Detective Conan World
Aeyra

Aeyra's art thread

As I started this a while ago, I've actually finished Ruby himself. (heh, heh) But I've still got his Pokemon to work on! I'll post it in in little 'steps' so you can see how I progressed and I'll give some tips on how I did it. (though... I've still got lots to learn...)

'kay, let's get started!

Step 1:

001.jpg

The pencil drawing! You can still a bunch of the outline lines I made because I was too lazy to trace with pen, aka a bunch of circles and lines. I didn't reference anything for Ruby, but I did look at things for the Pokemon. :P Some tips? Well... Make sure the pencil drawing is neat and looks good. Hold it up to a light source and look at it from the backside of the paper to make sure everything looks good.

Step 2:

I then traced over it in Photoshop with the pen tool, drawing the shape of the lines and using the 'fill' option instead of 'trace path.' That's the best advice I can give for 'simulating' a tablet effect. If you know what a tablet does. (I don't. :P)

Ruby2outline.jpg

Step 3:

Rubytutorial1.jpg

The skin has been colored (use a vector mask, which is created by the pen tool), and for shading, decide where the light is, and experiment with it until it looks like an anime drawing. You can reference something (or be lazy like me and wing it), and my suggestion is to use the pen tool and the gradient tool to create better looking shadings. :3 Make sure the skin isn't too pale *cough* This is my first drawing where the skin isn't like- ultra pale....

Step 4

Skipping ahead... Everything is colored, including the clothes, because that was just about all that was left for Ruby. The clothes took me stinking forever. This is my first time doing such detail! (and yet it still looks like a fail!) What I did was reference my pencil drawing to determine approximately where I wanted the darker parts, and where the lighter parts were. For the 'small area' (more extreme) shading and highlights, look at a drawing like I did, and mark out some highlights and shadings on the original pencil drawing and then put it onto photoshop with your trusty pen tool! For the eyes, what I did was shade it in one shade of red, and then use the burn and highlight tool to create the dark/shiny gradient effect.

Rubytutorial2.jpg

Step 5:

Rubynana1.jpg

For Nana's fur, I colored it in light gray, and then used the burn tool to shade in areas I thought should be dark. As the effect looked quite sharp, I used the Gaussian Blur filter to give it a softer look. The highlight tool was also used to make it look brighter in some areas.

Step 6:

Rubynana2l.jpg

I colored in Nana's fur with a fairly dark shade of gray, and used the highlight tool set to 'Shadows' and about 50% exposure. As for where to shade, it was mostly around the edges and some random strokes for a more tablet like effect. :3

Current Drawing Stage:

Ruby3.jpg

If you have any questions (which you probably do, because I skipped a ton of stuff since I wasn't in the mood to erase and recolor bases) please feel free to ask! Leave me feedback as well, because nothing's frozen in place as of now. This post will be updated regularly! Check my status updates and this topic if you're interested! Thank you!

• Upvote 3

Wow, that looks really good :-o Nana looks awesome and I like how you do the eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! :D I was worried about Nana... Because this is my first time drawing Pokemon in years.

It's really nice! Makes me want to watch Pokemon again! :P How did you get rid of the pencil marks? I never used Photoshop so I dunno about its features.

Oh yeah, +1 for you! :D

P.s: Did you do this at the back of a receipt?? It looks like you did the drawing on a recycled paper. :P

It's really nice! Makes me want to watch Pokemon again! :P How did you get rid of the pencil marks? I never used Photoshop so I dunno about its features.

Oh yeah, +1 for you! :D

P.s: Did you do this at the back of a recipe?? It looks like you did the drawing on a recycled paper. :P

The pencil marks are still there, the layer they're on is just below the outline and the coloring. ;) Photoshop works with layers, which is basically being able to draw on top of something and not effect the bottom thing, and being able to draw below(AKA coloring line art) and so on. It's on the back of this piece of notepad paper from my dad's former work place. :D Thanks for the rep! XD

PS.... Don't watch the anime. It's a sucking piece of crap. Go read the Pokemon manga or play the games. That way, you don't go brain dead and you have fun! This character is from the Pokemon Special manga, and I just drew the Pokemon he uses throughout the series.(minus 2)

Wow! +1, Aya-chan! Incredible...

Oh, and I was just wondering: Do you use references?

Originally, I was just drawing Ruby, and I didn't use a reference for him. I drew him from memory, so that's why his outfit appears to be one of my own creation. But I guess he would wear it. It looks close enough. :P For the Pokemon, since I had no idea how to draw them, I tried to draw them without references (epic fail) so I searched them up. And yet lo and behold, Zuzu looks nothing like Zuzu. And some random bit of advice, plan the drawing out in advance. Don't finish Ruby shadings and all and then think you should add the Pokemon too. That causes problems. :P Complicated, unnecessary problems. XD

Huh. Looks like I was right XD

Thank-you so much for this ^^ It looks awesome~ Merry Christmas!! :D

Merry Christmas to you too! ;D Thank you!

So I got a tablet today, and I'm getting pretty good at it! :D Now all I need to do is improve my drawing skills in general..... =.=' Whaddaya think? For a first day, I think it's pretty good! :D

Conan.jpg

Look! I finally managed to finish drawing something with my tablet! Sorry it's not DC... But... FranticShipping is just that awesome! XD Please tell me what you think! ;D (BTW... FranticShipping=RubyxSapphire from the Pokemon Special manga. :P)

new_year__s_kiss_by_iluvshadowclaw-d4lfbdv.jpg

• Upvote 4

Wow, I think it looks great! (and it's not because I'm a Pokemon fanatic :P) Nice coloring and photo shopping.

Thanks! :D I think the part where you can tell I used a tablet most is the fur trim on their coats. I totally would never be able to do that with a mouse. ;D

If anything, the fireworks look a bit odd.

I was going to ask my brother to do them... but... he refused to come near the computer when there was a pic of people kissing. :P My brother's good at making backgrounds(the abstract kind) and such because all he does all day is watch tutorials on how to do 'em... And I couldn't figure out how... So... Yeah. You're stuck with a crappy background as usual. :P But how's the actual drawing?

Because I am obviously obsessed with Pokemon Adventures (...) I decided to draw Green and his Charizard, because Green is awesome, and so is Charizard. This is done with my tablet (win!) and though some parts are still... um... done badly, I think I'm getting better. BTW, I know Charizard isn't supposed to look like a cat, but.. I noticed that a bit too late. :P

green_by_iluvshadowclaw-d4n5avv.jpgOh, and if you're interested in Pokemon Adventures, go here->http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/3251-pokemon-adventures/

• Upvote 2

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!! :D I love Pokemon until it reached the Diamond and Pearl stage which I don't really like so I stop watching, playing, reading Pokemon all together. <_<

I LOVE GREEN! THIS IS GREAT! :grin:

+1~ :lol:

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!! :D I love Pokemon until it reached the Diamond and Pearl stage which I don't really like so I stop watching, playing, reading Pokemon all together. <_<

I LOVE GREEN! THIS IS GREAT! :grin:

+1~ :lol:

Thanks! :D I only recently got back into Pokemon, and I <3 the manga. Green's my second favorite character, so I had to draw him. ^^ I personally loved the Sinnoh games (Pearl and Platinum FTW! Ironically enough, those two were the ones I played, and I ship them together. Also, I played Leaf Green, and started with Charmander. I played Ruby and started with Mudkip too. O.o Very strange...)