Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Kyuu Nye

Defining Character Traits

A while back on DCTP I wrote a short essay-esque reply to someone attacking my negative opinion about Shinichi. So being the good scientist that I am I wrote a reply defending my position with evidence from the series. So just now I thought it would be a nice idea to make a topic listing all of the apparent character traits of the main cast of DC (yes, I'll likely be making one in DCTP as well). And trying to track development of the characters, because in a series this long there should be some development of characters, barring a few staples that shouldn't change (IE Agasa and Megure).

I put this in Manga so that people can discuss current changes or trends in the manga that aren't animated yet.

So let me begin real quickly with a the two principle characters...

Shinichi

Positive:

-Highly moral in his actions (though this doesn't prevent him from breaking any laws, which could be a topic of itself)

-Intelligent

-Quick to take action if something is wrong

-Cares deeply about those close to him

Negative:

-Arrogant

-Egotistical

-(as Conan) Sometimes too quick to action endangering himself and others

-Disregards the worries or warnings of others (especially Haibara)

-Can be cold hearted

Note: When he is acting as Conan, the first two negative traits become lessened greatly. Though as the series progresses his arrogance shows up more and more as Conan, especially if he is only with the DBoys.

Progress throughout the series: As he gains experience, he evolves as a character (Shinichi in his teenage body). Every time he transforms he seems to mature a bit. He still tends to be a bit arrogant and egotistical, but due to his situation he progressively becomes less so. And in his latest transformation he finally told Ran his feelings, which is a big step for his character.

Ran

Positive:

-Extremely kindhearted

-Believes in the good of others

-Is a karate champion

-Has a strong will (has to be to wait that long for a guy)

-Is EXTREMELY lucky

Negative:

-Is naive

-Easily scared

-Can't seem to adapt to seeing death (really bad considering who her father and boyfriend are)

-Freezes up or seems to forget that she knows Karate in high stress situations

-Believes too highly in the supernatural

Note: for the negative with Karate, it is my belief that this is so because she only learned sports Karate, and not practical. Therefore she was never trained to deal with those situations. Though she can use it when others are in danger, she doesn't often when herself is in danger, especially if she believes it is supernatural in nature.

Also, her naivety seems to be her most sticking negative trait along with the belief in the supernatural.

Progress in the series: Honestly, with the negative she hasn't progressed all that much. Her emotional side is the only thing that has progressed, but it is so erratic that I can't put it as a positive or a negative. Ran is a very two dimensional character. She should have progressed more, but I suppose that would hinder her purpose in the series which seems to change from case to case.

Lets do other characters and discuss various progresses or changes. Also, if anyone wants to add to or discuss character traits set forth by others, that would be awesome.

This seems to be a very fair critique, something that I would note most specifically about Ran is that her belief in the supernatural is extremely common for the Japanese people. So while it can be a downfall, please remember it is pretty common place and her belief in the supernatural usually doesn't affect her in dangerous situations.

I would like to ask though why you think he's cold hearted. Yes, he does tend to brush off girls that like him but don't you think it's rather that he's think headed than cold hearted? In previous episodes we see that a girl on his soccer team liked him, in that case his eyes were soo set on Ran, he didn't notice her affections. I think this is the case with the many little girls who like him. He's just oblivious because he likes Ran. That's one member's opinion though.

"-Can't seem to adapt to seeing death (really bad considering who her father and boyfriend are)"

I think this isn't necessarily negative.

Sure, her dad and conan/shinichi are detectives, so they shouldn't panic and adapt to seeing deaths/murder. But she's not, she's just his child/ a friend.

So if my dad would be diffusing bombs for his job, it wouldn't mean I too would need to keep my cool seeing bombs.

She's shocked when she sees someone murdered, which is a horrible crime. I don't think she's so much shocked about death but more to the fact that it was a murder.

If someone collapsed or get's in danger, she actually has a cool head and is able to help. Like the case where Sonoko rolled down a cliff and she smashed the window.

And then there was the case with Hakuba, Conan and Heiji. For Hakuba, he didn't want to defile the crime scene in one episode, while Heiji and Conan wanted to make sure if that person is actually dead or if they are still able to safe the person. So in that case, Hakuba's adapting to death is rather negative, because he forgets life.

So for Ran, not adapting to death is also rather positive than negative, because it's not her job to adapt to them and she's being more "humane" that way. (Not sure if I used the right word here :V)