116 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Sera Masumi?

• Akai's sister (high school girl)
    • Akai's sister (also FBI)
    • Akai's sister (Black Org agent)
    • Akai's sister (someone else)
    • Bourbon
    • Black Org Agent (new)
    • Black Org Agent (known one in disguise)
    • Sister of Black Organization member
    • FBI
    • CIA
    • Other agency (Interpol, PSIA, MI6...)
    • New Organization
    • Miyano Akemi in disguise
    • Akai Shuuichi in disguise
    • Scar Akai in disguise
    • Other known character in disguise
    • Relative of other known character not mentioned above
    • non-BO freelance assassin
    • High school girl only
    • Someone else
  2. 2. What is Sera after? (multiple answer)

• Find Akai and/or investigate his death
    • Find Sherry
    • Kill Akai (vs. just find him)
    • Kill Sherry (vs. just find her)
    • Uncover Conan's true identity
    • Spy on Conan
    • Spy on Kogoro Detective Agency
    • Spy on the FBI
    • Spy on the CIA
    • Damage/Destroy the Black Org
    • Something else
    • Investigate the Black Org
    • Infiltrate the Black Org
    • Kill Shinichi/Conan
    • Kill someone else
    • Do something related to her family history in Japan
    • Find scar Akai (vs. Akai generally)

How does Sera know about Conan then?? And that Conan knows about the FBI? Did Jodie, Camel or James tell her??

I think only someone with FBI insider knowledge or someone who heard from someone with FBI inside knowledge would know Conan and Akai were close. Not even Vermouth knows about the pair's connection, and she's got the most info in the Org.

A bunch of FBI agents saw Conan and Akai together in the strategy meeting. The way Conan and Akai were interacting made it clear that they knew each other and had been planning together. If Sera grilled one of the other FBI agents, it's possible she could have found out about Conan. If it's one of the named FBI agents who spilled the beans about Conan, I would guess Camel. Akai himself could have mentioned Conan to Sera as well as someone who was kind of interesting and smart.

There really isn't enough evidence about how she would have found out Conan and Akai are connected yet. Besides an FBI agent leaking the info, the only "public" case where Conan and Akai were present was the bus jack case I believe. It's also possible she followed the Teito bank heist case on TV and saw Scar Akai and heard Conan was involved in the case. The problem is neither of those cases show a link between Conan and Akai worth investigating because they both acted independently in those cases.

thats just it, its too easy! i think there will be a definite twist,plus the similarity with the Eisuke arc is incredible. P.S didn't anyone notice on the covers of the Jeet Kune Do files there was the UK flag! the same dramatic plot will happen that Chek mentioned most then likely, but who she is has to be different, its just too predictable. What if she was an investigator looking into the BO and and catches wind of scar Akai and she becomes bait or a tool for the BO(without her knowing), along with suspisions from Ran and others will hit the surface along with other unanswered loose ends, Maybe Kudo's name will get in papers for a case somehow, Conan will have to use some antidote and not only cover his butt, but protect his friends with the help of Okiya (Akai). He also has to take the offensive and find out what the org really is, along with the boss? Maybe some of that is simply what i want to happen, but still he will defiantly take some offense, and i do think the series will start to wrap up after this arc, which will turn out to connect with Bourbon and be called the Bourbon arc.

Oh no!

I don't want Sera to be another Eisuke ><

This is a theory that I originally posted in the DCTP forum (link = http://forums.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=5901.0)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you may have noticed, a whole lot of clues about Sera's identity have been given throughout the past four chapters (Files 768-771). If you put the clues together, an interesting possibility emerges: Sera is an FBI agent. The following are the steps I took to arrive at this conclusion along with facts and evidence to support them:

Sera Works For an Espionage-Related Organization

In File 769, Sera suggests that she has sharp ears "due to her line of work" (pg 2), suggesting that she works for an organization that involves stealth and information gathering. She also suggests that she has witnessed "innumerable" jumper suicide scenes (pg 3), suggesting that the organization she works for also involves dealing with homicide cases.

Sera Has Detailed Knowledge of the Japanese Police Force

In File 773, just by noticing a flickering light outside the Detective Agency windows, Sera recognizes the presence of the police, the number and name of their units, their tactical positions, and their plan to defeat the bomber in a very short amount of time. She also goes as far as to help them in their plan by luring the bomber to the window to allow the snipers to shoot him (much like how a normal police officer would act). The source of her knowledge and expertise is unknown.

Sera is Highly Skilled in Martial Arts and Deductive Reasoning

Sera displayed her skill in martial arts in File 768 when she counter-attacked Ran (who is an exceptional martial artist herself). She displayed her deductive abilities in File 769 when she deduced that the jumper-suicide was actually a homicide disguised as a suicide.

Sera is a Japanese-American That Moved Back to Japan Recently

In File 771, Sera tells her classmates that she moved back to Japan after living in the United States with her parents for a period of 3 years (pg 2). Apparently, the reason for her return to Japan is that it is "easier to be a detective", suggesting that she is working on some sort of case.

Sera Has a Possible Connection to "Deceased" FBI Agent Akai Shuuichi

In File 771, when scolded for his actions in the previous case by Haibara, Conan says that Sera is "not an enemy" because she resembles someone he met before (pg 11). Conan has previously worked with Akai during the Clash of the Red and Black. Sera physically resembles Akai (compare the two faces, especially the eyes) who is also a Japanese-American. Also, as some people have mentioned, the name "Sera Masumi" is very similar to the name "Sayla Mass" (Seira Masu), who is Char Aznable's younger sister in the Gundam Wing anime franchise (Akai is named after Char Aznable himself). Also, Sera mentioned that she moved to America three years before the current timeline; this was around the same time when Akai infiltrated the Black Organization as "Morobashi Dai".

Sera is Investigating Conan

Interestingly, Sera seems to know Conan's name as well as the fact that he is a "detective" despite it being their first time meeting each other. She also knew Ran as well as Professor Agasa (file 771). The source of this information is unclear, however, Haibara points out that Conan's name has come up in newspapers due to his battles with Kaito Kid. She also goes as far as to purposely get her deduction wrong in order to let Conan solve the case himself, probably to test his deductive abilities. In File 771, she shows extreme interest in meeting Conan face-to-face, and alludes to the fact that Conan is the "brain" behind Kogorou's deductions. In File 773, she hints to Ran about the connection between Conan and Shinichi, possibly meaning that she knows or suspects Conan's identity. The reason and motive behind her investigation are unclear, however, it is possible that she is investigating Conan because he had contact with Akai shortly before he "died".

Putting the Pieces Together:

Sera works for an espionage-related organization and has exceptional skills in martial arts and deductive reasoning. Her skills in martial arts and deductive reasoning might have been obtained while she trained and worked for the organization. She is willing to have criminals killed (like she did with the bomber in file 773), probably due to the fact she witnessed countless deaths during her work in this organization. This organization is most likely the FBI, due to the fact that Sera lived in America recently (the FBI is an American organization) and has a possible connection to a "former" FBI agent (Akai). She moved to America 3 years before the current timeline; this was the same time in which Akai infiltrated the Black Organization, meaning that the reason for her move to America is probably related to this (perhaps she took the FBI's Witness Protection Program to stay safe from danger). She moved back to Japan to work on a case; this case is most likely investigating the "death" of her relative/comrade, Akai Shuuichi. She has detailed knowledge of the Japanese Police Force; she might have received this information from her fellow agents in Japan to prepare herself for her investigation. The reason for her investigation would probably be that she has suspicions surrounding the circumstances of his death (similar to how Jodie felt). This would also explain why she is investigating Conan; he is the second-last person to have contact with Akai before he died (the last being Rena Mizunashi/Kir) and is likely to have information on what went down.

COUNTER-THEORIES:

"Sera is Too Young to be An FBI Agent" - Sera's True Age Has Not Been Revealed

Many of you have been arguing that Sera might be too young to be part of such a high-level organization. However, even though Sera showed up in Ran's class as a high school student, her true age (as well as her identity) has not been confirmed; assuming that she's an FBI agent, she could have forged the papers necessary to register for school, which would allow her to act as a high school student. I would also like to mention that Jodie Starling (a current FBI agent) is around 28-29 years old, and has been a member for at least 5 years (it was shown in flashbacks that she was a member during Akai's time in the Black Organization), making it possible for a young woman such as Sera to join as well.

"Sera is a Black Organization Member" - Not Likely

Some of you have mentioned that Sera could also be a member of the Black Organization. This theory is not very likely, due to the fact that Sera publicly worked with the police to solve a case (Files 768-770). If Sera was called in for questioning by the police, her identity as well as her involvement in the organization would have been exposed. If she was a BO agent, she would have a certain cover/identity; this identity can easily be exposed if she was questioned and interrogated by the police (for example, if she was a BO agent and an undercover high school student, the police can expose her identity by revealing her true age). This is out of character for the organization, as they would avoid contact with law enforcement during their work (similar to how Gin and Vodka acted in the first chapter of the series).

"What if Sera's identity as an FBI agent was exposed?" - Easily Excusable

If Sera is an FBI agent and came to Japan to work on a mission, her identity could be exposed. However, this is not an issue because Sera can make an excuse for her stay in Japan such as visiting a relative, vacation from work, or going back to high school to finish her education. Jodie and Camel did the same thing when they were uncovered by Takagi and Megure during the Clash of the Red and Black (File 606).

I hope you enjoy my theory, and please feel free to leave comments and/or counter-theories to prove me wrong.

• Upvote 3

You posted an earlier version of this theory on DCTP, right?

"Sera is Too Young to be An FBI Agent" - Sera's True Age Has Not Been Revealed

Many of you have been arguing that Sera might be too young to be part of such a high-level organization. However, even though Sera showed up in Ran's class as a high school student, her true age (as well as her identity) has not been confirmed; assuming that she's an FBI agent, she could have forged the papers necessary to register for school, which would allow her to act as a high school student. I would also like to mention that Jodie Starling (a current FBI agent) is around 28-29 years old, and has been a member for at least 5 years (it was shown in flashbacks that she was a member during Akai's time in the Black Organization), making it possible for a young woman such as Sera to join as well.

You may want to say that Natsuki from the Detective Koushien case faked her age to pretend she attended school so Aoyama has used this idea before.

Anyway, interesting theory...

If Sera was an FBI agent, it would make it easier for her to acquire the knowledge that Akai and Conan were buddies before Akai disappeared. If that case, she is probably a low ranked newbie. I personally don't think she is an FBI agent because she looks and behaves a bit too young.

Honestly, whether she is an FBI agent or not isn't that important. Her relationship to Akai matters more. That is what will drive the plot forward.

Quick throw into the theories... (Though I do think she is an ally and more than likely to be related to Akai, I do think that is a bit too generic and predictable. So I'll put a theory that I want to see in the hopes of making it a bit more interesting...)

If we assume that she is not Bourbon (there is no evidence to support that, plus Bourbon is made to seem much older, at least that is how I see it). It would be interesting if she were Bourbon's protégées, and was sent in to Teitan as an agent of the BO and to specifically befriend Ran, who is connected to the two most famous detectives, Mouri Kogorou and Kudo Shinichi. There is also a chance she was sent to investigate Conan Edogawa since he seems to be behind a lot and can stand toe to toe with Kaitou Kid. She already seems to have some information on Conan, and it is likely that she has information on Kudou as well. She could have easily been with Bourbon in America for this time to prepare for this mission and trained in JKD to get close to Ran, or to be able to fight with her in a way that Ran would not be able to defend against in case anything went wrong.

I mean it seems like an enormous coincidence that they met on the bus, that she knew who Conan was as well as Ran. She had to have gotten her information from somewhere and the most likely place is from Bourbon and the BO.

Reasons why I do not think it would be Akai and the FBI giving information: 1) FBI agents tend not to share information on current assignments with family members, in fact I'd bet they are forbidden to, in the fear of information leaking. 2) Even though Akai could have sent her a message as his last words to her, he doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd do that, as he would likely know that his sister would chase after him 3) She seems a bit young and childish to be an FBI operative... Granted, she could be just a really good actress.

• Upvote 2

I once thought she is FBI I've contribute to say I suspect her to be FBI. However when I read more, it gives me a de ja vu feeling where I have seen it before. I have watch Iron man 2 and I remember a scene a girl approach Tony Stark, dared to impress him with her moves.

As for this manga, it's a bit similar when she show her deduction around Conan and realized herself carried away until she wait for Conan to join in. She then say it was her line of profession to inspect details around her. She hovers around Ran like Natalie Rushman hang around Pepper Potts. Sera is straightforward to recognize the dangers, well trained to be.... a bodyguard in politics and government. She seems to know how Japanese police work.

Sister of Akai or maybe she is the disguise of Akai

I think Sera is too short to be Akai in disguise, but now I need brain bleach because I just imagined Akai wearing the Teitan girl's uniform.

Sister of Akai, yes.

I think Sera is too short to be Akai in disguise, but now I need brain bleach because I just imagined Akai wearing the Teitan girl's uniform.

Have you ever read this fic:Redemption

So, here's my theory regarding Sera. This is based on the ending of file 777, as well as some other things we've seen. Like the title of this post should have warned you, there are spoilers abound here, so if you've chosen to ignore that and come look regardless, prepare yourself for what happens next.

Sera may be an assassin.

• She is a practitioner of Jeet Kune Do, which apparently has moves that "target vital points".
  • She says she has good ears 'due to her line of work'.
  • She has seen 'innumerable jumper suicide scenes'.
  • She has such cold eyes...
  • She's so calm when it comes to the bomber case
  • She has no qualms about having the bomb guy get shot.
  • She recognises snipers with ease.
  • She has good eyesight, noticing the curtain twitch in the middle of a conversation.
  • 'Deletion' from the line "Deletion is easy enough for data" could refer to the 'deletion (ie, assassination) of people.

Of course, it's too early to say yet...