Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

What Manga Are You Currently Reading?

Platinum End

Haven't heard of it before?  Well, that's because it was just revealed less than two hours ago.  It's Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's newest work, the same duo who made Death Note and Bakuman.  I usually don't read manga, but I'll definitely be checking this out as it's released.

THEY'RE BACK.

I just finished Orange by Takano Ichigo tumblr_m42quperIZ1r58lid.jpg

As glad as I am it didn't drag on, I wish it had been longer. Aside from the main couple and the other guy who... they didn't make a love triangle per se, but I guess but that's the closet thing to call it, but aside from those three, the other three characters were pretty ignored. The main characters are a friend group of six, we only got to know 2 of the guys and the main girl; I only know the third guy's name because he was comic relief sometimes. I don't remember the other girls's names and they weren't really given much to them at all which is a shame. It was pretty cheesy at times and a little predictable occasionally, but it was still really good. I have a couple little problems with it but they're really just nitpicks and didn't keep me from enjoying the story too much. I enjoyed it a lot though, it was a pretty emotional little manga. 

Now to go read something a little happier......

I doubt anyone here has any interest in reading any of these, but to be safe, here's a spoiler warning anyway. Apologies in advance for any and all grammar errors and also sorry that this is so long

I read some tragic, gay manga

I recently completed three short, dramatic and occasionally melancholic manga, with strong homosexual themes that are set in European, same sex boarding schools, and were published in the 1970s.

these are compared to Kaze to Ki no Uta a lot because it shares a lot of similarities with quite a few of these and being that I started reading KazeKi almost a year ago, it's just my frame of reference for these things

Shiroi Heya no Futari

I have no idea what time period this is set in. The main character's parents died in a car accident (the car pictured looked somewhat modern and there are fairly modern airplanes too) but the school and some of the clothes look like they're supposed to be from the turn of the century. And the main character had a dream where her mother told her to cover her shoulders so she wouldn't catch a cold. Her roommate, and love interest, is wearing pants though. The 50s or 60s maybe???? Who knows, but that aside--

It's forgettable. I wasn't expecting to like this one, but this is from way back when both shoujo-ai and shounen-ai were directed at female audiences, so I thought that maybe because of that, it'd appeal to me in ways I wasn't expecting, but this just isn't a good manga to form an opinion of early shoujo-ai on. The art also isn't very good. The characters actually look kinda scary in some panels. The art style being very dated is not in and of itself a negative, but the art here just isn't appealing. It was also hard to follow occasionally. Like the last chapter had a sudden short time skip. The whole thing was less than 100 pages and I guess it was alright for that length. The characters weren't really developed much at all and, to be blunt, they're somewhat similar to Kaze to Ki no Uta's main couple, but that was to be expected.

TL;DR  didn't like it, but it wasn't absolutely terrible

Natsu e no Tobira

This one's just categorized as one chapter but it's actually only 10 pages shorter than Shiroi, which was split into 4 chapters. This one's by the same author as Kaze to Ki no Uta and gives off a similar feeling which is a plus in my book. I like Takamiya Keiko's art in KazeKi and I like it here as well. I particularly like Jacques' character design. The main character, Marion, kinda looks like Gilbert from KazeKi,  maybe the author just has "a type" when it comes to how some of her main characters look. Personality wise, Marion and Gilbert are very different though, so I can't complain too much. It seems to be set in the same time period and setting as KazeKi, which is in France sometime between the 1870s and 1910s. Also like KazeKi, some of the adult characters are kinda shitty. (the adults in KazeKi are 10x worse but it's worth noting that they're not particularly great in both)

I liked this one quite a bit actually. I'm more than likely biased towards it, but for only being 75 pages, it was surprisingly good. I thoroughly enjoyed all the angst that Natsu had to offer. It felt like too much was going on at times though. The ending also felt very abrupt, but for the most part, it was an enjoyable ride. I do feel that this shouldn't really be considered "shounen-ai" though. Two of the friends are vying for the same girl who has eyes for the protag, and the main character has an "affair" (if you could call it that) with an older, married woman. The implied gay kid isn't even revealed until the latter half of the story and shortly after the reveal, he dies so nothing more really came out of it. I did read this while I was tired though, so maybe I just missed some subtext or gay undertones or something because assuming I didn't, I can't see why this would be categorized as shounen-ai aside from Takamiya Keiko being known for doing manga with gay couples. (I think her best known work might even be KazeKi) 

TL;DR overall, I liked it. Will have to read it again to come to a less biased conclusion though. 

edit: Decided to rewatch the KazeKi ova on youtube and saw in the recommended videos that there's apparently a Natsu ova. I'm assuming it'll be much like KazeKi's ova and not be very good and feel incredibly dated. Unlike KazeKi, Natsu's very short though so maybe the ova will be alright since it'll hopefully have the entire story and not a bastardized version of it.

Thomas no Shinzo

Due to length, this one's under a spoiler

Unlike the other two which were set in France, Thomas no Shinzo takes place in a German boarding school and actually uses some German occasionally. (KazeKi, Shiroi, and Natsu never had any French in them aside from town names so seeing the native language used is pretty cool, especially since I can understand some of it) I actually messed up when reading this one. Shortly after starting Shinzo, I ended up on the wikipedia page when looking to see if the main character's name meant something in German as it's a pretty peculiar name. (I mean, who would name their character Julusmole without a good reason, right?) I was skimming the page when the one character's last name caught my eye. Eric's last name, "Fruhling", is the German word for spring (as in the season). When I saw how short the character summaries were, I read them not thinking too much about it and accidentally came across spoilers. While spoiling yourself isn't fun, knowing this an early shounen-ai from the 70s, and knowing KazeKi (which I will both consciously and unconsciously be comparing Shinzo to quite frequently), the spoilers aren't very surprising. After seeing what themes the author regularly used in her other works, makes the spoilers even less surprising too. I wish I hadn't been spoiled, but knowing about the one character's past actually doesn't bother me too much because while I know the big reveal at the end, I still experienced the story for the first time. I actually find filling in the all the holes from point A - point B to be kinda fun, it also makes the journey a lot more emotional too because what I might have initially branded as angst, I can now recognize as something much deeper. And seeing how that deeper thing affects the character and the characters around him is something that can be super interesting and enjoyable if done well.

In comparison to the last two, this one's a lot gayer. I went from unrequited lesbian love, to one with virtually 0 gay characters, to this one where the entire cast is seemingly gay or at least bi. This one's quite a bit longer than the previous two, it's 8 chapters long and the chapters vary in length anywhere from 40 to 90 pages. Shinzo's plot is a lot, lot better than both Natsu's and Shiroi's. The story's interesting, most of the character's are fleshed out, the psychological aspect is done well, and the emotions don't feel empty.

It's not very realistic, not that I expected it to be, but there's just minor things here and there that are weirdly incorrect or feel out of place. A lot of that stems from the exact time period not being stated. I'm guessing this is supposed to take place in the 1920s or early 1930s; maybe 1910s at the earliest. I'm mainly getting those numbers from how the one mother, who wasn't able to conceive with her husband, mentioned that there were "other methods" available. Artificial insemination was around in the early 1900s. My 5min research showed that one of the first humans born from AI was in 1917, and being that the main characters are 14/15, it'd land in 30s. And when stating where they were from, the characters would clarify if their town was in the west or east so that also gives some indication as to when Shinzo might take place. Also, the German cult classic Mädchen in Uniform (pretty alright old movie if you ask me, well.. y'know aside from the whole student/teacher relationship thing.. that was kinda weird) came out in 1931 and shares quite a few similarities with Shinzo, so that's even more reason to believe this might be set in the early 30s. As said earlier though, this isn't historically accurate much at all so I can only speculate, but not knowing the time period in stories is a pet peeve of mine.

The art is stereotypical 1970s shoujo. It almost feels cliche how vintage this manga looks. I don't like it as much as Natsu's art, but it's a hell of a lot better than Shiroi's. Some of the characters seem to suffer from same face syndrome with the characters's hair being their defining feature. It's not a huge flaw but having to take a second to think about who's talking every couple pages or after I take a break from reading is a little irritating.

As for the characters, our main three are Julusmole Bayhan (aka Juli), Oscar Reiser, and Eric Fruhling. Thomas Werner is also kinda a main character, but because he commits suicide in the very beginning of the manga and we learn about him through other characters, I'm not going to group him in with the main trio despite him playing a major role in the plot. Thomas died shortly before classes resumed at their school following their Easter break. The morning classes were set to resume is when Juli received Thomas's will. The letter is basically Thomas saying how he loved Juli and wasn't able to understand why Juli rejected him so many times. Juli becomes very haunted by his young admirer's last words and continues to write off Thomas's repeated confessing as a prank. His roommate, Oscar, noticed he'd already been acting strangely and now with the whole Thomas thing, he'd been acting even more weirdly. Shortly after, Eric arrives as a new student to the school. Eric and Thomas look uncannily similar and as a result, Eric is constantly compared to Thomas. Unlike Thomas, Eric is blunt, rude, and loud (and he also had/has a bit of an Oedipus complex). Thomas on the other hand was adored by many and was well liked and just generally very kind. Then the story continues on as we follow Juli, Oscar, and Eric as we find out more about what happened to Juli over break and shortly before. Both Oscar and Eric care deeply for Juli and have crushes on him; they both want to help Juli overcome his trauma so he can move on. Oscar's method is to wait until Juli's ready to ask for help, meanwhile Eric wants Juli to be upfront about what's upsetting him. For a good part of the story, Eric is very frustrated and has trouble understanding why Juli would rather suffer in silence than just speak up. Eric gets even more perplexed by this when he visits Juli's home and sees how his grandmother treats him. Juli's biracial, which considering when this approximately takes place, is not that great of a thing. For the most part, he's treated no different than the other kids, but his grandmother has a pretty prejudice view of him and his father. She often compares him to his younger sister who looks a lot like their 100% German mother. Juli explains towards the end that part of the reason he is such a stickler and doesn't bring unnecessary attention towards himself (which explains why he didn't speak up about sexually and physically abused) is so he can remain being seen as a model student despite his appearance. He knows that if he gives them a reason, someone will use that one reason to tear him down for all the reasons they don't like him, one of those reasons possibly being his race. Juli later admits that he did love Thomas back but because he was abused, he viewed himself as unworthy of any sort of love. Juli distances himself and falls into something akin to a depression as a result. This mentality unfortunately isn't completely fictional and it reminds me a lot of how some sex ed classes in the US are and how it shames teenagers, usually girls "for not staying pure" Though it's not a complete parallel, Juli is a very pious boy, the manga intentionally uses the phrase "he used me" and similarly worded phrases to show that Juli is blaming himself for what happens and that because of it, he is no longer the same "pure" being that he once was. It's actually pretty saddening if you think about it. 

TL;DR I was hesitant to start this one but it ended up being my favorite by far. It's not for everyone by any means for multiple reasons, but I enjoyed a lot more than I thought I would. The last chapter was a bit disappointing as it was set up like completely differently from how the rest of the manga was, but it didn't take away from overall experience too much. I would've liked to have known what happened to Oscar and Juli too since the last chapter followed mainly Eric. 

I also read two other short series that would more accurately be described as being under the gender-bender genre, rather than shoujo-ai (or to be more progressive/accurate, these could just be under the romance genre since, at least the one, has a canon transgender protagonist and that makes any and all relationships in the story heterosexual (at least from the protag's viewpoint)). However, even calling them gender-bender could misleading since most things in said genre have cross-dressing, masculine female characters, feminine male characters, traps, etc and basically just characters that say "screw gender roles" and what not. Those characters don't always fall under LGBT+ though, or if they do, they're usually not transgender. Hence, grouping characters that are actually transgender, and are shown to have gender identity disorder, in with characters that are cisgender, is a little confusing. Unlike shounan-ai and shoujo-ai, main characters that are transgender aren't very common so it's understandable why there isn't a sub-genre dedicated for stories with trans characters, and while the gender-bender genre is the closest thing to such a genre, it still seems a little off.

under a spoiler because this post is almost unbearably long without one

Claudine...!

Claudine...! is by the same author who wrote Rose of Versailles. I haven't read or watched that yet so I can't make any comparisons, but it's worth noting that the two probably have some similarities. 

Claudine...! was published in the 1970s, like the first three, but has a very different art style. The first three had, for lack of a better word,  a softer look. The art in Claudine...! is very angular. The hair is also bigger and more emphasized. Like most of the others, the time period is ambiguous. The cars look very 40s, but going off when transgender people started being recognized more, it seems like this could also have been set in the 50s or 60s. Claudine...! takes place in France though, I'm only really familiar with how the 50s and 60s aesthetically looked in the US, I also don't know how transgender people were treated in France in the early/mid 1900s. Late 40s/early 50s is probably the best guess though.

This was a surprisingly nice read. I wasn't particularly enthralled by the story nor did I care for any of the characters but despite that, reading this wasn't hard. Claudine...!'s just over 100 pages which makes it longer than both Natsu and Shiroi. Like Natsu's, Claudine...!'s ending felt very sudden. The story moved along pretty quickly the whole time. Over the course of the manga, Claudine falls in love and gets his heart broken three times and also finds out a family secret. Each time, Claudine fell very hard for the three love interests, and every time, the relationship didn't work out. While heartbreak is the main element of the story, Claudine being transgender is another huge aspect. Throughout the story, Claudine is referred to as a "her", even by the psychologist his mother takes him to uses she/her. However, at the end of the story, the psychologist uses the word "transsexual" to describe Claduine as he understood him more by that point. ("Transsexual" is a bit outdated by today's standards, and to some it even means something different than transgender, but in this context, they are synonyms) Claudine's mother mentions at one point that Claudine is called "Claude" by his friends though no characters the reader actually meets calls him this. Claudine struggles with the phrase "(But) ...You're a girl." as it invalidates him. Albeit dramatic, seeing Claudine react in such a way is nice as it is a somewhat accurate way of how transgender individuals feel when misgendered on purpose. 

TL;DR I liked this one. I wish it had contained more aspects of Claudine's life though as it just went from one heartbreak to another and it would've been interesting to see what happened in the downtime between everything. I wish we had gotten to know the other characters better too. 

Paros no Ken

For the sake of simplicity, I'm gonna use they/them when referencing Erminia. Their gender is purposely not cut and dry. Erminia's thing is that they have the heart of a man, but the body of a woman, therefore making them a combination of both male and female or neither male nor female depending on how you view that sort of thing. Erminia states multiple times that they feel as though they should've been born as a man, they also are shown to be elated when their love interest, Fiona, refers to Eriminia as her prince. However, Eriminia is in touch with their feminine side to a surprising degree. They don't mind being called "lady princess" by all the maids and they accept their femininity when it comes out. They also say things that come across as though they more so loathe the gender roles they're expected to fill as a result of being born as a girl of royal rank, rather than loathing that they're born female. Hating that you're expected to marry young and produce an heir because you were born a girl (and a gay girl at that) rather than a boy who would've become king and gotten a wife is different than actually feeling like you were born in the wrong body. The line between those two is oddly blurry in this manga though. To make an easy comparison, Claudine reacted very strongly when he was expected to act like a girl and was called one. For transgender people, having others use the correct pronouns is very important as it validates them and shows that others see them for how they really feel and accept them. Pronouns and gendered language don't always mean the person in question is that implied gender, but that's a newer line of thought, and one that's still gaining understanding and acceptance because most of the time, pronouns do correctly indicate the person in question's gender. Even though this manga is older, pronouns are very big thing with transpeople. Claudine...! used she/her pronouns, but because it was presented so blatantly that Claudine is actually a transmale, it's not as big of a negative, confusing thing as it is here.

Paros no Ken is actually quite a bit different from the other series on my list. It not only was published about a decade after everything else here, it doesn't take place in 1800s/1900s Europe either. The setting is the fictional country of Paros in the year 870. The country has a bit of a medieval feel to it and has very strong Roman/Greek influences. Towards the end especially, the manga gives off some strong Romeo and Juliet vibes (after reading all of these I've noticed that this is not exactly an uncommon theme). I wouldn't say most the things on my little list here had great endings, but this one had the most bullshit one of all. I didn't really get into this one, to be blunt, I wasn't particularly fond of any of the characters, Erminia was especially dislikable in the beginning, but even so, what an awful ending. --I wouldn't even call what happened an ending, it just left you hanging with a "And uh... once night fell they were never seen again and no one knows what happened to 'em. teh end" Until the end it was fairly alright. The drama wasn't bad and it was an easy read. I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to continue with this one despite it being the second longest series I read. (Shinzo has one less chapter than Paros technically, but on average Shinzo had longer chapters). ...Truthfully, this wasn't half bad despite it not going as in depth as I would've liked, but that ending just left a super bad taste in my mouth.

TL;DR Nothing particularly noteworthy here, would be a suitable time killer if it weren't for that ending

• Upvote 1

Just read Wind Breaker (manhwa) and Shokugeki no Soma, both were pretty amazing.  -_-

And it's amazing how this forum thread survived for 4 years lol.

I am reading Prison School.

God help me ;-;

If the anime doesn't get a second season, I swear to god....  It was an amazing show and I hear the manga is even better.

--

Death Note x Mirai Nikki

Platinum End

Finished reading 2 mangas: Nana and Monster

Nana is not completed. It is such a twisted manga... But I really relate to a character in this manga: Reira. Hope there will be a happy ending because I don't like tragedy b...

Monster... Johan Liebert will be a name that I'll never forget. He put the villain guy in Psycho Pass to shame.

Anyone reading Boku Dake ga Inai Machi a.k.a. ERASED?

I found out about it through the anime which started airing in January and it reminded me of Detective Conan, only it's the seinen version, but it's really good ;)

I found out about it through the anime which started airing in January and it reminded me of Detective Conan, only it's the seinen version, but it's really good ;)

I'm reading it, though I will not spoil myself, I will only read up to the latest episode, I just want to know the differences.

I'm watching the anime, but I may check out the manga after the anime ends to see some of the differences.  I'll probably still prefer the anime for the superior directing (ep. 2 spoilers).

Originally, I wanted to do something similar to my previous post, but instead of old, LGBT+ shoujo manga, it'd be with stuff from the gender bender genre. However, it's surprisingly hard to find things in that genre that were fairly short, and actually seemed worth reading, and I kinda lost interest once I realized that. I did read two things that are worth mentioning though

Shishunki Bitter Change

This one's still publishing, so I can't give any final thoughts, but of the 30 chapters (of the 35 or so that are currently available) I've read so far, I like it a lot! The two main characters. Yuuta and Yui, swapped bodies as 4th graders, and the story follows them trying to live their lives as the other loosely wants it to be, so if/when they're able to switch back, they'll feel as back to normal as possible. To be honest, this is pretty dang cute. Judging by the comments on the manga site I use, it sounds like romance gets thrown into the mix later (I wonder just how that'll work), but as of where I am, it's been mostly them stumbling through adolesence, school, and them giving each other regular updates about what's going on with their social lives, families, etc. The manga itself has a candid air about it, and a lot of the more comedic moments stem from the fact that they are so straightforward with each other. I have a fairly dry sense of humor though, so this kind of awkward and slightly relatable humor connects pretty well with me. It's also really interesting to see this manga tackle the issue of the two mains having trouble being mindful of their switched bodies. Like Yui occasionally forgets that her kindness towards female classmates has the chance of coming off differently than she intended now that she's in the midst of adolesence and in Yuuta's body, and Yuuta sometimes forgets that Yui has a quiet, thoughtful, feminine personality and appearance, and doesn't always think before speaking. It's pretty cool how they have moments where they feel newfound respect/admiration/understanding for the other because they now see things from the other's point of view too. I also think it's really neat that one of the aspects of the story is of them trying to understand the opposite sex, while technically being the opposite sex, especially since they occasionally have moments of not even fully understanding the same sex. It seems like it'll cover sexuality a little bit too since the main characters are both presumably straight, and with their situation, that makes things a bit tricky. The middle school arc focused more on Yuuta adapting to being in Yui's body, and it seems like high school will focus more on Yui dealing with more of the emotional and mental side of things, as opposed to physical stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how everything progresses.

Like this one a lot, really hope it won't drag on for too long because I'd love to stick with this one all the way through. Definitely recommend if you like coming of age stuff

Reverisble!

the one sentence long summary on MAL intrigued me and I wanted to see how it would handle the plot

I also wanted to see just how long the main characters would be adament about being 100% straight. hint: not very long at all

And I can't really tell who the targeted demographic is supposed to be. Gay men? Women? The bisexuals? People with school girl and/or guys in skirts fetishes? Who even knows

Nothing particularly notable about this one, but it was kinda funny at times. Around the halfway point it shifted tones quite a bit and got slightly more serious. (Not like, "there's an actual problem and things are at stake" serious, but it wasn't as fanservice-y as it used to be and started putting the main focus on the plot) The characters were likable and the occasional "romance heavy" (using that phrase lightly here) scenes were kinda really nice. I'm genuinely confused about the age of the characters though. At one point in the year over the manga takes place, the main characters are intimidated by upperclassmen, but when spring rolled around three of the characters were graduating??? Also, because the school offers both middle and high school, the main character rooms with persumably an 8th or 9th grader and that's kinda weird. And the last chapter has a sudden x year time skip and showed that all the characters are in college, so if the three were 11th graders, and the other kid a ninth grader, and the youngest is described as "now a college student" implying they're a freshman after the time skip, it's been about 4 years then...? Maybe the main character was only at the school one year, and that's why they called it a "graduation" ....? idk, though it bugs me it's not that big of a deal

Ending happened really fast (there's only 15 chapters so that was to be expected), but the main two ultimately became canon so I can't complain. The fanservice was kinda uncomfortable because of the ambiguous ages, but overall, did sorta enjoy

I plan to finish Gakuen Alice over summer break (I read it around 4 years ago but I never got to finish it because of academic stuff)

I also plan to read Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden (which I also started reading a few years back but never got to finish)

Also Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Shokugeki no Soma, and Tsubasa Chronicles. 

(school often ruins my manga-reading plans)

Manga I currently read is quite extensive, which includes the following:

Detective Conan

A Certain Scientific Railgun

Ancient Magus Bride

Kyokou Suiri

Yona of the Dawn

Q.E.D

C.M.B

Case Study of Vanitas

Started reading Devilman.

I've only read the first volume, so I don't really have an opinion of it yet, but it's hilarious sometimes, even though it's not trying to be.

On 7/2/2017 at 4:21 PM, Ryo said:

It's been awhile since I started a new manga, if anyone has recommendations, please let me know!

Are there any specific genres you're interested in?

15 hours ago, machine said:

Are there any specific genres you're interested in?

I like mystery, sports, sci-fi, just to name a few. I'm open to different genres though. Also I haven't seen you around here in awhile, nice to see you! :D

I currently have five manga that are still going that I actively follow.

1.) Detective Conan

2.) Seven Deadly Sins

3.) Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card Arc

4.) xxxHolic Rei

5.) Magic Kaito

Unfortunately, CLAMP has gotten a little slow with their releases of late, and Aoyama-sensei hardly ever does anything with Kaito, but I at least have Conan and Seven Deadly Sins to look forward to (nearly) every week.