Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Shuukichi Haneda Discussion Thread

Well, this was apparently making the rounds on the spoiler c-box and elsewhere, but not here, so...

Shukichis_marriage_registration%20ndash%

Apparently it comes out to "Kiritake Akai."

As for the mother's name, her surname, "Sera," apparently is there, but the surname of the mother is only supposed to appear if she and the father are not married.

I think the reason this is the case is because she'd been widowed, at this point. If Kiritake Akai supposedly died just after Masumi was born, and Shukichi didn't come up with his plan to marry Yumi until he was 18—Masumi would've been 7, at that time, which means his father had been apparently dead for years, at this point. This all depends, though, if being a widow necessitates the writing of the last name.

According the marriage registration form, the part next to his parents' names, Shuukichi is the second child of his parents, so he can (still) be the Akai middle brother.

According the marriage registration form, the part next to his parents' names, Shuukichi is the second child of his parents, so he can (still) be the Akai middle brother.

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, if that's what you thought my post implied.

This is, in fact, the best evidence to the theory that Shukichi is Masumi's and Shuichi's brother, even more so than Masumi's description of her second brother to Yumi in File 928.

Are you trying to link this image ?

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/File:Fotor_145443409191863.jpg

The Wiki code doesn't work the same way as the Forums code. 

Yes, I was trying to do that, but I'm quite new, so I don't know how things work yet. ^.^ 

I wasn't suggesting otherwise, if that's what you thought my post implied.

This is, in fact, the best evidence to the theory that Shukichi is Masumi's and Shuichi's brother, even more so than Masumi's description of her second brother to Yumi in File 928.

No, I was just pointing out the detail of him being a second brother. This, with the Akai name, basically proves than he is Masumi's second older brother.

Apologies for the double post, and the necroing (if that's the proper term) of this thread after over half a year.

I forgot to consider Shukichi's shogi outfit from 847–849/731–732 (that he's wearing in the interview after the case) as a possible candidate for what the person contacting Masumi was wearing in 860/745—as far as I can tell, it's the best match for the sleeve of the person contacting Masumi during 860/745 (unfortunately, the only looks we get at it are on a phone, with the lighting all messed up).

I wonder how such a mistake happens. Like, I can see that e.g. forgetting to draw a face mask in one panel (like in the Department Store case) can happen, but this? Accidentally drawing what clearly was supposed to be Shuukichi with a childrens body instead of an high schoolers body...

3 hours ago, Serinox said:

I wonder how such a mistake happens. Like, I can see that e.g. forgetting to draw a face mask in one panel (like in the Department Store case) can happen, but this? Accidentally drawing what clearly was supposed to be Shuukichi with a childrens body instead of an high schoolers body...

At least it was actually corrected—at least it was considered a mistake that needed to be corrected.

On 12/20/2016 at 9:26 AM, Serinox said:

I am going to assume Gosho was rushing and not crosschecking reference notes for when things happen and thus got the relative ages wrong. Or maybe something even weirder happened and he meant to draw Masumi instead of Shuukichi. Either way, his editor should have been paying attention and pointed out the inconsistency. Kor pointed out there were many incongruous scenes in the flashback that simply contradicted earlier lead-up panels. The whole Akai flashback case was kind of messy and pretty odd anyway.

Personally, I think the flashback's plot was either a last minute extreme rush job that wasn't outlined properly beforehand or there must have been some serious logical or plot problem that required a total last minute rework.

I am kinda glad it got fixed because I remember everyone in the forums and cbox was real confused when that panel appeared. The apparent age difference between the kid and Shuukichi started a lot of arguments about who the child was.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

I am kinda glad it got fixed because I remember everyone in the forums and cbox was real confused when that panel appeared. The apparent age difference between the kid and Shuukichi started a lot of arguments about who the child was.

That's why this mistake needed to be fixed, more than anything else.

It even gives off a potential impression that it was done on purpose as a last effort to throw people off. While I don't think that was the case (hence my use of the word "potential"), it could come off to some like it was. Gosho, after all, as you've often pointed out, is not a cheater, in terms of mystery writing.

• Upvote 1

TW why Sukichi refers Mary as Mary-Oka-san? Isn't it odd? Just Mama or Oka-san is sufficient. It seems like as if Kichi has more than one Oka-sans so he needs to name them?

51 minutes ago, gg1998 said:

TW why Sukichi refers Mary as Mary-Oka-san? Isn't it odd? Just Mama or Oka-san is sufficient. It seems like as if Kichi has more than one Oka-sans so he needs to name them?

It's for our benefit (and Shinichi's/Conan's, so he can link the name to the name on the handkerchief). It's the kind of dialogue that is basically exposition for us.

I wouldn't look too much into it.

And, if I'm being honest, I have no desire to seriously consider the possibility that Mary isn't Shukichi's biological mother.

• Upvote 1

Well, if we consider that Shukichi grew up in England, until he was 11, it's possible that he might began saying Mary-Oka-san, because back, when he started living in Japan, he wasn't used to the japanese language, and it just became a habit for him to say Mary-Oka-san.

It's not that easy. In UK people don't call  "Insert Mom's name"-mom, but if the Mom is sort of a step-mother then this sort of thing is used by little children. Not saying that Mary isn't Kichi's biological mom but it sounds awkward.

9 hours ago, gg1998 said:

Not saying that Mary isn't Kichi's biological mom but it sounds awkward.

You bet it does. And I think that's all there is to it—it's Shukichi's own quirks + Gosho writing that piece of dialogue to confirm their mother's name is the same as the one on the handkerchief.

Now, could Gosho have instead had Shuichi address his mother this way (like, "You shouldn't reveal your nationality so readily, Mary-san..."), given their strained relationship? Sure, I think that would've been a less awkward way to confirm their mother's name is the same as the one on the handkerchief.