Detective Conan World
Guest Hajime Kindaichi

Hi everyone I both Mummy Curse for $5 in amazon last year and now its over $10 thank God i bought 1. Anyway regarding the series I definitely love the series, I do, I want to watch and read this series from top to bottom and I will really support if anyone want to translate this series. BTW off topic, how about Q.E.D do anyone read the series, currently we have a small group that translating this manga but we are really slow in the release.

From this thread: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/1219-dc-question-and-answer-thread/?p=359461

Chekhov, but why were you disappointed with some Kindaichi cases compared to Detective Conan (don't know if you missed my post on the previous page)? As I said, in my opinion while DC is superior in the development of the world, the characters and general background atmosphere, from the detective/mystery point of view Kindaichi is much more complicated and it's very important not to be able to guess the murderer in a detective story (sorry I don't remember if I already asked you this question before).

It has been a very long time since I read the Kindaichi case files and watched a few of the episodes. I freely admit to not remembering exactly how Kindaichi does things and all the details of why I like it less than DC.

Detective Conan often has Conan look at the clues, so I know "hey, this is a thing, even if I'm not yet sure what it means." I don't have to comb the panels multiple times looking for things in the background out of place. The reading experience is more casual with only a minor sacrifice to difficulty. Gosho is also consistent and stylized when he portrays clues. For instance, if someone was strangled to death, then they will have that bruise line around their neck and yoshikawa lines if they struggled. It saves me from the artificial difficulty of trying to guess what I am looking at and what the clue's physical features are.

I recall Kindaichi tended to be weak on both the things mentioned above. I do remember being frustrated with the author because sometimes I could not tell if the author was being artistically or logically inconsistent or if I was looking at a clue I was supposed to find. It felt like a chore to work through a Kindaichi manga file, scrutinizing the panels to make sure I haven't missed anything. Also the characters, including the protags, supporting cast, suspects, and the victims were usually not as well thought out or as interesting even though the cases were more mature.

it's very important not to be able to guess the murderer in a detective story

My overwhelming preference is for guessable murderers in a detective story, as long as you have noticed the clues and theorized properly. I am happy to be wrong if I am wrong for good reasons. It goes with the genre - it is a game between you and the writer. Authors who violate that trust are like that kid from recess who would always change the rules about where "base" is to his benefit: obnoxious and no fun to play with. I drop authors who burn me. (And it is hard to find authors who are both good at writing real mysteries and not prone to shenanigans. I'd accept the occasional rule-break case if they weren't so damn common)

If I wanted to be jerked along and surprised I would read something from the "When They Cry" series or some suspense horror.

My overwhelming preference is for guessable murderers in a detective story, as long as you have noticed the clues and theorized properly. I am happy to be wrong if I am wrong for good reasons. It goes with the genre - it is a game between you and the writer. Authors who violate that trust are like that kid from recess who would always change the rules about where "base" is to his benefit: obnoxious and no fun to play with. I drop authors who burn me. (And it is hard to find authors who are both good at writing real mysteries and not prone to shenanigans. I'd accept the occasional rule-break case if they weren't so damn common)

If I wanted to be jerked along and surprised I would read something from the "When They Cry" series or some suspense horror.

But it's one thing to guess culprits by analyzing the clues, and it's another if they are just obvious thanks to the stereotype "the most nice and apparently good guy is the guilty party". I mean, I almost never analyze the clues because either don't notice them and am not good at it anyway, but I guess the murderers right in 90% of the cases in DC. Also, NOTHING happens in DC casually and by chance. Even if you see a character not wanting to part with his umbrella, refusing to take off the jacket, or spilling some soup on his clothes, even if it happens before the murder and I don't understand what role exactly will this thing play, I can still be sure it's a key clue and (what's much more important) whoever was involved in this detail is surely the murderer.

Kindaichi, if I recall correctly, at least throws in details that may be false leads and aren't necessarily connected to the murderers themselves.

It's one thing it the author makes the murderer known from the beginning on purpose, then it's just a different genre, not the mystery one, but it's another thing if the author tries to make a genuine mystery, but makes the murderer too obvious even to lazy viewers like me. To me, this is a disappointment, to be honest, I still like DC, but watch it now for other reasons than the mysteries because it has become way too easy to guess the murderer just by pointing the finger at the "less annoying and the most nice and polite character" and say "this must be the murderer, he appears too nice to be genuine!".

Watch the Kindaichi Case files anime.....because the KCF anime follows the manga closely and the manga is not likely to be scanlated anytime soon...I think except the first case: "The Opera House Murders", none of the cases are completely scanlated...either the first half of a case is missing or the conclusion is missing. So its better if you don't waste your time searching for manga scanlations...instead go and watch the anime.

(its available at kissanime.com or even at youtube I think)

Yeah, it's really frustrating. I'm really enjoying the series, there are even some elements that I like more than Conan, like having more than just three suspects in every case). Through various sites, I've managed to read through the entirety of the first 10 cases, but then it skips a few cases, and the next one I can find only has the first four chapters. It's really bugging me as this is a great series. Can anyone point me to a site that hosts the series in its entirety? Even if it's bad scans, that's better than not getting to read it at all!