Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Senpai

Could you?

. . . I don't think it would be necessary to create a whole new thread for this,

that's why I chose the Off-Topic section. (:

So I am thinking about writing a Fanfic, a big one.

I've read a lot on here so far but I could still need some tips from pro's like you ;]

FYI, I've wrote alot of Stories when I was younger but I never wrote a big one in english only in german. [:

I mean, my english's pretty good but when it comes to writing dialogues, it's getting a bit hard for me :b

That's why I am asking for a bit help. [:

First off, what kind of fanfic? A lot of us are willing to help, we just need to know what you need help with. I can beta for you; ask Moho for a reference if you need it. If it's ConAi though, I'll be more reluctant. You should go to Kiel for that. Anything else though, and I can do it. More details please! *eager to know story*

I don't have a solid story yet. ;b

Well, I just need tips on how to write dialogues and express emotions.

I don't really know how I should write it like what kind of words should I use and stuff (lol). o.ó

Im talking nonsense, it sounds stupid. But I hope you know what I mean :b

And btw. I want to write a real case and dont worry, it wont be ConAi [:

For me, it's always cold, hard, steel, writing. Don't beat around the bush, get to the point.

For a mystery, be as detailed as possible.

And I myself suck at expressing emotions through characters, so I'm not the best advisor on that.

But for stories, imagery takes everything. Similes, metaphors, allusions, they paint the picture in a very unique way.

A general rule of thumb of mine is not to clog it up with descriptions. While having no descriptors is worse, having too much slows down the stories.

Hm... Like Aya-chan said above, it depends what type of story. If you've read my story "Into the Detective Conan", you'll probably know I'm more of a humorous person and I try to portray emotion the best I can.

However, if you want things to REALLY make sense and want readers wanting more, talk to Pyre. She can write and AMAZING story, such as Taken. I LOVE IT!! It's very good. Or, you could just write something and post it, then we'll tell you what we think!! :D

I hope I helped... At least a little... :P

Writing dialogues and expressing emotions?

Well.. put yourself in the character's world. Try to imagine their mindset in the situation you've put them in. Fanfics are great because they offer reference anime or manga -wise on how certain characters react.

If you need different word choices, you can always use a thesaurus.

She was scared.

vs.

She was terrified.

After that there's better word choice plus describing what's going on with the person.

She was absolutely terrified. Her hands trembled as she handed over the item. The girl's legs were weak and a cold sweat dripped down her face. She smiled weakly, futilely attempting to mask her fear. "Here. I hope it suits your needs." The shakiness of her voice betrayed her feelings and the man grinned maliciously.

vs.

She was scared. She handed over the item, fearing for her life. "Here. I hope it suits your needs." The man grinned.

If you need help with an individual text once you get it done, I can help you if you want. Just remember to slow down and take your time to build up a moment in the way you want it.

Hm... Like Aya-chan said above, it depends what type of story. If you've read my story "Into the Detective Conan", you'll probably know I'm more of a humorous person and I try to portray emotion the best I can.

However, if you want things to REALLY make sense and want readers wanting more, talk to Pyre. She can write and AMAZING story, such as Taken. I LOVE IT!! It's very good. Or, you could just write something and post it, then we'll tell you what we think!! :D

I hope I helped... At least a little... :P

O.o I'm not that good of a writer...oh, and you had a typo in there. Sorry. Just my writer's mind taking over again.

Writing dialogues and expressing emotions?

Well.. put yourself in the character's world. Try to imagine their mindset in the situation you've put them in. Fanfics are great because they offer reference anime or manga -wise on how certain characters react.

If you need different word choices, you can always use a thesaurus.

She was scared.

vs.

She was terrified.

After that there's better word choice plus describing what's going on with the person.

She was absolutely terrified. Her hands trembled as she handed over the item. The girl's legs were weak and a cold sweat dripped down her face. She smiled weakly, futilely attempting to mask her fear. "Here. I hope it suits your needs." The shakiness of her voice betrayed her feelings and the man grinned maliciously.

vs.

She was scared. She handed over the item, fearing for her life. "Here. I hope it suits your needs." The man grinned.

If you need help with an individual text once you get it done, I can help you if you want. Just remember to slow down and take your time to build up a moment in the way you want it.

Hmm, true.

1. DESCRIPTION. I don't care how amazing your dialogue is, a story isn't complete without description. How am I supposed to know what Conan's basement looks like?

2. EMOTION. No emotion, no story. i hate stories without emotion. Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em.

3. DIALOGUE. Despite emotion and description being the most important (I think emotion is slightly more important, but I can't be sure), dialogue is often needed. So, do try to include some.

4. THE THESAURUS. The thesaurus is one of my best friends. It's the one that holds the key to treasures of the world. Like Forever said above, use it as much as you like.

5. RESEARCH. The essential part of any story. To confirm any beliefs you've stated in your story, you must have research. This is especially needed in Adventure stories. You want to make sure your info is correct. Usually, I * the points and then write a bit about them at the bottom where the Author's note is. If you were writing an angst fic or something like that, this isn't required, since angst is more about emotions, which is why research is at the bottom. Research makes your story much more realistic.

6. REPEATING YOURSELF. Gah. I hate it, absolutely hate it when someone repeats the same adjective/adverb in a sentence. I'm being slightly hypocritical, but you should strive to get rid of all errors.

7. BETA. This is important. It's at the bottom, because it's likely the last (or rather, second last) thing you'll be doing. GET A BETA. They help so much. They catch most of your errors and flaws, including spelling and grammar, not to mention plot devices. There are a few very good ones out there.

8. EDIT. CHECK. DO IT. I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH YOU HATE CHECKING YOUR TESTS, DO IT. I AM HORRIBLE WITH CHECKING MY TESTS, BUT I PAINSTAKINGLY GO OVER MY STORY AT LEAST 3 TIMES FOR CHECKING BEFORE AND AFTER I SEND IT TO MY BETA. THIS IS ESSENTIAL. IF THAT SENTENCE REQUIRES YOU TO READ OVER IT SEVERAL TIMES FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND (excluding riddles and such) THE READER WON'T GET IT EITHER.

There's probably more I could add, but first, it would mainly be for people using FF.net, and second, it would probably tire you out. So I'm just gonna give you my top 8 rules.

Oh, and good luck.

in many cases, the thesaurus can be one of your best friends (especially if you find yourself using certain words repeatedly)

but... always be wise with your word choice. even if you're concerned about a phrase being overly simplified or repetitive, think about the idea you're trying to convey - you may find that your first instinct really does sound better than the version that came out of the thesaurus

Well, this is how I write stories:

I live in it.

think how it's going to be if you are actually in it.

Think of the perspective of that character and answer these questions.

What do you see?

What do you feel?

How do you fell?

What would you do?

Why would you do that?

etc...