Detective Conan World
dw5chaosfan

Answer that riddle

I'm guessing...they're both Honestants? The first guy is an Honestant and must tell the truth in his statement, so he says "I am a Swindelcant or the other one is an Honestant", so technically he's telling the truth on the second part of the statement. That concludes with the fact that they're both Honestants.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing...they're both Honestants? The first guy is an Honestant and must tell the truth in his statement, so he says "I am a Swindelcant or the other one is an Honestant", so technically he's telling the truth on the second part of the statement. That concludes with the fact that they're both Honestants.

Atari! That's right!

If he is a swindelcant and is telling a lie, then this statement:

"I am a Swindelcant" is true. WITH THE "OR" in place, he will be telling the truth.

So he cannot be a swindelcant. He must be a honestant.

And since he is an honestant, the other one must be honestant as well. :)

Great JOB Pyre-chan! =D

lets try the THIRD PART:

Honestants and Swindlecants III

PART 3:

Our gringo displeased the sovereign with his intrusive questions and was condemned to death. But there was also a chance to save himself by solving the following logic problem. The gringo was shown two doors - one leading to a scaffold and the second one to freedom (both doors were the same) and only the door guards knew what was behind the doors. The sovereign let the gringo put one question to one guard. And because the sovereign was an honest man he warned that exactly one guard is a Swindlecant.

What question can save the gringo's life?

:P

My question would be "WHAT WOULD THE OTHER GUARD SAY IF I WILL ASK HIM WHERE THIS DOOR LEADS?"

Let's assume that A door leads to freedom.

If the guard in A door is an honestant then he would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO THE SCAFFOLD"

If the guard in A door is a swindlecant then he would also asnwer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO THE SCAFFOLD"

But if A door leads to scaffold then the honestant would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM" and if the guard is swindlecant he would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM"

WHAT WOULD THE OTHER GUARD SAY IF I WILL ASK HIM WHERE THIS DOOR LEADS?

• Upvote 1

"If I asked you, would you tell me that this door leads to freedom?"

Assume that the door in question leads to Freedom. If the chosen Guard were an honestant, he would answer 'Yes'. If he were a Swindlecant, he would also answer 'Yes'.

Logic being: The way the question was worded. If the Gringo had asked "Does this door lead to freedom?", the guard would either answer 'Yes' or 'No', but he would have no way of knowing if he was being truthful or not.

Wording it as "If I asked you, would you tell me that this door leads to freedom?" keeps the truthful answer from an Honestant, but it trips up the Swindlecant.

----

Scenario 1, in which no conclusion is given; Assume that the chosen Guard is a Swindlecant, since we know that the Honestant answer would be correct in either case.

Gringo: "Does this door lead to freedom?"

(Liar)Guard: No.

This doesn't work out well, because you are left with doubt and are still unable to determine if he is truthful or not, setting Gringo back to square one with no more options.

----

----

Scenario 2, in which the answer is revealed:

Gringo: "If I asked you, would you tell me that this door leads to freedom?"

(Liar)Guard: Yes.

This changes his answer completely- exploiting the fact that he always lies and using it to your advantage.

If the Gringo had asked him "Does this door lead to freedom?", as shown in Scenario 1, the Swindlecant Guard would have said 'No.'

So phrasing it "If I asked you," forces the Swindlecant to answer truthfully in a roundabout way.

No, he would not have told him that the door led to freedom... so he would have to answer 'Yes', that he would have- getting tripped up in his own lie.

If the questioned guard was an Honestant, the answer would be the same, because Yes, he would tell the truth if asked.

Therefor, you can deduce that the door behind the questioned Guard leads to freedom- Swindlecant or Honestant. ;D

The same logic works the other way as well, if the door led to Death- in which case the Gringo would have gone through the other door if he wanted to live.

• Upvote 1

Atari! That's right!

If he is a swindelcant and is telling a lie, then this statement:

"I am a Swindelcant" is true. WITH THE "OR" in place, he will be telling the truth.

So he cannot be a swindelcant. He must be a honestant.

And since he is an honestant, the other one must be honestant as well. :)

Great JOB Pyre-chan! =D

Yay, I got it right! :D

My question would be "WHAT WOULD THE OTHER GUARD SAY IF I WILL ASK HIM WHERE THIS DOOR LEADS?"

Let's assume that A door leads to freedom.

If the guard in A door is an honestant then he would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO THE SCAFFOLD"

If the guard in A door is a swindlecant then he would also asnwer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO THE SCAFFOLD"

But if A door leads to scaffold then the honestant would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM" and if the guard is swindlecant he would answer "THIS DOOR LEADS TO FREEDOM"

WHAT WOULD THE OTHER GUARD SAY IF I WILL ASK HIM WHERE THIS DOOR LEADS?

First person who got it right! =D

This is the first type of question you can use to ask - The "Indirect question"

Assume that the door in question leads to Freedom. If the chosen Guard were an honestant, he would answer 'Yes'. If he were a Swindlecant, he would also answer 'Yes'.

Logic being: The way the question was worded. If the Gringo had asked "Does this door lead to freedom?", the guard would either answer 'Yes' or 'No', but he would have no way of knowing if he was being truthful or not.

Wording it as "If I asked you, would you tell me that this door leads to freedom?" keeps the truthful answer from an Honestant, but it trips up the Swindlecant.

----

Scenario 1, in which no conclusion is given; Assume that the chosen Guard is a Swindlecant, since we know that the Honestant answer would be correct in either case.

Gringo: "Does this door lead to freedom?"

(Liar)Guard: No.

This doesn't work out well, because you are left with doubt and are still unable to determine if he is truthful or not, setting Gringo back to square one with no more options.

----

----

Scenario 2, in which the answer is revealed:

Gringo: "If I asked you, would you tell me that this door leads to freedom?"

(Liar)Guard: Yes.

This changes his answer completely- exploiting the fact that he always lies and using it to your advantage.

If the Gringo had asked him "Does this door lead to freedom?", as shown in Scenario 1, the Swindlecant Guard would have said 'No.'

So phrasing it "If I asked you," forces the Swindlecant to answer truthfully in a roundabout way.

No, he would not have told him that the door led to freedom... so he would have to answer 'Yes', that he would have- getting tripped up in his own lie.

If the questioned guard was an Honestant, the answer would be the same, because Yes, he would tell the truth if asked.

Therefor, you can deduce that the door behind the questioned Guard leads to freedom- Swindlecant or Honestant. ;D

The same logic works the other way as well, if the door led to Death- in which case the Gringo would have gone through the other door if he wanted to live.

O.O What an elaborate answer! Yep yep you are right!

is another answer for this riddle!

This is the complicated roundabout question!

Its another type of question you can ask where +ve&+ve=+ve or -ve&-ve=+ve

The last kind of question is a true false question using NOR logic.(NOT OR)

NOR logic:

TRUE TRUE = TRUE

TRUE FALSE = FALSE

FALSE TRUE = FALSE

FALSE FALSE = TRUE

--> An honestant stands infront of the freedom gate.

If he is an honestant(TRUTH), and the door behind him is the freedom gate(TRUTH) (TRUE-TRUE) he will answer YES.

If he is a Swindelcant(LIE), and the door behind him is the freedom gate(statement is FALSE),

(FALSE-FALSE) TRUTHFULLY the answer is NO, but since he is a liar, he will answer YES.

For any other combination , both of them will answer NO. :)

Yay, I got it right! :D

GREAT JOB!!!!!! XD I forgot to up your REP XD I just did. =D

OK TIME FOR err.... PART 4!!!

Honestants and Swindlecants IV

PART 4:

Our gringo was lucky and survived. On his way to the pub he met three aborigines. One made this statement: "We are all Swindlecants." The second one concluded: "Just one of us is an honest man."

Who are they?

:P

Our gringo was lucky and survived. On his way to the pub he met three aborigines. One made this statement: "We are all Swindlecants." The second one concluded: "Just one of us is an honest man."

Who are they?

is it that guy (the one i underlined) ?

cos if he is the honest one, then he is stating that he saying that he is honest himself...

Then

A must be the swindlecant

B must be the honestant

C must be the swindlecant

A is swndlecant because his statement is false making him a swindlecant.

B is honestant because he conclude that "Just one of us in an honest man" let's say that C is the honestant then B is also an honestant because he is also telling the truth so C should not be the honestant therefore if B is the only one who is honestant then C must be a swindlecant.

• Upvote 1

Who are they?

is it that guy (the one i underlined) ?

cos if he is the honest one, then he is stating that he saying that he is honest himself...

My question was "Who are they" So we need to have proof they are honestant or swindlecants.

Then

A must be the swindlecant

B must be the honestant

C must be the swindlecant

A is swndlecant because his statement is false making him a swindlecant.

B is honestant because he conclude that "Just one of us in an honest man" let's say that C is the honestant then B is also an honestant because he is also telling the truth so C should not be the honestant therefore if B is the only one who is honestant then C must be a swindlecant.

CORRECT!!!!!!!

A's statement is false because, if it was true, it would have been a paradox. Theres no way for it to be true. SO A is DEFINITELY a SWINDLECANT.

As for C, if he was a honestant, then B's statement would be a paradox.

Therefore, the ONLY honestant is B. And C is a swindlecant. :)

GREAT JOB!!!!

Honestants and Swindlecants V

PART 5:

In the pub the gringo met a funny guy who said: "If my wife is an Honestant, then I am Swindlecant."

Who is this couple?

Small side note: I wish someone could rate the posts(or riddles) up if its good :P

I think it's the opposite

2nd statement

As I said before the guy should not say that "I am swindlecant" because if he really is a swindlecant then he is no longer a swindlecant that always tell lies but instead he is telling the truth making him an honestant.

So B is an Honestant.

1st statement

If the wife is an honestant then the the 2nd statement should be truth so that the wife will be an honestant because IF was used in the statement but the 2nd statement was false so the wife must be a swindlecant.

"If my wife is an Honestant, then I am Swindlecant." TO "If my wife is a swindlecant, then I am honestant"

I think it's the opposite

2nd statement

As I said before the guy should not say that "I am swindlecant" because if he really is a swindlecant then he is no longer a swindlecant that always tell lies but instead he is telling the truth making him an honestant.

So B is an Honestant.

1st statement

If the wife is an honestant then the the 2nd statement should be truth so that the wife will be an honestant because IF was used in the statement but the 2nd statement was false so the wife must be a swindlecant.

"If my wife is an Honestant, then I am Swindlecant." TO "If my wife is a swindlecant, then I am honestant"

Correct. :)

There had been debates whether or not this should b Wife:Swindlecant, Husband:Honestant

Or BOTH Swindlecants.

Well, this explains why BOTH CANNOT BE SWINDLECANTS.

If my wife is an Honestant, then I am XXX

so, if wife is really honestant, then if husband is XXX then he is an honestant.

But if wife is really honestant, and husband is NOT XXX then he is a swindlecant. (which ends up in a paradox in this case) *Therefore the wife is definitely a swindlecant.*

However, if wife is NOT an honestant, whatever the husband or that statement is, the statement definitely will be TRUE. Since there is NOTHING to be NEGATED in that statement.

Thats why the husband must be Honestant. :)

Honestants and Swindlecants VI

Part 6:

When the gringo wanted to pay and leave the pub, the bartender told him how much his drink costed. It was quite expensive, so he asked the bartender if he spoke the truth. But the gringo did not hear the whispered answer so he asked a man sitting next to him about it. And the man said: "The bartender said yes, but he is a big liar."

Who are they?

I think the bartender is swindlecant and the man sitting next to him is honestant because he is only saying what the bartender said that's lying so bartender must be the SWINDLECANT AND the man sitting next to him is HONESTANT. *Confused*

Correct. :)

There had been debates whether or not this should b Wife:Swindlecant, Husband:Honestant

Or BOTH Swindlecants.

Well, this explains why BOTH CANNOT BE SWINDLECANTS.

If my wife is an Honestant, then I am XXX

so, if wife is really honestant, then if husband is XXX then he is an honestant.

But if wife is really honestant, and husband is NOT XXX then he is a swindlecant. (which ends up in a paradox in this case) *Therefore the wife is definitely a swindlecant.*

However, if wife is NOT an honestant, whatever the husband or that statement is, the statement definitely will be TRUE. Since there is NOTHING to be NEGATED in that statement.

Thats why the husband must be Honestant. :)

Honestants and Swindlecants VI

Part 6:

When the gringo wanted to pay and leave the pub, the bartender told him how much his drink costed. It was quite expensive, so he asked the bartender if he spoke the truth. But the gringo did not hear the whispered answer so he asked a man sitting next to him about it. And the man said: "The bartender said yes, but he is a big liar."

Who are they?

Sorry for the double post, but I think I shall just give the answer since nobody got it...

1. The bartender must have said: "Yes, I speak the truth" (no matter who he is) "It was quite expensive" was a fact

2. the man sitting next to gringo said: "The bartender said yes, but he is a big liar.", which is true only if BOTH parts of the sentence are true

o if it's true - the man is an honestant and the bartender a swindlecant,

o if it's false = "he is a big liar"

ANSWER: is false - bartender is an honestant and the man is a swindlecant.

Lets try another one then since i think honestants and swindlecants are getting boring... :P

Find the mistake!

x = 2

x(x-1) = 2(x-1)

x2-x = 2x-2

x2-2x = x-2

x(x-2) = x-2

x = 1

Thus, 1=2.

I think its a bit late, but anyway, does this answer count?

the mistake is in the 1st step

given that x=2

If you replace all the X s with 2, you'll end up with:

2(2-1)= 2(2-1)

4-2=4-2

2=2 :)

hope i'm right

hhmmmm... i think I "over thought" about it :P anyway how about this:

The mistake is in the factorization of x^2

it is suposed to be this way:

x^2-x= 2x-x

x^2-x-2x+x=0

x^2-2x=0

so take X common factor

0=x(x-2)

we will end up with

x=0 or x=2 :)

How about that now?

• Upvote 1

Sorry for the double post, but I think I shall just give the answer since nobody got it...

1. The bartender must have said: "Yes, I speak the truth" (no matter who he is) "It was quite expensive" was a fact

2. the man sitting next to gringo said: "The bartender said yes, but he is a big liar.", which is true only if BOTH parts of the sentence are true

o if it's true - the man is an honestant and the bartender a swindlecant,

o if it's false = "he is a big liar"

ANSWER: is false - bartender is an honestant and the man is a swindlecant.

Lets try another one then since i think honestants and swindlecants are getting boring... :P

Find the mistake!

x = 2

x(x-1) = 2(x-1)

x2-x = 2x-2

x2-2x = x-2

x(x-2) = x-2

x = 1

Thus, 1=2.

hhmmmm... i think I "over thought" about it :P anyway how about this:

The mistake is in the factorization of x^2

it is suposed to be this way:

x^2-x= 2x-x

x^2-x-2x+x=0

x^2-2x=0

so take X common factor

0=x(x-2)

we will end up with

x=0 or x=2 :)

How about that now?

Yep see the above.

if x =2, then x-2 = 0

If you divide something by zero, it will get infinity. So basically that is not possible. :)

GREAT!

NEXT RIDDLE (If anyone would actually try it >_<)

Hats On A Death Row

You are one of 20 prisoners on death row with the execution date set for tomorrow. Your king is a ruthless man who likes to toy with his people's miseries. He comes to your cell today and tells you:

“I’m gonna give you prisoners a chance to go free tomorrow. You will all stand in a row (queue) before the executioner and we will put a hat on your head, either a red or a black one. Of course you will not be able to see the color of your own hat; you will only be able to see the prisoners in front of you with their hats on; you will not be allowed to look back or communicate together in any way (talking, touching.....).

The prisoner in the back will be able to see the 19 prisoners in front of him. The one in front of him will be able to see 18…

Starting with the last person in the row, the one who can see everybody in front of him, he will be asked a simple question: WHAT IS THE COLOR OF YOUR HAT?

He will be only allowed to answer “BLACK” or “RED”. If he says anything else you will ALL be executed immediately.

If he guesses the right color of the hat on his head he is set free, otherwise he is put to death. And we move on to the one in front of him and ask him the same question and so on…

Well, good luck tomorrow, HA HA HA HA HA HA!”

Now since you all can communicate freely during the night, can you find a way to guarantee the freedom of some prisoners tomorrow? How many?

all of them, if they all lean over to the right and the left in sequence after the guard asks the the first person his color hat, he can find the pattern and guess his color. The pattern will soon be picked up and the last person asked can announce his hat color. Or order everyone from tallest to shortest and it will be easily understood in the same way

all of them, if they all lean over to the right and the left in sequence after the guard asks the the first person his color hat, he can find the pattern and guess his color. The pattern will soon be picked up and the last person asked can announce his hat color. Or order everyone from tallest to shortest and it will be easily understood in the same way

hmmm that could work if they could see everyone's hats. But problem is the last person can see everyone's but nobody can see him.

they are arranged like this:

last -----> first

|last | | | | | | | | | | | | |first --> look this way ->

So they cant see who is slanting where. But Im sure they can hear the rest. :P