Detective Conan World
katiokid1412

Ran finding out Conan is Shinichi?

I honestly don't want Ran to find out period. I'm rooting for Shinichi and Conan to be separated and if Ran knows I feel that it takes away from that. :P

Ran knowing just wouldn't be good for the story. No matter WHAT point she figured it out at. She may be a black belt but she's NO match to face off against BO members. She would have no relevance otherwise and she would simply become "the main love interest".

Do you Ran fans WANT her to be useless? XD

Hattori isn't stupid by any standards besides girls and even he refers to Conan as Kudo. Then Ran knowing would probably cause her to call him Shinichi when he's Conan and Conan when he's Shinichi. That would bring about suspicion.

So all in all I don't like the thought of it.

^agreed. *nods*

I still think that her knowing only after the entire incident is over would be better. If she knows, she would start being a hindrance. Not that she is stupid. Think about it. What will happen if she knows about it? Will gosho turn her into a super detective that helps conan/ Shinichi to fight the BO? If ever she finds out about it, her role would change.

Also, if she found out about it, would she keep quiet and allow Shinichi to catch the BO himself? She might actually be proactive and gets herself into different trouble. I believe that is what Shinichi is trying to avoid. I don't think Shinichi feels that telling her would bring trouble to himself. Rather, he wanted to tell her. But to protect her, he can't.

^agreed. *nods*

I still think that her knowing only after the entire incident is over would be better. If she knows, she would start being a hindrance. Not that she is stupid. Think about it. What will happen if she knows about it? Will gosho turn her into a super detective that helps conan/ Shinichi to fight the BO? If ever she finds out about it, her role would change.

Also, if she found out about it, would she keep quiet and allow Shinichi to catch the BO himself? She might actually be proactive and gets herself into different trouble. I believe that is what Shinichi is trying to avoid. I don't think Shinichi feels that telling her would bring trouble to himself. Rather, he wanted to tell her. But to protect her, he can't.

Well if he told her before, she'd refuse to sit on the sidelines, which would cause a bit of trouble... X:

I think he willing to tell Kogoro. And Kogoro can continue act lazy bum because he's convincing. What Conan can do is to get his attention and let him to draw conclusion he's in deep trouble, using subtle way saying. If Takagi can pick up, Conan can let Kogoro to draw out conclusion and I think he don't mind because Kogoro won't ask until Conan willing to say it.

As for Ran? He was hoping someone to tell her stay strong and wait until Sera give a pep talk about love is something she has to keep faith until she's confident to know Shinichi needs her to keep herself together if serious to know what's in his mind. That's when he will start talking.

Considering how long the series has gone on, and that it might still be a while before ending, a change would arguably be a good thing. And it could make for an interesting characterization for Ran to find medium between being involved while knowing when to leave things up to Shinichi/Conan.

And the hinderance argument works both ways. Look at the end of Episode 523 where Shinichi has to hide before he turns back into Conan and Ran tries to keep him there. Had Ran been in on the secret, that little incident wouldn't have happened.

Edit: Now lets look at the heart of the matter. The rationalization for keeping Ran in the dark is to keep her from becoming a target. But look at Episode 425 when they thought Kogoro was onto them. Gin was perfectly willing to kill Conan (who from their perspective was a 7 year old boy unaware of the Organization), and thus Ran could still be a target even if she isn't in the know.

• Upvote 2

I believe he will tell her of his own accord at some point, when either he must to protect her, will return to normal, or needs her help~

It will definitely be close to or during the manga's finale~

I think if Conan tells her at some point, Ran won’t be mad but rather be like “you finally told me”, because she’s always been suspicious but just keeping it to herself

I really couldn't get why Conan keeps his secret from Ran. Hattori, Agasa and his parents could keep his secret. Why not Ran?

Maybe he's shy of Ran because he already saw her in the flesh! (While bathing) :twisted: nah... just joking :lol:

true, I remember that episode... :lol: It was about some guy who got killed by a sword, right?

What makes me wonder is that she thought Conan was Shinichi a few times when he was a boy, but in OVA 9, she completely gave up on the idea even though Conan admitted himself to being Shinichi.

I've never read/seen a OVA so I don't know... Maybe she fought Conan wanted to be like him or sommat.

I think if Conan tells her at some point, Ran won’t be mad but rather be like “you finally told me”, because she’s always been suspicious but just keeping it to herself

Well, I think the forgiveness is a possibility, but there needs to be some build up to her forgiving him, which is why I hope the confession happens prior to the final arc (not right away mind you).

What makes me wonder is that she thought Conan was Shinichi a few times when he was a boy, but in OVA 9, she completely gave up on the idea even though Conan admitted himself to being Shinichi.

Yeah, but considering that it's a dream that Conan himself is having, things like that need to be taken with a grain of salt.

More than ten people know, and a serious amount have their suspicions...

Really, I think Ran already knows, but is keeping it to herself this time. Every time she's voiced her suspicions she's been tricked, lied to, and distracted. If I were her I'd hold it in for now, and do some detective snooping of my own, finding a way to back Conan into a corner. She's been so close so very many times.

Honestly, I think Heiji is going to be the one to ultimately screw it up. He's messed up quite a bit already, and he'll eventually slip up to the point where they can't smooth it over. Coupled with Ran's already obvious thoughts about Conan being Shinichi, it's only a matter of time. How many times he blurts out KUDO is enough to make me shake my head.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, Ran got the APTX or forced to drink it, and then she also shrunk and definitely knew Conan's true identity. Just my unbelievable theory :mrgreen:

i can't imagine that there someone in this word think just like me!!

That's why I liked the early episodes far more than the new ones. Conan actually seemed more suspicious to her, and she was more sharper than she's now. It's like she got used to Shinichi not bein' there, 'n' Conan doin' the detective work...

What fell on my mind when I thought of how'd he tell Ran that he's Conan is that after some of the final battles with BO, he'd have to escape with Shiho for whatever reason (to get the enemies away from the others, or to save their lives, etc.) 'n' either see Ran for a moment 'n' give her enough clues for her to figure it out, or leave some kind of message.

But somethin' like that fell on my mind, probably because I'm for Shinichi x Shiho combination rather than Shinichi x Ran.

Personally i think Ran has doubted about Conan's secret recently, but she chooses not to ask because she knows he will find a way to deny like many times before. She understands he has a reason to hide his identity due to some case's problem. Plus, Ran also need to find more evidences before jumping to conclusion.

Remember the case about Kazuha's charm, Ran remembered Conan was the one kept Heji's charm, not Shinichi. Although Kazuha said Shinichi might borrowed the charm before and Ran agree but there was still something on her face that confused me.

Ran also said something to Conan which was about ADN helps to recognize people even they change their appearance.

There was an episode Ran was so surprised by Conan's action which make her ask him if he really is Conan and again, her face make me think she was not convinced by Conan's answer.

Finally, if you noticed, Ran usually blushes when she get close to Conan in the recent chapters ( when she put a bandage on Conan's arm; when she touched her forehead to his to check his temperature; when she ask who's the one he likes, Ayumi or Haibara) etc

Anyway, it's just my opinion, maybe i was too sensitive about these things :D

If anyone has any idea please share :)

• Upvote 1

So much to say on this one. Where to start?

A common thought seems to be of Ran being given the APTX. I am absolutely against this! I am up to episode 400, and thus far (as I recall) Conan and Haibara are the only victims we've SEEN of the drug. I must emphasize SEEN, as Haibara made it clear when she arrived that the two of them were the only humans to have survived it. We have no way of knowing just how many people the Black Organization has used APTX on, but we know that it has KILLED every one of them besides Conan and Haibara. Therefore, if Ran is given the drug, the odds are that it will kill her as well. I don't even want to face the chance of this happening. (And, conversely, if Ran is given the drug and DOES revert to a child form, that would make it a lot harder to believe this drug was so dangerous/deadly as to kill EVERYONE the Organization poisoned with it aside from Shinichi.) So please, no APTX for Ran!

Next, should she even find out the truth at all? Well, I agree with the assertion that if the show just keeps doing the same thing over and over it will get stagnant. I also agree that Ran learning Conan's secret would change the tone of much of the series. Putting those two things together, I think Ran's discovery might revitalize the series and allow it to go further. It would allow for a few episodes (say 10-20) of awkwardness between them as she grows accustomed to the idea that the child who has been looking out for her for who knows how long is actually the man she loves. Then there could be plenty more episodes following that as she actively helps him preserve his secret, perhaps distracting people as he puts Kogoro to sleep to present his deductions and even learning from him to aide in those deductions. In short, working from the sidelines rather than watching obliviously. So yes, I think it should happen.

The question then becomes WHEN should Ran find out that Conan is Shinich? I think this should happen somewhere after episode 1,000 (probably on episode 1,001), letting that be the line of demarcation. As for the circumstances, I imagine Ran being in some kind of danger involving the Black Organization (though not necessarily the Organization's endgame), and Conan is put in the situation where either the knowledge of his identity will somehow save Ran, or where saving her will somehow reveal his identity to her. From a storytelling standpoint, this would be the best way to present the reveal for its dramatic tension and intensity. This would also allow Conan, after the resolution of that conflict, to adequately demonstrate the threat posed by the Organization so as to somewhat quell Ran's anger at being deceived for so long.

Finally, Ran's reaction to the revelation. In short, she will be LIVID. But, I think it will be fairly easy for Shinichi/Conan to defuse her rage, especially if the reveal is handled like I have already said. The demonstrable danger of the Black Organization should partly calm her, assuming Conan gives the FULL explanation following the incident that led to the reveal. I believe that he could then completely defuse the rest of her anger with four words. "I love you, Ran." I think the shock of hearing these words from him for the first time would take the wind out of her sails, no matter how many times Conan has seen her naked, slept with her, or whatever; all of that would leave her mind entirely in the wake of an honest, heartfelt confession. And I believe that he would do it, too. I honestly believe he was going to tell her he loved her in the restaurant where his father proposed to his mother, but he reverted back to Conan before he had the chance.

I have always been in favor of Shinichi/Ran in the real continuity (even though the fanfic series I'm writing on is a Conan/Ayumi fic), so that is how I hope things will come to pass. What do you guys think of these ideas?

• Upvote 1