from the quality of the first.  This gets off to a nice, light-hearted start, and while the loli yuri undertones oh who am I kidding: straight up loli yuri themes, may turn off those easily ticked by fan service, everything else about the series is pretty good.  The characters are brighter, bubbly versions of all your favorite (and potentially least favorite) Fate characters, the music is decent, and the humor is solid.  With the improved animation, I have high hopes for the future action scenes, no doubt.  Check this series out (starting with the first season of course, not this one) if you're caught up with the Fate series anime and want to watch an alternate universe of Fuyuki City without the Fifth Grail War.

Gakkou Gurashi! - I cannot say what makes this show bad or good without spoiling.  Therefore, if you're reading this and want to try your luck, go into this show blind.  Do not look up a synopsis, do not Google any images, and do not read reviews, or else you will be spoiled.  Just go to where ever you usually watch anime, find this series, and watch the first episode.  It's only 24 minutes of your time.  If you don't like it, fine, just drop it.  But if you like what you see after the episode finishes, then you'll be in for quite the ride.

Gangsta. - It is what it sounds like: an anime about gangsters.  If you're a bit sick of the moe blobs and bubbly slice of life, then this show may be for you.  An edgy seinen with Black Lagoon vibes, the animation is decent and the art is stylish.  The music isn't too shabby, and the themes are on the dark side.  There are some hints of supernatural-ish aspects in the future episodes, and for now it's standard rule of cool fun.  Worth a shot.

Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri - I know I said most of my first impressions were at about the same level, but if there's any weak link in the chain then it's this one.  While far from the worst anime I've seen, it feels like it might go down the path of SAO or Aldnoah.Zero.  The animation is clean and the premise is mildly interesting, but it has a very high potential to turn into a fan servicey harem.  For a "military" anime, the military and political tactics are kind of shallow, so don't expect awesome mind games or anything.  Might be a good show for someone new to the field of anime, but experienced watchers should tread carefully.

God Eater - The prescreening and first episode was canceled and delayed respectively, so could ufotable not have Unlimited Budget Works after all?  Regardless of how much they're struggling, the first episode looking good enough.  The art is very different from what you'd expect from an anime, but it's something I could get used to.  The slow mo scenes and interesting transitions are stylish, too.  From the looks of it, I wouldn't expect UBW level fight scenes, but that doesn't mean they're bad either.  The plot and characters aren't anything special for now, but there's potential here.

Prison School - As someone who considered reading the manga, I was quite pleased to see this get an anime adaptation.  I have trouble keeping up with manga, unlike with anime which I'm always on top of.  It was all that I expected and more.  Or rather, I didn't know what I was expecting to find, but whatever it was, it was good.  While it might seem like blatant ecchi, it understands how ridiculous it is and embraces it.  Over the top and funny, the anime throws unbelievable scenarios at your face.  Unapologetic, this parody-like anime is perfect for those who are looking for an R-rated laugh.

Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace - It isn't very often we get an mystery anime, especially not one with detectives in it.  Maybe DCW will appreciate this show?  To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Edogawa Ranpo's death, this anime presents a detective show heavily influenced by Ranpo's works.  Dark, twisted, sexual, and unnerving, this show isn't about your every day locked room murder mystery.  Ranpo himself was fond of having bisexual or homosexual themes in his stories, and that's reflected and portrayed correctly by the MC in Game of Laplace, who is a boy that is frankly so feminine it makes Nagisa Shiota look manly.  If you're in the mood for mystery and want to watch an artistic and symbolic take on the genre, then this show is for you.

Rokka no Yuusha - If you're looking to go on an adventure, this is might be the anime you're looking for.  A tale of six chosen heroes that must slay a demon, the tried and true premise contains enough twists down the line that make this show one to keep an eye on.  With an interesting art style, superb action sequences, and a unique fantasy world, Rokka no Yuusha is rearing to be the Bahatmut Genesis of this season.  As long as it maintains its quality and ends well, this pretty-much-for-everyone show may end up being the sleeper hit of the summer.

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai - Do you like dirty jokes?  How would you feel if dirty and sexual words were banned?  This comedic ecchi show explores that crazy premise.  Filled with more dirty jokes than you'd expect to find in a television series, this show will either make you realize you aren't such a pervert after all (or that maybe you're more of a pervert than you thought).  All in good fun, if you want to watch Sex Joke: The Animation but have something against Seitokai Yakuindomo, this is definitely something to check out.

Ushio to Tora - Do you feel that all modern anime suck and that you wished you could go back to the old days?  Or are you feeling a bit nostalgic and want to go back to the 90s?  If so, then Ushio to Tora is the anime for you.  Based off of the manga of the same name, the 90s vibe will hit you like a ton of bricks.  If you don't believe me, then just watch the opening.  If that isn't the old-school-iest thing you've watched today, then I don't know what decade you're living in.  It keeps the atmosphere of the original in the same way Hellsing Ultimate and Monster stayed true to their manga counterparts.  While the characters and premise are "cliche", if you take into consideration the first chapter is 25 years old this anime isn't all too shabby.  Check it out for a blast to the past.

Working!!! - It's so rare for there to be a third season of any anime, so it's nice that Working got one.  While not my favorite slice of life, the second season grew on me and I've anticipated the third one since.  If you enjoyed the first two seasons, you're going to like this one as well.  Picking up right where it left off, the animation is familiar and the pacing and characters are consistent.  The opening is still bubbly and best character Maya Matsumoto is still not speaking (until the last episode, most likely).  I don't think is series is going to be spectacular, but it'll be a fun a relaxing watch at least.

--

Edit: Added in initial impressions for Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! 

Edited by Akazora
  • Upvote 1