Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 994-996: Following Ran

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

994 spoiler pics (5, in total, so far):

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5133605754

My thoughts:

Spoiler

We've seen Shinichi/Conan misinterpret Ran's behavior before—both with regards to Tomoaki Ariade (234–237/170–171) and with regards to Eri (105–107/32). I think it'll turn out that this case will be quite like those two.

I'd dare to say that, perhaps, Ran's trying to bait Shinichi/Conan into exposing his true identity. The case with Tomoaki Ariade took place just before Desperate Revival (251–260/188–193)—up to that point, Ran had believed Conan was Shinichi for quite some time (since File 131–File 133/Episode 96). So maybe a "love comedy" isn't all we're going to get in the case that will feature File 1000...

From the last page it seems the waiter is already dead. I think the injury in a vertical strike, which probably means that his assailant might be a tall person.

• Upvote 2

The way this case is set up, there isn't a lot of benefit to being the first discoverer. People would just think the first discoverer (aka the young lady) clonked the victim on the head. That would make the younger lady the less likely culprit. The older lady seems like a reasonable suspect. The man went to the kitchen which I assume connects to that little room with four entries. That gives him potential. My guess is that his alibi is going to be related to the cooking he did, and if there is a way to do shortcuts or not. I don't know how to feel yet, so I will pick on the lone male suspect for now.

The victim's shirt collar seems to be wet for some reason which smeared the blood or made a wet surface for the blood to soak through. I'm not sure which case it is. Was he hit, bled a bit and then water dumped on him? The vase was probably moved earlier, making the crime premeditated?

That little room with four doors provides hiding places I guess, so the culprit could go in one door and hide while people moved around or the body was discovered and then pass behind and mingle or something like that.

----

Ran's angle.

Sonoko says that maybe they could meet Shinichi in Kyoto. She might be referring to Shinichi Wada, aka Muga Iori, the ninja-like butler of Momiji who lives in Kyoto. Momiji is a rich girl, and thus might be expected to know the Suzuki family and attend Suzuki family functions.

Picture books: it seems like they are trying to judge buildings. One of them was a western building which is an odd choice for Kyoto, which is more known for its traditional architecture. Sonoko has an older sister Ayako Suzuki who is engaged to Yuzo Tomizawa. They are old characters, but they were recently mentioned again in that Kid case where Makoto was a security guard, so they haven't been forgotten. Perhaps they intend to tie the knot in a western style wedding. Sonoko may have been made responsible for researching good locations and asked Ran and Sera to help, explaining the western building and a reason for a rich girl like Momiji and her butler to be present. Attending a wedding is definitely something Conan would be expected to experience when he grows up.

Chapter 1000 may be a wedding event related to the Suzuki's in Kyoto, with Momiji and Iori present, and a case happens.

The solution of the trick wasn't what I expected, haha. I thought it was going to be like previous cases where the vase is put on some unstable surface, then dropped down with some kind of mechanism (string attached to the door, melting ice, etc)

I  was okay with the way the case worked out (not the best case Aoyama-sensei has written, but definitely not the worst either. What disappointed me is the revelation about the mysterious trip.

Really? A school trip that Conan just happened to forget about? That's the best you've got?

1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Hide contents

What were you expecting?

Something at least a little bit interesting. I mean, if it was just a school trip, all the secrecy about and "you'll understand when you're older" are just ridiculous.

23 hours ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

Something at least a little bit interesting. I mean, if it was just a school trip, all the secrecy about and "you'll understand when you're older" are just ridiculous.

Honestly, a school trip is what I was expecting from this—it makes sense if the case that features File 1000 was going to be a Shinichi/Ran rom-com situation (as was the case for File 1.... well, apart from everything before we see Ran for the first time and everything after the guy's head flew off...), as has been told to us for months by Gosho (through his postcards, etc.).

All the secrecy is about getting that reaction from Shinichi (on the last page of 996).

I'm just as interested in what's going to happen between them in this upcoming case as I am in which plot/character thread(s) we're going to be dealing with, once the upcoming case runs its course.

19 hours ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

I mean, if it was just a school trip, all the secrecy about and "you'll understand when you're older" are just ridiculous.

There was no secrecy though. Ran just said, "It's not just any regular trip..." and was about to tell him in Ch. 994 (the next line would've probably been "...it's the high school field trip!"), but they were interrupted by the murder case.

Also, the high school field trip is apparantly a very big thing in Japan, it lasts 4-5 days and apparantly is a very important and unique experience in the school life of a Japanese teenager in high school; I once also read that many high schoolers use the opportunity of such a unique experience to confess their love to their crush. And it is also an often used story point in many manga series, particular for the romance plots.

Okay, I guess I can see that now. I was hoping for a major story case spanning chapter 1000; some big revelation about the Black Organization (like Rum's identity), but as long as it's something that moves the plot along (as opposed to a throw away or filler case) I guess that's cool. Maybe we'll get lucky and this will be when Ran finally learns the truth!

I really do hope Ran will get a hint of Conan's identity. Honestly, I was a bit frustrated in Eri's kidnapping case where Ran got suspicious again with his identity but managed to slip off. Like girl, that child have been doing that same trick for a long time, aren't you sick of getting that kind of excuse everytime?

I get the feeling that the field trip chapter will be a turning point for Shinichi. Obviously, Conan will ask Haibara to make him a temporary drug for the field trip

I hope we get a scene where Ran caught Shinichi turning into Conan or even a glimpse of it. This will could be Ran's kick start to her investigation about Conan....