Detective Conan World
Akazora

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Just read A Study in Scarlet and The Sign of the Four. Why didn't I read Sherlock Holmes earlier? :|

The first will always be my favorite.  Completely mind blowing reading this as a kid.

A week ago, I decided to pick up on Sarah J. Maas' YA high-fantasy novels.

It freaking ruined my life when I realized I had to wait a whole 30 days for the newest installment to come out.

Just watch me writhe in pain, guys... I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I think I've managed to drag myself out of complete fangirl phase after forcing myself to read some contemporaries (Anna and the French Kiss and Fangirl... Fitting, haha), but still. It's too awesome. The first book was meh, emphasizing more on the flimsy love triangle than the action than I would've liked, but the Crown of Midnight completely blew me off my feet. So much action *cough*gottalovethosesliceanddicescenes*cough*, so much character development, and so many quotable passages. And then there was the Heir of Fire, which may or may not have leaved in a sobbing mess. I mean, Rowan. And Aedion. And Aelin. And Dorian. Oh gosh, that ending with Dorian completely shattered me.

I also want to mention that I used my imagined "Dorian" person to stand in as St. Clair from Anna and the French Kiss because I really needed to get the image of a stubby dude with punk rock hair out of my head. That turned out better than expected. I mean, of the two of them, St. Clair's the one more vocal about his daddy issues, but Dorian's dad beheaded his girlfriend in front of him and made him the unwilling mortal host for evil demon princes from another dimension. So yeah. Loved it when I could imagine Dorian living an adorable life in Paris with a British accent.

I need fellow fangirls. And help. Pls.

Whistling Vivaldi by Claude M. Steele

Required reading for Case Western freshman as well as, like, apparently a lot of other universities, this book was okay.  Nothing to rave about and a bit repetitive, it brings up some pretty interesting ideas on inequality and bias and social stigmas though.  I don't know, not much else to say.

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

It took me a while to get into it since I'm not accustomed to first-person present-tense, but it was worth it. The medieval assassin nun heroine is a unique and I like the fact that the romance is steady and reasonable, but the way one of the conflicts was resolved... 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Most beautiful prose I've ever seen, period. The way Laini Taylor describes Prague, the chimaera and nephilim, and Eretz tricks you into thinking you're there in that setting and bathing in some holy light. The characters were a bit too perfect, but the ending won me over (huge cliffhanger, but brilliant).

At the moment I am reading Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. My brother recommended it to me, and I do think it's great, although few things are bothering me such as the characters. They're too "cartoonish", the kind of characters you'd expect to see in a Disney movie or an anime. And the main character kind of seems too good to be true, despite him being a cripple. Otherwise a fine and entertaining story. (:

The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, in anticipation to the movie that's coming out soon. I made the mistake of watching The Mazerunner and The Scorch Trials before reading the book, and I make it my mission to never go into the book-to-film adaptations blind again.

To All The Boys I've Loved Before and P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han. Perfect if you're a teenage girl trying to make sense of all the teenage stuff and drama going on. Tons of stuff about family, love, and friendship without super heavy drama. I love it. <3

How to dress for success - Edith Head

The book was written long time ago, so the advice in dressing sometimes are outdated. However, many advice still holds value and I love the humorous way of wrting of this celebrity stylist.

The book looks very cute too :3

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas. I mean. I just. I can't. Stop. No. Too many times have I had a mental/emotional meltdown from reading this book. This series just gets better and better with each installment -- it starts off Hunger Game-esque and cliched and then it morphs into an epic fantasy with multiple intertwining plot lines. Heads roll so often I've lost count and all the main characters are in some sort of mortal danger. It's fantastic.

Currently reading Garth Nix's Sabriel. The writing style really conveys the fantasy feel whilst remaining unconvoluted and comprehensible, even more so than Laini Taylor's imo. And I'm loving the necromancers.

I had to read Bertolt Brecht's The Good Person of Szechuan for a paper, and even though it's technically a play it was surprisingly good.  Now, about that essay.........

​Pygmalion ​by George Bernard Shaw. I liked that you could hear the actual accents at work in the movie, but Eliza was far less annoying in the play.

Sorry for the double-post, but it's been almost a month since my last one—

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's about a thief and his gang, the Gentlemen Bastards, who specialize in robbing the wealthy nobles by donning disguises and scheming like Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Catch Me If You Can. There's a lot of complex plots and subplots and backstabbing and wordbuilding, and the narrative is gritty and hilarious at the same time.

Am I making sense? I don't know. I really love this book, but I don't know anyone who's read it so... *hinthintnudgenudge* (Note: If you're interested, know that there's a lot of (reasonable) cursing, gore, death, sex, alcohol, etc, etc, in case those kinds of things bother you. None of it's overdone, just more realistic portrayal of city slums, gangs, and cutthroats.)

On 6/1/2016 at 10:25 AM, Kirsch said:

Sorry for the double-post, but it's been almost a month since my last one—

Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. It's about a thief and his gang, the Gentlemen Bastards, who specialize in robbing the wealthy nobles by donning disguises and scheming like Leonardo DiCaprio's character from Catch Me If You Can. There's a lot of complex plots and subplots and backstabbing and wordbuilding, and the narrative is gritty and hilarious at the same time.

Am I making sense? I don't know. I really love this book, but I don't know anyone who's read it so... *hinthintnudgenudge* (Note: If you're interested, know that there's a lot of (reasonable) cursing, gore, death, sex, alcohol, etc, etc, in case those kinds of things bother you. None of it's overdone, just more realistic portrayal of city slums, gangs, and cutthroats.)

Double posting is a mortal sin. :V