Wataru Takagi and Miwako Sato
 Relationship analysis
Wataru Takagi and Miwako Sato are two officers working under Inspector Megure in the first division of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department, where Sato is currently Takagi's superior. As the story progresses, they start developing strong mutual romantic feelings for one another.
Despite being heavily admired by many male colleagues around her, especially Inspector Shiratori in the beginning, Sato still cares and worries about Takagi deeply, most notably during situations where his safety was put at risk. She also finds in Takagi traits that remind her of her late colleague and lover, Jinpei Matsuda. Takagi, on the other hand, respects Sato as his senior and loves her sincerely as a girlfriend, even to the point of willingly sacrificing his own life just to keep her away from all dangers. After going through numerous difficulties and challenges, in some later cases, their relationship was subtly hinted to have developed to a sexual period; however, the true nature of this development has yet to be confirmed.
A running joke in the series is that their relationship never progresses because of interruptions by the rest of the police force or other characters.
 Wataru Takagi and Miwako Sato moments
Near the end of the episode, Sato begins to cry on Takagi's shoulder saying that she wants to forget Matsuda, and after Takagi tells her she shouldn't forget, the two nearly kiss. However, they are interrupted by Inspector Megure
Sato kissed Takagi when he was hospitalized, after Conan and the Detective Boys warded off Megure and some others who were about to enter.
Sato saves Takagi and kisses him, with a camera showing them. The male police officers see that scene and make them angry and jealous.
 Movies and OVAs
In Movie 4, when a man pushes a woman out of a train and Takagi catches her he remembers when he was holding Sato's lifeless body and gets distracted long enough for the culprit to push Ran onto the rail track.
 See also
- ^ Manga: Volume 64, File 673: "The Common Pattern"; Anime: The Scar that Evokes the Past.
- ^ Hints of sexual relationship:
- Volume 76, File 806, Page 6 (The Life-Threatening Broadcast of Love): Sato accidentally reveals that she and Takagi have been sleeping together, and blushed awkwardly in response to the Detective Boys' speculation.
- Volume 82, File 867, Page 6: Takagi accidentally reveals that he has slept on Sato's bed because he knows that it's "soft and fluffy", both of them blushed awkwardly in response to the Detective Boys' speculation; later in Page 9, Takagi whispers to Sato that "what was really soft and warm wasn't, of course, the bedding..." in front of the kids, making her furiously embarrassed.
- Volume 82, Files 869~871: Takagi misunderstands that Sato is pregnant, and is strongly convinced that the baby is his, which wouldn't make sense if they never had sexual relationship.