Detective Conan World
dw5chaosfan

Should the DC series end? Longer or shorter DC?

longer or shorter series  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want DC to go past or stay at this year?

• go past this year
    • stop at this year

ok, the fact that the series is going to end anyway is not a justification to let it go on for years. i don't even see how in the world that makes any sense at all. if i have to make a comparison here – bear in mind i suck at these – it's like not closing a hole in the dam justifying that all the water's going to come out anyway.

let me tell you what i think of this. if an author keeps dragging out a story, i am eventually going to think that the guy can't write an ending. and that's a horrible shame, because endings are probably the single most important aspect of any story. gosho can do cliffhangers, but i'm beginning to think he can't write an ending. and if that idea starts spreading, what ends up happening is that the series starts being called a cash-cow franchise, with all the negative implications that brings. even if gosho wants to end the series at that point – it's too profitable, no one's cutting the cord on that. ok, this applies strictly to television and stuff, but by dragging out a series needlessly, you can poison it.

let's be frank, dc has been repeating the same patterns over and over again, with the occasional dash of plot. even exceptionally written filler gets boring. it's just how it works. and when stuff gets repetitive and boring, people stop liking it. you're not just poisoning the series, you're killing your own fan base by dragging out series needlessly. i don't know if this is how this actually works – maybe i'm actually completely wrong – but regardless i don't see any good in dragging out any series any further than it should.

now, here's the thing. i don't think dc had a bad premise. i think the writing was good. i think the mystery aspect of the show was one of its key drawing points. but nothing stays fresh forever. if gosho capitalized on what he created sooner and closed the series earlier, i think it would have been much better for everybody. and perhaps, because how the story itself is shaped (3-file cases), the story is prone to getting staler sooner. 

so, yes, it must end.

• Upvote 1

I remember a comic dialogue at the end of one of the episodes--I think it was either in the late 400s or early 500s--in which one of the characters commented that the show had reached the halfway point. It may or may not have been intended as a joke, but seeing how the show is approaching 750 episodes, it does not seem implausible. I am hoping it goes up to exactly 1,000 episodes (a nice round number). I doubt that it will go far beyond that anyway. 

ok, the fact that the series is going to end anyway is not a justification to let it go on for years. i don't even see how in the world that makes any sense at all. if i have to make a comparison here – bear in mind i suck at these – it's like not closing a hole in the dam justifying that all the water's going to come out anyway.

I remember being rather surprised when I found out that DC wasn't the longest running anime show—it's not even in the top 10.

let me tell you what i think of this. if an author keeps dragging out a story, i am eventually going to think that the guy can't write an ending. and that's a horrible shame, because endings are probably the single most important aspect of any story. gosho can do cliffhangers, but i'm beginning to think he can't write an ending. and if that idea starts spreading, what ends up happening is that the series starts being called a cash-cow franchise, with all the negative implications that brings. even if gosho wants to end the series at that point – it's too profitable, no one's cutting the cord on that. ok, this applies strictly to television and stuff, but by dragging out a series needlessly, you can poison it.

For my part, I think that Mr. Aoyama is well capable of writing a satisfying grand finale, regardless of whether he keeps dragging out the story or not. The arcs and the feature films give one a good reason to think that he is not lacking in that department.

Speaking as a fan, I think DC became a golden goose years ago. As you say, it's too profitable. Think of all the manga volumes! The DVDs! The video games! The dozens of J-pop and J-rock bands that have lent their music to the show! The all-star cast! The toys and accessories! The frozen treats! I'd have a hard time bringing this ride to an end myself, were I behind the wheel.

In addition to being a pop culture icon, Conan is practically an institution right now. (You've probably seen the statues that adorn some spots in Japan.) He's like the 2D poster boy for law and order, possibly even conservative politics at large!

I suspect that these are some of the reasons why Mr. Aoyama hasn't ended the series, not because he is incapable of going beyond cliffhangers.

DC is in a situation that is to some extent comparable to The Simpsons, except that the latter doesn't have an overarching plot and therefore does not *have* to end, ever. 

let's be frank, dc has been repeating the same patterns over and over again, with the occasional dash of plot. even exceptionally written filler gets boring. it's just how it works. and when stuff gets repetitive and boring, people stop liking it. you're not just poisoning the series, you're killing your own fan base by dragging out series needlessly. i don't know if this is how this actually works – maybe i'm actually completely wrong – but regardless i don't see any good in dragging out any series any further than it should.

Point well taken. Off the top of my head, I'd guess that maybe 85% of the series is filler, if not more.

I wouldn't worry about killing the fanbase with repetition—there will always be people who want more. The thing is that people love the characters and want to continue seeing them breathing, walking, and talking. Again, one could make a comparison with The Simpsons.

if gosho capitalized on what he created sooner and closed the series earlier, i think it would have been much better for everybody.

It would've been much better for everybody in that they would've had more nights left over to do other things XD. During my first two years of watching this show, I would sometimes watch upwards of 10 episodes or more in a day in order to catch up. Recently there was a Sunday on which I burned through 26 episodes.

Maybe it’s the fact that I discovered the series relatively recently (about 4 years ago), but having watched most of the episodes that have been released so far, I’m going to have to say that I don’t really mind it having dragged on this long. For one thing, the “delays” have bought time for new characters to be introduced and developed. For another, the fact that it’s still in ongoing status means that it still has novelty, or at least the room for novelty. There is still the fun of speculation and anticipation because there are still questions that no one knows the answer to. Not just peripheral questions, but the questions that just about everyone is anxious to find out the answers to. In other words, DC is still a part of current events, so to speak.

so, yes, it must end.

All good things must come to an end sooner or later, whether it be something like the Breaking Bad TV series or Brian Eno's musical career. I just hope DC ends with a bang that justifies the buildup comprising 746 episodes and counting. But I doubt one needs to tell the author that. I am quite confident that he knows what he's doing ;)